Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  12:57:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just had a floating box from OpinionMart pop up when I clicked on the catalyst control thread in the computer hardware/software q&a section.

Edited to add:
Just got the same pop-up from OpinionMart again when I logged in:

Tell us what you think!

Please take a few moments to complete our brief survey.

Your answers are very important to us!

Just click on the button below to get started!

No thanks Maybe later

here is the web address: http://survey.suitesmart.com/survey.sp?PAG=H;GID=13543;SID=100657;CRE=212877781;PLA=302619977;ADI=212877781;REF=forum.volition.com/;DOM=forum.volition.com;PAT=/ads/burst728o.html;SEA=

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  05:39:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SafeCount.net Ball bounces all around page

Natures Pride bread banner ad on right

ETA May 24:
First time entering Volition the bouncing Safe Count ad appeared again.
Natures Pride bread banner was on the page again

ETA May 26:
The Natures Pride banner ad is definitely setting off/attached to the
bouncing ad. There was no other ad on the page.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  06:53:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got the floating circle ad that Marie included in her post above. It obscured the section of the screen where I was trying to type a reply to the Coupon-vs-Hoarding thread in Frugal Living.

June 1--just got another Opinion Mart that started out as a small box, then, when I ignored it grew into one about 1/4 the size of my screen. Here's the link from the browser window on the pop-up.

http://survey.suitesmart.com/survey.sp?PAG=H;GID=13543;SID=100657;CRE=219199184;PLA=302619978;ADI=219199184;REF=forum.volition.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82467;DOM=forum.volition.com;PAT=/ads/burst160o.html;SEA=

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  5:09:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today I kept getting a Ford ad and I could not get it to shut up. When it would end, there was a video of a parrot and a cat grooming each other and then it was back to the Ford ad. I could not get it to stop. It was playing every 30 seconds. I finally gave up even looking at the Volition job ads because this pop up thing was so annoying.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  10:07:37 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JuanitaJ

I finally gave up even looking at the Volition job ads because this pop up thing was so annoying.
So, it was on the jobs board, not the forums?
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  9:19:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray, yes it was on the jobs board (at the bottom of the page) and continued all during the time I was sending my email to you. I just checked and the pop up is still there.

I was able to delete the video, but the sound continued.

I am now getting the sound of this ad each time I come to this site "Pop-Tarts in the Forums." There is no video, just sound. It plays once and then it's gone. It also played as I was editing this post to add comments.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  1:12:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am afraid to get my hopes up but for the last hour the videos with sound are gone. There are ads for Amazon.com, shoes, Febreze, and an assortment of other things. But the ads are not videos and, thank goodness, I do not have to listen to them.

I will keep checking to see if they return.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  06:53:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JuanitaJ

I will keep checking to see if they return.

They're still there, quit a few of them, 80% with sound. You can stop them from playing though, at least they stopped for me.

Are you using IE? (Screen capture pic was taken on IE)
If you use Chrome or FF you can eliminate all ADS on ALL web sites by using an extension.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  09:36:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marie, I use IE8. I can pause the ads. I can even delete the video, but the sound comes back in the background which is even more annoying to me...no picture, just noise.

I have to keep pausing over and over and really don't want to be bothered with it. So, if I really want to check the job listings, I will just need to put up with it. I get job listings already through JobSlinger and Shadowshopper so I really don't need to check the jobs on Volition.

Thanks for the info.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  06:23:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since volition doesn't have sound as part of the forum, can you just mute the sound on your computer until you leave the site?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  11:51:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jnanne

Since volition doesn't have sound as part of the forum, can you just mute the sound on your computer until you leave the site?

Are you saying to mute the sound on my "computer" or just the pop up ad? I really would not want to turn off the sound to my computer just to look at the ads.

I can mute the sound to the video ad pop up but I have to do it on every page.

Today I checked and all I am getting are pictures (not videos) with no sound. I think that is what I had been used to before these videos started popping up.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  06:16:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking that until the problem is resolved, I would mute my computer when I was annoyed, then un-mute when I moved on to another site. I sure didn't think that was a reasonable long-term solution, but just something that would allow you to browse Volition without having to listen to the irritating pop-up noise.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  06:41:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I checked again today and there is still no sound (goody). If the problem does comes back and I want to spend some time on the job list, I will do what you suggest so I don't have to keep muting every page.

I have never had anyone yet say that this is a "problem." That is what I was trying to find out...whether it was normal to have sound...or the sound should not be there. I do not look at the jobs very often but, when I did in the past, I do not recall the sound.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  06:21:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never experienced it--but I don't use the job boards here, anymore--not since moving to a different part of the country almost five years ago.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  3:47:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The sound has been gone a long time now so I'm happy.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  04:07:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just got a floating box from VoiceFive asking me to "tell us what you think by participating in a short survey." At least when I closed it it stayed closed (so far).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums