Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

SharonC

Jacksonville, FL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  2:24:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok...for ppl worried about the cost of a phone...VIRGIN MOBILE has plenty of plans for less than $35 that include internet service on their PayLo plans. Their regular plans start at $35/mo for 300min and unlimited messaging and internet.

FAXING : FaxZero and MyFax are both FREE. Fax Zero lets you send 2 (3pg) faxes per day and MyFax will let you send an unlimited amount of pages.

Home Phone...go for a vOIP service like Vonage or sign up for Google Voice which is FREE and can also be used on your cell so that you don't use up any of your plan minutes and get free long distance.

Boy... wish SASR had a lot of work in my area. They did when I started out w/them back in O6 but for the last 3 yrs they've had absolutely nothing in FL/GA until just recently and no good paying jobs either..just a lot of piddly resets and labeling. There's no money in merchandising anymore. I used to make $600/wk AVG and now I'm lucky if I make $300-400. :( Also can't afford to drive to many of these jobs on the little bit of travel pay the give.

Don't let them make you work for free. YOUR time is worth $$$. Demand compensation for it.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  12:57:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am beginning to dislike SaSR. Not because they are a bad company. But I am finding that they just try to staff the same jobs that other companies I have found are trying to staff and they usually pay less than everyone else, they never pay mileage, their "estimated mileage" is always too low and any travel pay they pay is usually only good to cover gas one-way if you drive a small car.

It looks like what the hireflex system is designed to do is calculate mileage from the shortest point between 2 zip codes. But if you live on the far side of your zip code and the store you will be working at is located at the far side of it's zip code, you could be looking at a serious amount of extra miles over what the hireflex system states. And this can mean the difference between getting travel pay and not getting travel pay. I don't know if this is what is happening, but it sure seems that this is the most likely case.

Well anyhow, What I do anymore is use SaSRs to see what they have available. Then I try to find other companies that are looking to staff the same job for higher pay. If I can't find any, then I might take the job from SaSR. It just depends where it is, what it is, etc, etc, etc.
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  5:21:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LarryT, hubby got a narms offer for a project near us, pay is listed as $11.00 an hr. below or minimum but he worked for them years ago and they weren't great then (he was team lead for a traveling circus then) the help they sent was nothing but a bunch of druggies or headaches, he worked a gig for them after that and the crews they sent in were a joke, it's hard to take these companies seriously when the only thing they have to do is provide a body (not a worker).

MndyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  6:12:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, to SaSR's defense, it's not really a problem that is unique to them.

I would say that at least 80% of the temps I have worked with in merchandising thus far are worthless - and it doesn't matter if they are with SaSR or another company. You will find that many merch temps are those types of folks that prefer to get their income from a welfare check. The only reason why they are working that temp job is because, since temp merch jobs are easy to get when they are available, they have to work for a little while until they can start collecting welfare again or because they can make so much money while they are getting welfare without losing the "benefit" so they figure it's easy money and they don't have to do a good job because they're just a temp looking to supplement a welfare check.

I'm not talking or complaining about the people that are new. Everyone has to start somewhere and you have to put up with newbies as we were all newbies-so long as they put forth the effort to learn what to do. After all, I am fairly still new myself and I don't know everything. But if you have a good team lead then even newbies can actually be used as productive workers.

But most temps, when you shoe them how to do something, they usually just take it as "hey, he just did it for me so I don't have to do it." Then when they have to do it again, you have to show them again, and they still never learn because they don't really want to.
Go to Top of Page

JennyMay

Coal Valley, IL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  12:14:34 AM  Send JennyMay an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
One thing I don't understand about this company is all the last minute emails I receive about overnight or all day resets. I love this kind of work, but I need more than a few hours notice to work overnight. If I knew a week in advance, I could do just about anything!

Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  03:32:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I find this very annoying also. There are many projects I could do if I had more than an overnights notice. They also need to get their drive pay up a bit. They also need to answer the calls made to them concerning projects. I have been registered with them four over four years. I call with questions about physical labor, because I recently came off of surgery. Some projects I am not quite ready to tackle. If they would respond, I would do more. But since they don't, I won't work with them.
Go to Top of Page

MonikaJeanne
Contributor

Bethlehem, PA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  06:43:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sharon, I found that information seriously helpful!

My first merchandising jobs were with SASR. They do seem like they are contantly in a hurry to get people last minute assigned to jobs. They also generally do not return emails. I decline most jobs citing my reason as "travel pay too low," because most jobs I would consider if there were travel pay. I have seen people who leave wehn they want, wear what they want, and talk on cell phones while out on sales floor, but I guess good merchandisers are hard to come by (esp when the rate doesnt fit the standard we provide). There has been a lot of work near me recently, but the overnights and 7am starts dont work with me having 4 childdren. I did however get a decent gig through them last year for IOSUE.
Go to Top of Page

Ian S

Naperville, IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  8:47:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any current update on SASR. They have a lot of jobs in my area.

I think I am listed with them. Recall once filling in the online "paperwork" and then getting emails of job listings but for a company that pays as W2 employees (and not IC), which I am fine with, I've not been asked to supply SS# info for example. Might email one of the names I see in the emails to see what the status is or if they reply!!

Like a few have said they have a lot of last minute jobs to get done. I work "full time" for a big box retailer but the number of hours are not what I need which is common in retail these days. Much of the work SASR offers I do at the big box so thinking about picking up some extra work via SASR when my schedule is light. I can do overnight.

One thing I just notice was dress code, khaki and shirt no prob but they say no sneakers. I wear sneakers at the big box most days as being on the sales floor for 6-8 hours can be hard in dress shoes. There are black sneakers but with what they pay I'd need a few jobs to make that money back.

Is no sneakers common or just SASR?
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  9:44:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian S

Any current update on SASR. They have a lot of jobs in my area.

I think I am listed with them. Recall once filling in the online "paperwork" and then getting emails of job listings but for a company that pays as W2 employees (and not IC), which I am fine with, I've not been asked to supply SS# info for example. Might email one of the names I see in the emails to see what the status is or if they reply!!

Like a few have said they have a lot of last minute jobs to get done. I work "full time" for a big box retailer but the number of hours are not what I need which is common in retail these days. Much of the work SASR offers I do at the big box so thinking about picking up some extra work via SASR when my schedule is light. I can do overnight.

One thing I just notice was dress code, khaki and shirt no prob but they say no sneakers. I wear sneakers at the big box most days as being on the sales floor for 6-8 hours can be hard in dress shoes. There are black sneakers but with what they pay I'd need a few jobs to make that money back.

Is no sneakers common or just SASR?

Here's the way I think about it...how are they going to know if you are wearing nice, clean sneakers to begin with? I also wear tennis shoes. I wear Nike trainers (nothing with weird designs or neon or anything, fairly plain looking) with foam inserts and orthodics. I have really arthritic knees and some feet probs. So I need to be comforatble and not make my situation worse. I have a white pair and a black pair. I think most merchandisers that I have seen, wear Rockports or sneakers or something similar, especially if they are of a certain age. lol Don't sweat it. Standing and walking on cement floors for decades is a killer. I figure if sneakers are acceptable for the store employees to wear, they are acceptable for me to wear.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  04:15:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"No sneakers" is a common rule, but one which is often broke.
Go to Top of Page

MonikaJeanne
Contributor

Bethlehem, PA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  05:03:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ive worked for SASR on a number of jobs, and sneakers are worn. I think they want to alleviate the super-casual/messy look, so maybe keep the sneakers black or all white. Ive seen people not wear khakis eaither so I would not stress about it. They wont send you home, trust me.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  06:11:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I found a pair of "walkers", that are actually a sneaker, but look like a casual shoe. They are as comfortable, if not more than a Rockport. I found them at my local K Mart, as a BOGO, for 20 bucks. They were a velcro, instead of a tie shoe. This came in handy when I had one arm in a sling for two months.
Go to Top of Page

Ian S

Naperville, IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  9:41:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  07:40:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hubby finally logged back in to see what they had to offer, some local overnight work, $11.00 an hour, within an hour got 8 offers, same project.
Hubby updated his profile to reflect no nights and a better expected wage.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  3:36:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MindyZ

Hubby updated his profile to reflect no nights and a better expected wage.

To the best of my knowledge, it's no use telling people in your SaSR profile that you expect better wages. They are what they are and they can't increase them. I have, however, gotten distance pay increased once but that was because they were desperate to staff the project. So perhaps, if they are in a pinch, they might increase wages, but I would never bet on that. SaSR is the lowest paying retail services staffing company I have come across.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

SharonC

Jacksonville, FL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  11:47:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never seen where it said no sneakers unless it's for a heavy reset/remodel job where you're required to wear steel toe work boots.I wear sneakers or even topsiders all the time. I usually always wear jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt or turtleneck in the winter, polos in the spring/summer.

Don't let them make you work for free. YOUR time is worth $$$. Demand compensation for it.
Go to Top of Page

SharonC

Jacksonville, FL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2012 :  11:57:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Larry...when you go to apply for a job the travel pay you see is an ESTIMATE. It's calculated from zip code to zip code. I always go to Yahoo Maps and plot my route then take a screenshot and send it to the scheduler requesting the appropriate pay for the actual mileage. I've ALWAYS done that. There is a mileage / travel pay table:

Min Mileage-Max Mileage Rate

26-45 one way mileage = 5.00
46-60 one way mileage = 10.00
61-75 one way mileage = 15.00
76-90 one way mileage = 20.00
91 and over = 25.00

Mileage pay in the 7 yrs I've been with them has NEVER been more than $25 and they raised the mileage you have to travel to get a certain rate by 5-10 mi per tier. Hell....it costs me $25 RT to get to the closest jobs to me and I won't travel over 100 mi. I'll work between Savannah GA and St Augustine or Gainesville FL... no further. My limit is 100 mi each way. I try to stay w/in 50 mi of where I live.

Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  09:05:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hubby was just notified that we have been idle too long and we have been "kicked to the curb" oh well, we do better on the lotto.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

MonikaJeanne
Contributor

Bethlehem, PA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  10:06:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They sometimes deactivate accounts, but i think you can easily "reactivate"...but then all those emails for help come rolling back in. They do have a LOT of work lately, but many overnights and travel is often over 50 miles. My other companies pay better and are closer locations, so I have not taken recent jobs with SASR.
Go to Top of Page

SharonC

Jacksonville, FL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  7:07:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
BEWARE anyone who is doing any work for QUEST. They are altering timesheets to avoid paying any overtime. Also this crap where they're manipulating the work week so that it ends on a Friday when you start a job on a Tuesday is also to avoid having to pay you any overtime. My last 2 paychecks have been screwed up royally and I'm having to fight tooth and nail to get the money they owe me. I'll NEVER EVER do a job for Quest again. THIEVES.

I suggest that whenever you submit your timesheet on your dashboard... get a screenshot of your payroll page so you can catch them if they shave off hours. Thank god I had screenshots of my original payroll dashboard and the one that's on there now that they altered so I could show PROOF that it was altered and didn't match my written timesheets.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums