Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Games, Entertainment, Travel, Food & Food for Thought
 Entertainment
 What TV Commercials make you lunge for the remote?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  11:04:49 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw that Burger King one last night and thought "What the heck?" I was babysitting a six year old for my neighbor and he asked " Do you think he brings kid's meals too?"

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Melanie_fromNC
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
231 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  05:14:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
With elections just around the corner, the political ads are beginning to really drive me nuts. The first 100 times were tolerable but after the gazillionth time, if I see another cheesy grin saying "and I approve this message" one more time, I'm going to hurl. I'm surprised I haven't hurt myself when, like a crazy woman, I leap over furniture, bookbags, large dog, sprawled cat...whatever it takes to get to the remote and the MUTE BUTTON!! Arrrrrggggggg!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  05:45:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen the singing bellybuttons commercial? I haven't seen it in a year or so, but it drove me insane. It was close-ups of women's midriffs as they walked, and the bellybuttons sang "I'm coming out". I think it was for lowrise jeans. Whoever wrote that commercial must have had the worst acid trip, ever. Just thinking about the bellybuttons squeezing together and opening like they're "speaking" makes me crawly.

"Let's shop til we plop!" "You mean shop til we drop?" "Whatever!"
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  10:23:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That belly button commercial made me ill, too, Marie. It made me think, "oh no, what next?"

I just thought of a recent commercial that I couldn't stand while I was driving around today. This little girl was put on the honor roll at school and presented her father with the corresponding bumper sticker. "Look what I got, Daddy! Aren't you gonna put it on your car?" But the father doesn't want to because he just bought a new Nissan or something.

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:16:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, Michelle! That's awful! And the one where the dad sits his baby on the car so the diaper soaks up the spot of water. Isn't it great that these car companies sell you a car so amazing that it makes you mistreat your children? Maybe next we can have one where you mug your mother to pay for the car.

Go to Top of Page

Melanie_fromNC
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
231 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  7:14:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had to add:

Carrot Top is evil and should be destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  11:19:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marie, yeah! Actually what made me think of the Nissan commercial was when I was driving down the highway, there was a truck transporting a new vehicle. The side of the truck read, "We're delivering someone's baby!" with a picture of the sports car on it.

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  11:44:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw the Extra gum commerical where the gum is chasing after a marathoner and all you see is running feet. Not only is it creepy to be stalked by chewing gum, but why the heck does the gum have a Scottish accent?

Go to Top of Page

Carrol.Hwy101.Ca
Inactive

Paso Robles, CA
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  5:31:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know what it is about Carl's Jr, but most of their ads disgust me on one level or another. Remember this motto? "If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face!" This, of course, intoned in a tone of voice usually reserved for public service announcements and accompanied by a visual of someone cramming a huge burger dripping with catsup into their face. Ewww, show some manners!

The current one is of some poor doofus guy who didn't let his girlfriend move in, so now he is in the kitchen attempting to break a few eggs into a bowl, since she is no longer there to make his breakfasts. He breaks the eggs and gets them all over the stove, the counter, his hands and his pants. At the end, he wipes his egg-covered hands on his clothes and walks away in defeat. Ewww, ewww, ewww!

GOLD CERTIFIED
Shopping the beautiful small towns on California's Central Coast.
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  07:57:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This morning I twice saw yet another freaky car commercial. It was for an SUV that I think they called a Mountaineer. In it, the couple keeps doing zany things and getting up earlier each day to beat the other one to get to drive that car to work. One day the man gets up early and beats her to the shower. The next day the woman sleeps dressed for work. The next day the man puts a dummy in bed that looks like him and when the woman rolls over, the head falls off. Okay, ha ha, very funny.

But the first time I saw it, I walked in right when the head was falling off the dummy. All I see is this severed head and a woman in the bed looking ticked off. Maybe these ad executives should think about how things look out of context. If I were a child, that would have scared the beegezus out of me.

Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  10:06:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a V-Smile ad for the first time earlier today. Lousy commercial. In it, two kids were supposedly learning from playing w/ the V-Smile. The kids were left alone, unsupervised, in front of the tv. You hear a woman's voice, probably the mom's, that sounds like it's coming from another room in the house. The woman keeps saying stupid things like if the kids would play w/ the V-Smile, they could stay up an hour later than usual. What garbage.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  11:28:41 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jnanne

While I understand and agree with the message, I can't listen to the anti-domestic violence commercials.

Along the same line is the series of commercials aimed at parents to talk to their kids about "It's just a little pot !!"
I think your child would react the same way to them ... with equal justification.

In our household, my very senior citizen mother, reaches for the remote to turn down the volume the instant that commercial comes on. She then insists the TV be no louder than the setting she drops the volume to for that commercial. She says it is to protect our ears from the noise levels. This from the lady who has been 39 (twice).

I sometimes swear she considers the neighbor's cat walking on the grass as too loud. Unfortunately, the cat has no remote to quiet it.
Go to Top of Page

MariaA
Valued Contributor

Bowling Green, KY
USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  5:19:17 PM  Send MariaA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I despise the commercial for the automatic litter box.
And they rock, paper, scissors for it. The winner gets
to clean the litter box. Seriously? Then she dances around
about cleaning while the guy that freakishly looks like melted
wax gets a great zoom in and says "I can hear you!"
He's also the same guy that's in the commercial about something
where you block channels on your TV through you cable company.
The guy himself creeps me out.

I don't like the Sprite doll too -- he annoys me terribly.
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  7:32:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In this part of the country we get a lot of commercials for Moneytree (check cashing and loans store), and they are truly sappy (not in a good way!). I have to wonder what kind of audience they were aiming at when they decided to dress two grown adults up like caterpillars and give them cutesy lines with the kind of puns my 9-year-old could make up.
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaCA
Contributor

Bakersfield, CA
USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  9:33:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The commercial that gives me the willies is for Lamisil. Those little fungus guys lifting the toenail and climbing in to throw a party.
Then the visuals of them digging and scratching....

MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
MSSIC: CentralCalGal
Shopping Bakersfield, CA, surrounding areas and LOVING it!
Go to Top of Page

Ericas

Syracuse, NY
USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  8:03:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok, the commercial that I have to change the channel for is for a Auto Dealership here in Syracuse. He says HUGE, for Fucillo.....It's really annoying when it's on twice in a row. You get to see it two times in two minutes.

New Shopper.....
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  1:04:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a few live ones here...

There's a local commercial for a redneck radio station that focuses on a flower and plays a sweet love song, than a bulldog comes along and urinates on the flower. The ad is supposed to be "in your face," but it's really just tacky and like school on Saturday.

There's another commercial for Mattress Discounters--I'm not sure if the ad is local, regional, or national. This woman gets hit by a van as she's crossing the street to buy a mattress. It's pretty graphic...at first she almost get hit in the head by a piece of lumber, almost falls into a manhole, then gets run down by a van...but still makes it into the store to buy a mattress.

I love the Burger King ad--only because I think of everyone here when I see it. I read about it on this forum a good 2 weeks before I saw it for the first time. It's on TV alot now. What freaks me out is that the puppet seems to have this human emotion on it's face--like adoration when he's looking at the sleeping man. My boyfriend is afraid of this commercial as well.

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page

KimBie
Star Contributor

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  10:54:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If I EVER see the chick in the Old Navy "I Love Air" commercial.. she is GOING DOWN!!!! That's right behind the Old Navy commerical with the kids who can't wait to mow the lawn.

OLD NAVY HAS THE MOST ANNOYING COMMERICALS KNOWN TO MAN!!!

Kim
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  12:57:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kimbie,

You'd probably shoot my co-workers and I. We love those Old Navy commercials! At any time of the day someone might just yell out "MOWING THE LAWN IS BLOWING MY MIND!" or "THANKS, FIRST GUY, FOR WRITING HISTORY DOWN!".

EricaS and Christina WNY,

I haven't heard of these Fucillo dealerships. Kind of odd that they are in Syracuse and Buffalo but skipped Rochester in between. Maybe they knew that the unstable Rochester citizens would do them great harm if they played those comercials here. I don't know if you guys have the Dick Ide (this name always brings out the snickering 4th grader in me) dealerships. If I hear the owner say "You can't stack cars" one more time I just might snap!

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  3:27:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wait...guys are driving around New York State with the name Dick on the backs of their cars?

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums