Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Angela G.
Star Contributor

Boutte, LA
USA
279 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  4:57:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else heard of this? Supposedly a virus through Pinecone through a program they asked you to download? I checked Snopes and came up with nothing. I currently am running Microsoft One Care and nothing has popped up.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  6:51:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is not called AristiScope. It is ArtistScope PlugIn IE 42. Any file you download should be scanned first? I've had it on my computer for a while now. I just scanned the PlugIn again to copy the results.
I've had no problems nor warnings.
Results
Number of items scanned: 1
Number of items detected: 0
Number of items repaired: 0
Number of items quarantined: 0
Number of items removed: 0
Go to Top of Page

Angela G.
Star Contributor

Boutte, LA
USA
279 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  10:00:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marie, I knew if anyone knew anything it would be here.
Go to Top of Page

Clinton
Apprentice

Elsmere, KY
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  05:16:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pinecone is one of those that gives the industry a good name. My two year association has been nothing but the best. It works like this. Occasionally an email will arrive inviting me to a survey. It is my commitment and duty to click on the link they provide and complete the survey immediately. Never have I had to track their payouts, which occur soon after the survey has been completed and closed. I was glad to see Karens' post in this forum. Karen has been a blessing to deal with and Pinecone was one of my best finds, second to Volition of course ;-).

Wayne
Northern KY
Go to Top of Page

JudithRa

Summersville, MO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  05:38:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My intentions were well meant, This is why I am so hesitant to post threads, I will be careful from here on out.

Judith
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  05:54:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Actually I did win a sweep survey. $2500 in 2005.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  12:45:28 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I contacted Karen and she replied with what I suspected:

Thank you for your email! Trend Micro software improperly detects the plugin and flags it as a possible virus. They indicate this possibility in their alerts and offer the option to submit it for analysis. They have been notified by Artistscope. Thank you for asking.

Thanks
Karen Scott
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  1:39:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am sure it is just a tracking cookie that they use to collect information and sell it.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page

TonyFrost
Apprentice

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  2:10:51 PM  Visit TonyFrost's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not totally sure why you need a plugin to participate in a survey.

Granted, Pinecone research have a good reputation at the momemt and it would destroy them if it,(the plugin), was found out to be some form of spyware.

Just have to take their word for it I s'pose!

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Anna-L
Valued Contributor

TN
USA
223 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  11:23:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You need the plug in to be able to view the photos....that's what they said in their e-mail.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

LeaF
Valued Contributor

Brooklyn, NY
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  11:13:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pinecone is NOT what it used to be. Just completed a so called prelim for a sweep which was a multiple page survey in disguise. Said it would take 6 minutes, took much longer. If they had been honest & stated it was a survey for a sweep I would not have accepted but they said it was a prelim, no way. They entice you by stating the prelim will lead to more surveys. I am angry at myself for completing it. They are using this tactic more & more. Previously, prelims were actually very short honest prelims. This would have been a paid survey. I will see what happens, may no longer accept any prelim sweeps. Also am receiving very few paid surveys, why should they when they can offer sweeps or disingenuous prelims. I read somewhere but, don't remember where, that Nielsen bought Pinecone & then rewards were lowered. Nielsen is a well known survey company but very miserly when it comes to rewarding survey takers. Would like to know if Nielsen now owns Pinecone.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  2:35:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nielsen is a well known survey company but very miserly when it comes to rewarding survey takers
Did you mean 'Pinecone,' LeaF?
Go to Top of Page

LeaF
Valued Contributor

Brooklyn, NY
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  4:35:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Clare - I edited my post regarding Nielsen. Would like affirmation if Nielsen owns Pinecone. If incorrect, I will delete my reference to Nielsen.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  6:38:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Would like affirmation if Nielsen owns Pinecone. If incorrect, I will delete my reference to Nielsen.

Hm-m-m, LeaF; I don't know the answer to that.....will try to find out.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  6:50:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Copied From the PineCone web site

About PineCone.
PineCone is a business owned by a subsidiary of The Nielsen Corporation, a global market research company. The Nielsen Corporation headquarters are located at 770 Broadway, New York, New York 10003 USA.
Go to Top of Page

LeaF
Valued Contributor

Brooklyn, NY
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  7:20:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marie, thank you for the information.
Go to Top of Page

New Mexico Jill
Valued Contributor

New Mexico
USA
134 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  11:00:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love this company. I always get my $3 within a week after finishing every survey. I think Pinecone is one of the most considerate survey companies out there. They never make you waste 15 minutes "prequalifying" only to find out you aren't eligible for the survey.

Last time I took a survey, I was asked if I wanted to participate in sweepstakes-only surveys. They said it was completely optional and would have no bearing on my Pinecone membership. I opted out thinking "what are they, nuts?? I want guaranteed money!" But I suppose if enough people feel the way I do and opt out, chances will be great for the people who opted in....
Go to Top of Page

ChrisGA

Jesup, GA
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  05:35:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've applied for PineCone twice and heard nothing back either time. Do they only take people from certain demographics when they are accepting applications?
Go to Top of Page

Misha
Star Contributor

NV
USA
827 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  2:47:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think it is certain demographics but I could be wrong. My mom signed up twice and never heard back, either.
Go to Top of Page

YMann

Cumming, GA
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  03:15:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get a lot of survey's from pincone but I must not qualify because I rarely get paid. Only entered in sweepstakes

Yvonne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums