Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  2:26:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Know what you mean, too much $$ either way, then you have a home line for FAXES yada-yada, there's no winning in most cases.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  2:36:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MindyZ

Know what you mean, too much $$ either way, then you have a home line for FAXES yada-yada, there's no winning in most cases.

MindyZ

Depending on what you use you fax line for, it can be cheap.

If you just receive, then efax.com is free. You get a free fax # but it will be an out-of-state fax #. Efax is what I use for receiving faxes.

If you send only a few a month, there are free places that work great like FaxZero.com . There are limits. There are a bunch of sites that allow you to send faxes for free with limits.

But even if you fax regularly, if that is the only reason why you have a land line, then you may want to look into online fax services as they can be cheaper than the cost of the landline and ink/toner and paper for the fax machine.

I have to say, though, it is beyond me why faxing in this day and age is even an option. Scanners and email pretty much eliminate the use for a fax, yet so many companies still use fax.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  3:39:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use Net10, $50 for unlimited, you just have to buy the phone, smart phones start at $150. and no contract. I have better coverage than Verizon or At&t, since Net10 pays other providers to use their towers. I've been with them for several years, I was with Verizon for 2 years, but went back as soon as the contract was up.

I don't have a dedicated fax line, I use my regular phone as a fax when needed. I don't receive faxes, but sometimes need to send outgoing faxes. My printer is the HP8500A and it's a 4-n-1. Love it. As much as I print in a month's time, I was able to justify the purchase of a $300 (at that time) printer in less than 3 months. Now, the newer version is only $150 this week at Staples.

I have a landline because the only way that I can get DSL service in my area is thru my phone company. They have just started allowing naked DSL, and it's much cheaper than having the landline and DSL together.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  9:06:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Marla,

Thanks for the information about the landline but could you please explain what naked DSL is? I m not familiar with the term and its sounds like something I may be able to use to get my phone costs down.

TIA Mia
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  9:25:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like it means you don't need to have phone service to get the DSL. You can buy and use the DSL all alone, eliminating the expense of the landline.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  07:15:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Daughter does this w/Verizon.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

BrianHanson37
Valued Contributor

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  8:56:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Love this company, pay well and have a lot of work depending on the area, and it provides a good chance to get hired on FT.

One thing I will say is if you make a deal with a recruiter, make sure its paid ASAP! I had a hotel booked and they modified the gas rate, only to never get it paid. I called them three times, showed them their emails they sent to me, and nothing. It was only $50, but I won't forget this.
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  06:00:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We tried to apply and "line up enough stores" to make a viable week of work with this company a couple of times, all they let us have were just a few of them, all too far away to make it profitable.

I have seen where they have "upped" their pay a little, but it's not enough to pay for the distance we have to travel.

As to "keeping their word" a lot of companies will "do what it takes / tell em' what they wanna hear" to get bodies on a project, the companies that we have stayed with have always kept their word and paid as promised, the ones that have not do not hear from us again, their loss, not our gain but we aren't out any $$

Brian, no matter how you look at it $50.00 is still 50 dolah, 5-0 bucks, 50 smackers, for us that's enough gas to cover a weeks local work, that's 7 fast food lunches (both of us) or more if you can handle McD's for a week.

As long as you made enough money working their project that $50.00 is negligable that is fine, if your "not going to forget it" sounds to hubby like you didn't, keep that in mind when negotiating future work with them.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  1:16:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been talking to other SaSR employees in my area. From what they told me, it seems obvious that the higher up the ranks you go, the more jobs that you can see available in your job searches.

For instance, I am at "Entry" position. I see hardly any jobs in my area every day when I search for jobs. However, the other SaSR employees that are in my area are either at "Qualified" or "Journeyman" position and they see way more jobs for my area than I do. This is something that's good to know, I think.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

BrianHanson37
Valued Contributor

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  7:36:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MindyZ:I won't forget this, haven't worked for them since, and when I get a call for it, I will bring this up and decline work until its paid.

Larry:I'm not sure if I've seen more jobs since I went from Entry to Qualified, but I know Journeyman status allows you to bid on your hourly rate for the job, which would be nice to have!
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  06:28:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
But guess who gets called to do the crap jobs the upper level people don't take.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  07:24:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert A. Miller

But guess who gets called to do the crap jobs the upper level people don't take.

My guess is these are the jobs that finally make it into the website queue for "entry" level people and other people they could not get a hold of by phone. But that's they way it works. I'm a newb so I take the crap jobs to get established in the industry. I have never been paid less than $12/hr by SaSR for a crap job and never saw one posted for my area for less than $11. That's more than most companies have paid me thus far.
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  12:12:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Robert, hubby couldn't agree with you more with the exception of:

Job definition:

a cr@p job: Sorting product, picking up card board, sweeping, dusting, pulling pallets of product out for the "pros" for less than $10.00 an hour.

A good job: Sorting product, picking up card board, sweeping, dusting, pulling pallets of product out for the "pros" for $15.00 an hour, (both of us) we'll whistle while we work.

During the course of a reset we do all of the above and more, the work we perform during a reset depends on what the companies are willing to pay and what we are willing to work for, if we come to an "agreement" then we're good to go and they have no worries.

Almost all of our projects are based on $15.00 an hour (each) in most cases there is no overtime, once we figure out what we are doing, find our short cuts and have established a set "work time" we make better money just for cutting that work time. Get the sets done sooner and start the next set for the following day and so on.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  8:38:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get calls all the time from companies wanting me to do resets for 8 or 9 an hour. Mostly because no one else will do it for that rate. Then you know it is not worth the trouble.
Most of the flat rate jobs work out well. You get past the learning curve on the first and second job, they go great. Even the "bad store" goes fairly well. Every now and then you get a totally misrated job. Sometimes you just take the bad with the good, especially if the company takes care of you. Sometimes a job just does not get rated well, or the company under bid the job, and are now stuck to get it done. That is the fun and challenge of merchandising
Go to Top of Page

DarlaR.
Valued Contributor

TX
USA
127 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  09:24:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LarryT - I have a Straight Talk phone from Walmart. It runs off the Verizon network. The plan is $45 a month unlimited everything and you can also purchase smartphones thru Straight Talk also.

Darla
Go to Top of Page

MikeRMO

MO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  09:56:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Brian, have you or any of you other folks been doing the 10 night resets thru SASR for Resource Plus. If so, can you let me know what department and how smoothly it's been going. On SASR site, it does say overtime is approved for this job, and they are scheduled 10 hours per night 5 nights for 2 weeks. thanks, Mike
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  12:45:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If it's a "Remerch" job, then there will be a letter following it. So, if is a Lowes remerch, it will say "Remerch L". Homedepot="Remerch H. I have no Idea what store "P" stands for but I see a remerch job in MO that says "Remerch P" so I am guessing there is a home improvement or home center store in MO that starts with the letter P.

If you take one of these jobs, please be prepared to have comfortable, tight fitting shoes (steal-toe preferrable), work gloves, and prepare for a lot of beam movement and heavy lifting of big bulky items. These jobs are largely medium to heavy duty manual labor, especially if you are male. each remerch job will be different but always prepare to do heavy work.

Here is a list of tools I found are very important to bring...

-A decent cordless drill with a nice selection of screw driver bits and sockets up to 3/4 in or so. A Skil would be OK, but a Harbor Freight may be too bulky for some applications on these jobs.
-A rubber mallet but one of the bigger, heavier ones.
-Large and medium sized screw drivers both philips and flat. the large flat head will be handy when removing beams. Should be about 8 or 9 inches long.
-Pliers & cutters
-Box cutter
-form-fitting work gloves like mechanics gloves.
-a pair of medium or large vise grips may come in handy
-a decent, well-made tool bag to put all this stuff in. You can get a Husky at Home Depot for 30-40 dollars. Very tough.
-measuring tape.
-If you have a little ratcheting socket set, it might come in handy, but not necessary.
-black marker
-pen

I worked with some SASR people who did not bring any tools, but if you choose to not bring tools, be prepared to be shunned by others. No one likes to loan tools to others who make no effort to bring their own tools at all. Don't expect to borrow from others and NEVER just take a tool out of someone's bag. There was a SaSR temp that did this a few times to me and I had to tell him eventually that he needs to ask me if he wants to use my tools or bring his own. I pay money for my tools and I don't want to lose them because someone else decides my tools are their tools too. While it may be a good idea to label your tools with your name or SaSR #, that will only help you find a tool that goes missing, but will not likely deter theft or loss. Keep an eye on your tools. If you loan any to anyone, do it sparingly and always go hunt it down if you don't get it back within a half hour or an hour. People will borrow your tools, use them, leave them sit wherever, and then you have to go hunt them down and waste time. If you just leave it sit, someone else will find it, use it and then lay it somewhere else and finding it can be a real pain and even impossible.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
394 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  2:09:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
See if the "P" means Petsmart or Petco. These are both beam area stores in bulk pet foods. Otherwise "P" may be a regional store.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  3:01:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert A. Miller

See if the "P" means Petsmart or Petco. These are both beam area stores in bulk pet foods. Otherwise "P" may be a regional store.

Petco is usually lsited at PTCO.

But it can't be a pet store because it specifically says home store.

Besides, I don't know about petsmart but the petcos in our area don't use beam/bay shelving, just gondolas like in a grocery store.

At any rate, I find it odd that SaSR doesn't let you know all these details ahead of time. They make it seem like they are a mystery shopping company or something. I see no reason to not be able to know all the specifics, including hiring company and store before you even apply for the assignment. It seems a waste of time for the schedulers. I have to apply. Then the scheduler has to approve. then, once approved you get the details, then you can decline or accept if you don't like the store, instructions, team lead, company, etc. Seems like if you knew all the details beforehand it could save a bit of time and hassle.
Go to Top of Page

MikeRMO

MO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  7:37:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your valued input Larry. The job is a remerch-p
as you said. And your L & H designations make sense, but this one with a P is indeed a Lowe's remerch, and I signed up and accepted.

I've been on SASR payroll since '04, and I agree with the logic of making it known upfront, what type of job is being scheduled and their client company, as well as all the details. It seems they used to provide all of this initially, so I don't know why that changed.

Just for FYI, as for Petsmart, they do use the steel beam racking on much of the perimeter walls. Back several years ago, you could nearly make a real job of SASR in this midwest area, doing total remodels (Petsmart) remerch (Lowes & Home Depot) new store construction and remodels (Orscheln Farm & Home) among others. Certainly not that consistent now. But after nearly a year since the last SASR job I did, at least this one is not .5 hour or 1 or 2 or 4 or 6 hours.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums