Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

LesaP

McEwen, TN
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  07:04:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any experience with Set and Service Staffing - SASS?
TIA

ADMIN NOTE:
Name changed to
Set and Service Resources Corporation

MSPA Gold Certified # tcojnx
Shopping the middle TN area!

Set and Service Staffing
Apprentice

Oak Ridge, NC
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  9:26:49 PM  Visit Set and Service Staffing's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
SASS is basically a temp agency for the reset/merchandising business. The work is mostly project work/reset work. The pay is good and is usually a flat fee per project/reset, so if you are efficient and work quick you can average really good money an hour. Payday is every two weeks. The company does a great deal of work in Lowe's Home Improvements and Home Depots, with many large accounts, like General Electric. Projects vary in length and in money, but a typical set may be like a two day reset for 240 dollars. The owner is a great guy to work for, fair and honest. If you want to check out their website and apply online for project work in your area go to sasstaffing.com .

Set and Service Staffing
Go to Top of Page

MargaretDavis
Apprentice

Chicago, IL
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  12:08:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I recently had an interview with this company. The owner asked me when I could start and he did contact my references. I am relunctant to go out on assignment before resolving details of the contract. I emailed the owner within a few hours of my telephone interview and after reviewing the contract, but he did not respond.

My question to him asked for clarification on the workman's compensation insurance. The contract requires me to purchase my own workman's compensation insurance and permits their company to withhold my check unless I provide them with original copies of the policy on demand. Why would anyone turn over an original insurance policy?

My hesitation was based on the combination of the following:

The contract paid $140/day, but every location he gave me was 2-4 hours away from my address. This is close to minimum wage without calculating any time in a store.

The company does not cover mileage. It was my understanding that any job that required a person to use their personal vehicle for company business is required to compensate for that use. This seems even more unrealistic given the low pay and distances involved.

The company required me to have my own tools. I do. The concern I have is that these are hardware resets and I would have to engrave (or otherwise mark) all of my items in order to leave a store. I've always used the store's tools in other resets and I have never met a manager that did not have drills, etc. for vendors to use. Of course, this would not be a concern in another type of store because they do not carry tools for sale.

I believe open communication is extremely important anytime but absolutely essential in the workplace. Of everything that has transpired, I am most concerned about being completely ignored regarding what I believe to be a very legitimate question regarding the insurance matters.

Thank you for your time,
mjd

Margaret
Go to Top of Page

LesaP

McEwen, TN
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  8:51:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I emailed them and told them that I had no intentions of purchasing workman's compensation insurance and never heard another word from them. My personal opinion is that if I am an independent contractor I should be able to work with or without worker's compensation insurance, that should be my choice. I just figure they lost a good worker.

MSPA Gold Certified # tcojnx
Shopping the middle TN area!
Go to Top of Page

Liza

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  05:39:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was hired on as a temp. employee, not an IC. I am paid a more than fair hourly wage and mileage to the stores I agree to work. There was some trouble getting it set-up, but it was resolved quickly and I was paid as promised. They send 4-5 emails for new projects each week, so I can stay pretty busy with them alone. I am required to have my own tools and I have never had a problem exiting a store with them. Although I do notice the client reps. also bring in their own tools and they are available to use.

The people on the teams all are very friendly and they work as a team! It's a real pleasure to connect up so well with a group of hardworkers. I would recommend them to other merchandisers.

Merchandising Northeast Ohio
MSPA Silver Certified
20+ years Retail Management Experience from Specialty to Department Store
Go to Top of Page

RickB

Chico, CA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2004 :  11:54:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked them on a project and they told me that I would be recieving a flat rate for the work each night. $140 per night. Then the third night it did not take all night and they only paid me $40 for the work.

I do not feel they are very honest company and would hesitate recommending anyone to work for them. Even after trying to talk to the rep there I got the run around about it.

Rick
Northern California
Merchandiser
Go to Top of Page

LoriJennings
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  10:22:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I spoke to someone at SASS, and they do not require anyone to purchase workman's comp. insurance anymore. Does anyone have any recent experience with this company? Please post feedback if you do. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Laurence-MA

MA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  06:00:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, I did my first reset with them last week, great folks to work for, team lead was excellent as a boss, work was heavy but work is work. I would recommend them to all, no tools needed on the set as the team lead had them all, but I brought my own on the second day of the reset, it made my job easier. My schedular Andrea is great to work with, helped me with my paper work and I have confidence that I will be paid as stated. I look forward to working with/for them in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Patty-Recruiter
Valued Contributor

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  3:01:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Please go to their website for free registration:
www.sasstaffing.com

Retail stores such as: Lowes/Home Depot/Target
If you live near these areas, register for future resets.

Dependable Temporary Labor and Permanent Staffing Solutions
for Retail Service Organizations throughout the USA.
Permanent, year round employment as well as project based jobs.
Merchandising
Remodels
New Store set-ups
Training
Demonstrations
Surveys
Assembly
Carpentry
Fixture Installation
Special Projects

Go to Top of Page

StanWebster39

Pride, LA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  2:17:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I work for them and they are a great company to be employed by. The area managers, especially Marleen Walden, are very efficient and will help you in any way possible. If you dont mind putting in a good 8-12 hours work and can get along with fellow workers then you can get just about as many projects as you desire.They also pay on time.I have thoroughly enjoyed working for them so far.

Stan the man Webster
Serving South Central Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

RogerGlo
Apprentice

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  10:51:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They seem to be having trouble meeting their payroll. They have stopped returning calls and answering E mail. Anybody else had the same problem?
Go to Top of Page

KaySFbay
Star Contributor

Redwood City, California
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  10:11:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's my experience with SASS.

I registered with them on their web page. A few days later the first phone call comes. They want me to assemble furniture at a location 65 miles away from here. $9 an hour. No mileage. I laughed a little (the scheduler was clearly under pressure and desperate), said, "No, thanks." I assumed that was the end of it.

As if.

They started calling me every other day, begging me to go to this or that far-flung location to assemble furniture. I tried to reason with them. "Look, guys, I don't WANT to assemble furniture. Second, by the time I factor in mileage and travel time, I'd be working for peanuts. OK? Get it?"

Sometimes the calls were the same scheduler, sometimes it was someone else. Never had anything anywhere near where I live. Finally the calls stopped and if I'm very, very lucky, SASS has deactivated me.

Kay
Go to Top of Page

Andrea_Calif
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  1:16:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kay,

I had pretty much the same experience though I was offered higher pay. Since we are in the same area I suspect we were getting calls for the same jobs. My calls tended to come at 9:00 or 10:00 at night for jobs early next morning that were a couple of hours away.

I got a desperate call asking me to fill in for not one, but two people that didn't show up. It would have been nice if they had told me BEFORE I did a day's work that they want your I-9 form notarized. Okaaaay... but then they also tell you that a notary can't legally notarize an I-9, but "this is how you get around it..." Huh?

Nice scheduler, but I was less than impressed.
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  1:25:51 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My bank did it for me, no problem. They didn't charge me either

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

Andrea_Calif
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  5:06:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It wasn't the notarized I-9 that was a concern. It was the fact that they tell you it isn't supposed to be done and yet has to be done all in the same breath.
Go to Top of Page

Laurence-MA

MA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  5:21:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RogerGlo

They seem to be having trouble meeting their payroll. They have stopped returning calls and answering E mail. Anybody else had the same problem?
Gee I do not know where you got that info, as I got paid today by them, direct deposit. I have not had any problems, and Andrea (my scheduler) ALWAYS answers my e-mail even though they are on a different part of the planet with a different time frame. I look forward to future work with them, just wish they had more day work in Massachusetts.
Go to Top of Page

Liza

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  03:27:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I posted back in September on this company and I still stand by what I said. They've been great to work with. I setup the DD and have no problems getting paid. They pay per hour in our area ranges based upon distance from the store, and it always has been that way. The further away the store is the more you get paid.

Debbie is my scheduler and she is wonderful. I am on her list to sub-in too. She's only called me twice at home for other people who weren't going to show, otherwise I get an email asking if I'm interested in picking up the extra work.

The team leaders are all great, they know what they are doing, and work just as hard side by side with you. I really do like working with them.

Merchandising Northeast Ohio
MSPA Silver Certified
20+ years Retail Management Experience from Specialty to Department Store
Go to Top of Page

RickB

Chico, CA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:51:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wowo Liza you are verly lucky. I have never had anything good with this company. Lots of run arounds and flat out lies from the people I have worked with. Which really stinks as I enjoyed the work in Lowes.

Rick
Northern California
Merchandiser
Go to Top of Page

Kim in MO
Trainee

Columbia, MO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  6:05:25 PM  Send Kim in MO an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just updated my application, and I'm hoping to get a call soon. Does anyone know if they have evening &/or weekend only jobs? I'm wondering if there are just no openings in my area or if the time I have available is too slim.

Silver Certified & My NARMS report card says I passed!
Columbia, MO
~Kim~
Go to Top of Page

DennisM

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  10:38:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kim in MO

I just updated my application, and I'm hoping to get a call soon. Does anyone know if they have evening &/or weekend only jobs? I'm wondering if there are just no openings in my area or if the time I have available is too slim.
Hang in there and keep in touch. In my experience weekend work is uncommon with them, but I've worked a number of night time jobs. In general in merchandising the bulk of the work is during the week, but night time work is common. There are, of course, exceptions particularly in what I think of as "hit and run merchandising"--small jobs in a lot of stores--and independent contractor assembly work. With Set and Services you pretty much have to be available for the whole shift, which can run 8 to 10 hours. With your schedule I'd look at companies that do reset work in supermarkets and IC work. Remember that most stores busiest time is during the weekends. I've done it, but many places are not happy to see merchandisers on the weekends.

Set and Services has been a very good company for us. We had a problem with one check, but there is obviously a very strict company policy about returning calls. Both of the people I had contacted called me and the problem was taken care of quickly. My partner and I have worked a number of projects with them as part-time employees. It can be very physical work, but the pay is good and they've always paid us every dime we had coming.

D Murry
Go to Top of Page

Patty-Recruiter
Valued Contributor

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  11:58:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
YES, they have day and night resets for projects.
Permanent employment routes are day hours only.

www.sasstaffing.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums