Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  03:19:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I park my car under a carport, and there are some birds that 'live' above my car in the rafters. Every day it seems, I walk to my car to find MORE bird droppings on my car. UGH! GROSS! I am getting tired of having to clean my car practically every day. I've thought about putting a car cover on it, but that would also need to get cleaned often.

Does anyone know any kind of deterrent that works to drive birds to go elsewhere without hurting them? I'm thinking along the lines of some kind of sprayed agent that the birds don't like, so they won't come back, though I will consider ANYTHING.

My cat is not an outdoor cat, so she can't help me.

The ants are gone, now for the birds.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~

Jnanne
Star Contributor

Shreveport, LA
USA
2830 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  06:28:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I was a kid my grandfather kept plastic snakes in the garden and a fairly realistic-looking owl in the Apple Tree nearby. I was too young to remember whether it really worked, or if he just thought it was a fun thing for the neighbors to talk about.

Jnanne
Silver certified and looking for work near my new home
Go to Top of Page

TraciLA

CA
USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  12:07:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yep, the owl thing works really well! We went to Wal Mart or one of those types of stores, and picked up a serious looking owl to keep pigeons off the roof, and I'll be darned, it really worked! Or, perhaps you could make your own "scarecrow" type of thing.
Go to Top of Page

BarbIN
Valued Contributor

OH
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  5:05:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Even a balloon with eyes painted on will work. It's more effective if the balloon is on a short string so it can move with the wind. This helped me get rid of some destructive woodpeckers . . . good luck!
Go to Top of Page

KFoy
Contributor

Vancouver, WA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  5:18:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alot depend on what kind of birds you have but if you can scare the birds away with a water pistol then tear down their nests, but some birds are protected so check with your Audubon Society. My sister had this problem and she got a device that has a motion sensor and when it is triggered it will either turn on music, spray water or turn on lights depending on how it is set. It worked very well for her. Good Luck!

Katherine
Shopping SE Washington and Portland, OR, Gold Certified, SQM level 9 shopper
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5938 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  7:23:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I was growing up we had a small fruit orchard in our back yard. We grew the most delicious peaches and apricots but it was an ongoing battle with the birds. Our homemade remedy was to punch holes in tin can lids and string them up in the trees. It actually worked. You might start a new decorating trend!
How times have changed for me. I don't have any fruit trees but I do grow vegetables and loads of flowers. As I am an organic gardener, I now look forward to the birds visiting my yard. I have hummingbird feeders and was actually thinking of setting up a hummingbird-cam and website so more people can enjoy watching them. I have grown to love listening and watching the birds. I love the Mockingbirds. They have nests all over my yard and my neighbors. I sit and watch the babies learn to fly. My problem is trying to keep the cats away from them.
Well, good luck.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  9:10:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about birds. But, I think it does matter what breed the birds are. I'm used to seeing bird doo doo-covered plastic owls around here. In other words, some birds are not scared by the fake owls.

Now, I know one thing that works on preventing dogs and cats from using people's front lawns as public bathrooms: real or concentrated big cat urine. I know it sounds gross. But, people have actually gone to zoos to get just a tiny bit of big cat urine. (I've read that there are also small bottles of these products available for sale.) Spray or spread it on the fences or trees around your front yard or something similar. The dogs and cats take one whiff and run away... because they think a tiger, lion or some other predator has marked that territory. I don't know if there's an equivalent for birds, though.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  11:12:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for all your contributions and suggestions, everyone! I really appreciate it.

I don't know what breed of birds they are . . . nothing unusual or exotic, I'm sure . . . just your typical, ordinary, everyday birds (can you tell I know nothing about birds?!).

I think I'll try the owl (or pseudo-owl) method, and see how that works. Maybe some of the fake owls are not scary enough? *shrug* I don't know.

Believe it or not, I had a dream last night that I climbed up to the rafter and dragged down a nest, afraid there might be some eggs in it, waiting to hatch (because I don't want to hurt the birds or their babies). There were no eggs, just some really pretty pebbles. Go figure.

Luckily, at least in my dream, no birds came around to attack me for tampering with their nest. That's a good sign!

Barbara, you cracked me up with your big cat urine theory. If the owl or pseudo-owl doesn't work, that will be my next attempt.

Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  2:02:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Linda, if even the big cat urine doesn't work, I've got another (wacky) idea. Do you like cornish game hens? If so, cook some, eat them. Save the bones. Then, arrange them strategically up above your car -- in dramatic, agonizing "death poses".

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  8:16:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hahaha!!! I'm not so sure about that idea . . .

I don't think I'm quite creative enough to make that idea work!

Thanks for the laugh, though!

Go to Top of Page

ConnieS
Star Contributor

Matthews (near Charlotte), NC
USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  7:14:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara N.CA

Linda, if even the big cat urine doesn't work, I've got another (wacky) idea. Do you like cornish game hens? If so, cook some, eat them. Save the bones. Then, arrange them strategically up above your car -- in dramatic, agonizing "death poses".

I've got a better one than that and it was my first inclination when I read the title of the post.

Just stand there and yell "Shoo, Shoo." (Sorry, I'm invisioning an old lady in a bathrobe with curlers in her hair and a broom)

MSPA Gold Certification q4rzw0
Go to Top of Page

Susan_CA
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
134 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  7:39:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
At the shopping center near my work, they put some sort of sharp metal that would be uncomfortable for the birds to land on. How about calling and finding out if there is a local business that installs anything like that. You don't have to even use this solution but you could pick their brain and find out what businesses are using for this problem.

Shopping Los Angeles and Orange Counties
MSPA Gold Certified 8/2003
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  10:58:16 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just came across this article while researching something else.

Coping With Nuisance Birds - October 8, 2003
Jeff Schalau, County Director, Agent, Agriculture & Natural Resources
Arizona Cooperative Extension, Yavapai County

http://cals.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/nuisancebirds.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums