Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  09:24:06 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
There should never be any Pop-Up or Pop-Under ads served while you are visiting these forums.

Note, that does not go for all of Volition.com as some pages do have a single pop-tart served. These are usually tied in to the section such as the Radio Shack ads in the automotive section.

I just found out that a baner ad for Ask Jeves was "spawning" a pop-tart survey. They did not feel a survey was the same as an ad and thought it was OK. I think a pop-tart is a pop-tart regardless of the flavor. Popunder vs popup. Ad vs survey. All the same.

It only got seved 239 times before I caught it, but I still am upset.

If you ever see any poptarts get served while reading this forum, please let me know what it was and if possible what banner ad was on the main page at the time.

thanks,
Ray

LauraMarie
Star Contributor

CA
USA
412 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  08:36:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray, I'm getting them like crazy. I'm getting them from www.compuallies.com, S5000.com, thegreatestvitaminintheworld.com, advancedsts.com and a few more (that I had to delete just to be able to type this message). Don't know if there's anything you can do, but please help if you can.

Busily shopping all cities in San Bernardino County, Riverside County, Los Angeles County and Orange County.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  4:58:03 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think you may have gotten some Adware software onto your computer that could be doing this.

Is this only happening here in the forums?
On the rest of Volition.com?
On every website you visit?

See this thread for more details on Adware

Hate Spyware / Adware? Here is your chance to tell the FTC
Go to Top of Page

Richard D W
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:02:38 PM  Visit Richard D W's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
http://www.volition.com/movietix/

after clicking on that link, i got popunder ads for weatherbug and myfamily.com .

it's not coming from any other site, as i frequently run ad-aware and get rid of ad software. not sure if its a problem, but i just thought i'd let ya know that its there.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  1:19:49 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
RDW

That page is not part of the forums. The contests are very expensive to administer and we do have ads there from BurstMedia which occasionally will include Pop-tarts.

ciao,
Ray
Go to Top of Page

Debra
Star Contributor

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
629 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  10:59:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm getting an occasional pop-up when on Volition. This time, I was going into the "Recipes and Food Ideas". Last time, I think I was going into this forum ("News and Questions..."). I've seen it before too, but it's not consistent with a certain forum. The pop-up says, "Your Opinion Matters" and invites me to take a quick survey. It says it's coming from QuestionMarket.com .

I don't think it's intentional on the part of Volition, but it might be something to look into.

Edited to add: I apologize, I didn't notice what banner ad was displayed when I saw the pop-up. I will pay more attention next time it happens.

Shopping the Rockies
MSPA Gold Certified #cdgxel
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  11:17:12 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Debra

"Your Opinion Matters" and invites me to take a quick survey. It says it's coming from QuestionMarket.com .
Those are opinion survey pop-ups and are supposed to be turned off. I'll go and look to see which banner is causing that and turn it off right now.

Thanks for letting me know.
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  6:16:38 PM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Ray,
I got the same opinion pop-ups this evening. I believe they came up when I clicked on the Entertainment forum and the Frugal Living forum.
Go to Top of Page

Debra
Star Contributor

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
629 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  9:40:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got another one tonight (same pop up from QuestionMarket.com) going into the MS forum. The banner ad that came up in the MS forum was Tickle (it said "Tickle Your Brain"). The page hadn't finished loading when I got the pop up though, so I wonder if the popup actually came from the banner ad on the main page, which I didn't see....sorry.

Shopping the Rockies
MSPA Gold Certified #cdgxel
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  07:50:17 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Debra

I got another one tonight (same pop up from QuestionMarket.com) going into the MS forum. The banner ad that came up in the MS forum was Tickle (it said "Tickle Your Brain"). The page hadn't finished loading when I got the pop up though, so I wonder if the popup actually came from the banner ad on the main page, which I didn't see....sorry.
The Tickle ads are not supposed to do that, but that company has worked with QuestionMarket in the past. I just turned off the Tickle ads.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly130
Star Contributor

Tennessee
USA
1929 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  10:56:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For some reason an insurance ad sprung up on me today, Mr. Sola.
I am not concerned but thought you would like to know. I should have caught the name before closing it. Just habit.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:05:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is a first. 2 things happened today. (By the way I have my pop-up blocker on all the time...I know it's working because whenever I do a FreeBiz magazine find (as I did today) I always get 4 blocked pop-ups from them)

First - When I went to do a search before I even entered a word, only the search box was up, my spyware popped up with the word "search" as keyword but no additional information or the word Volition appeared. That's really odd.

Second - OpinionMart popped up with this information on it. (I saved it if you need it....HUGE URL)

Hello! We're conducting a study about insurance needs. By participating, you will help a major insurance company improve the products and services offered to consumers just like you.
The study will take less than 10 minutes to complete and your participation is greatly appreciated.
So just click on the button below to get started.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  10:01:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm still getting OpinionMart ad popups but noticed the LensCrafters ad is on the page when they always pop up. Correlation between the 2?
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  5:53:11 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marie In Chicago

I'm still getting OpinionMart ad popups but noticed the LensCrafters ad is on the page when they always pop up. Correlation between the 2?
I looks thru all the ads after your first post and could not find any one that should be doing that. I have turned off all the LensCrafters ads.
Go to Top of Page

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  7:28:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Twice in the past week or so when I clicked on the "Get Paid to Shop" section I have gotten a pop-up for some type of auto insurance, i.e., "Are you paying too much for auto insurance?" sort of thing. Sorry, I do not remember who it was from. Earlier today when trying edit a post, I had a pop up that wanted me to take a survey (sorry, I do not recall what it said, but it came over the left side of my screen and looked like a page that was about to be turned). I couldn't even find a spot to close this. I couldn't edit my post or do anything else on the page. I had to go back in my browser to get it to stop.

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  06:30:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been getting one that has a huge exclamation point and advertises, "Be heard. Your opinion counts." It takes up almost a quarter of the screen and floats across, in the way. It is sort of transparent, so it doesn't completely obliterate everything else, but it is extremely annoying.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2010 :  09:12:44 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jnanne

I've been getting one that has a huge exclamation point and advertises, "Be heard. Your opinion counts." It takes up almost a quarter of the screen and floats across, in the way. It is sort of transparent, so it doesn't completely obliterate everything else, but it is extremely annoying.
I know what you mean and it should not be on the forums. I have hunted it down and killed it. Thanks for letting me know.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  06:35:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ray. Wish everyone in my life were so efficient! Including me.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  11:15:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I clicked on the Random Thoughts thread about "burning the Coran" I got a pop-up in the center of the screen from VoiceFive--your opinion counts.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  09:11:31 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jnanne. I can't figure out which advertiser is causing that. I'll keep looking.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  2:51:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, again.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums