Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ChristieG
Star Contributor

Germantown, MD
USA
411 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  6:15:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a brother who may possibly be interested in finding a merchandising or demo job in XXXXX; but I have no idea which companies to have him search in. I have been so blessed with my job and thought he could do the same kind of work; as he has been out of work for a long time. Thanks ahead of time for any replies!

ADMIN NOTE:
As new members post this question all the time, we are leaving this ONE thread for all to post ONLY general answers as to how to find shops in anyone's area.

TrishInFL
Contributor

Lighthouse Point, FL
USA
88 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  6:27:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Christie -

The only ones I can think of are NARMS (narms.com) and Pat Henry (pathenry.com). I don't do a lot of merchandising, so there could be others out there, I just haven't found them yet. Good luck to you and your brother.

Trish -
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Southeast Florida
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  10:59:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sign up with ALL the companies on the Volition.com list. The ones with work will contact you.

Read these threads for ideas:

Suggestions for starting out in merchandising work

How do you find a job in small town USA?

Merchandising - What if don't have any experience

And all the others too.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  12:06:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You could try and register with NARMS at www.narms.com and fill out a profile, then someone will contact you via email with work in your area. HTH
Go to Top of Page

AngelaRu

Urbandale, Iowa
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2006 :  2:30:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My company hires people for demonstrations and merchandising.

We search for people on Narms and Shadow Shopper.

Angela w/ Nichols and Associates.

Angela Ruch
Nichols and Associates
Go to Top of Page

TanjaT

Warren, OH
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  05:00:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been having trouble finding merchandising work in my area (I regularly check Narms and Volition). I work for 2 companies already but the work is not steady enough so I'm looking for more work with other companies! I guess the jobs are hard to come by in my area.
Tanja

Tanja
Desperately seeking merchandising work in the Warren/Niles, OH area or the Youngstown, OH area. Audits too- I love 'em.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine87
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  3:35:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I almost have the same problem finding jobs except I live in the boonies and there doesn't seem to be much here. Unless I want to drive 30 plus miles a day one way.
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  8:21:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I Live in the boonies too! There isn't much for us...But I found this link by states.....good luck... there hasn't been any thing for me.

http://www.massreps.com/index.php

JOB FORUM: http://retailserviceindustry.com/forum/default.asp

~~ Please consider the environment before printing unnecessary pages.~~
~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

TaraD

NY
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:02:30 AM  Visit TaraD's Homepage  Send TaraD an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
www.narms.com

www.volition.com

The top two are where you're going to find most of your work. What I like about NARMS is that you can search by geographic area, individually by state, or select any states you like. You can also do a keyword search. Do not just check off your home state, remember most merch companies are Nationwide. And that is exactly the wording you want to keep in mind when searching. Volition is good because you can get feedback on a particular company and know whether or not to sign up. But, despite what others say, always do your research on the company as you would any other company. If a company hires ICs only, I want to know if they're financially sound, you should too.

Start early in the morning because that is when schedulers/recruiters/DMs post their jobs. Most DMs for merch companies get one day a week in their office, the rest is spent traveling. You should have a cellphone so they can contact you and they will most likely call you back on their cellphone. Have a pen and paper handy in the car as you're traveling around so you can write down any information you receive. I do most phone interviews for jobs in my car.

www.hiringedge.com

I work for Hallmark and this is Hallmark's job site. Please note that it may take up to three weeks for someone to get back to you BUT if you get experience working with them, other companies want you, even if they don't do cards. Hallmark's reputation is top-notch and they don't hire slackers. I've worked for them twice. I love them, love them, love them!

Don't want to work for Hallmark? Try American Greetings. NOTE: If you work for Hallmark, you cannot work for AG. The latter's policy is that it's a conflict of interest.

http://retailserviceindustry.com/forum/default.asp

Has merch and mystery shopping opportunities.

http://www.retailworker.com/forum These are individual forums for retail workers in the retail chains to post their gripes about their company. I use this to keep abreast of what is going on in those chains where I'm working and possible news on layoffs, etc. It has been my experience that when these companies do layoffs they turn to cheaper outsourced work. Right now there are at least seven major merch companies that have contracts to do work in Home Depot and Lowes stores. Also, if an employee complains that there are a lot of vendors I'll do an extensive search for that company and try to find out what merchandising organizations service them. Forewarned is forearmed.

http://www.wahm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=44

Mystery shopping and other work at home mom opportunities. These are legit enterprises and it's a large forum with many subforums. Take your time reading and you'll find something. Just do yourself a favor, do a search of the forum beforehand to get information before you post. For some reason I see a lot of hostility toward new posters when asking questions and I will not participate there because of that. The regulars prefer for new posters to search before asking the same questions over and over.

http://www.allretailjobs.com/

This has both merchandising positions and regular in-store retail jobs. The same few companies post there all the time though which is a drawback. I don't see a lot of different companies.

www.craigslist.org

Do a search in your area for part-time under jobs and keyword "merchandiser" and you can usually find something.

Also www.crazedlist.org lets you do a search in ALL locations for Craigslist. You can search for work at home, merchandiser etc. Remember most of these companies have large coverage areas but don't know about most of these sites so they only post in their locations.

http://www.massreps.com/

http://www.visualstore.com/stmg/forum/index.php?sid=b9b4aa423057bd82ed969ed5871b4c99

Use your vendor sign in books! This is the BEST job lead resource! When you go to service your stores, look in these books for the business cards of the Territory Leader/DM/RM in that area for the company. If you see the last service date for the greeting cards was five months prior, guess what! They don't have an active rep in that store. If you see one name signing for a long time and then a different one, check it against the business card and if it says that the name is the manager, that means he/she is covering that store until they get someone.

Don't have an account yet?

TALK to the employees at the stores you are most comfortable with or whom seem nice on your visit to the store for shopping, etc. I was servicing greeting cards in a Target, got close to the manager and found out that three of his other departments weren't being serviced. He gave me the name and number of the managers for those companies and I got a job out of it! If you are unknown to them, meaning you aren't merchandising yet, pick a time that isn't crazy and approach a store employee to ask questions. If you're nice, chances are you will get some information. Plus most of these store employees are bored and love to kill time helping "customers".

You know your Avon lady? Talk to her too. Most women that do these work at home things know a lot about other opportunities. I got started in merchandising off asking an Avon lady about what to do part-time, flexible and she gave me a merch company name she did work for.

Trade organizations for merchandising companies are also a great resource. Do searches for retail trade organizations.

Also press releases! http://www.pressreleasenetwork.com Look for the types of online or in print magazines that write about these retailers and read press releases! I found out that Archway Merchandising (formerly Service Advantage) is now owned by Storecast from reading a press release. You can also find out what companies service what stores by these releases. They love to brag about it!

GOOGLE, google, google! Yes, that's right. The #1 search engine in the world isn't that for no reason. Use standard keywords and a treasure trove appears. Many companies use one jobsite because they pay for accounts there. So if ABC Merchandising has an account on Monster.com when they hire a new DM, that new DM is told to use the account to post jobs. This is what I was told when I was hired as a DM for Service Advantage way back in the day. I didn't know about any other places. I did what I was told. Yesterday I spoke with a recruiter who had never heard of Volition.com or even NARMS.

Try the main job sites: Monster/Careerbuilder/Hot Jobs/Dice although Dice is heavy technical jobs you do see merch opportunities pop up now and again.

Go in your supermarket and pick up the JOBS free papers that are in the rack along with the home buying mags. Companies post ads in these little papers all the time.

Go to the company's website directly. Use NARMS and Volition's lists or merch companies and take the time to visit the websites individually. Many jobs that are out there are not posted anywhere else.

When you're visiting a website for a company they will have a dropdown list of "How Were You Referred To Us?" Write down the names of the sites or things mentioned in those dropdown lists. Many mention other sites you may not know about but the important thing to remember is, if the company is mentioning it, that is where they are posting their jobs regularly.

Have patience. These companies drag their feet because they're busy. This is the BEST time to start because of the Holiday season approaching and college kids are going back to school! :) Good for them and good for us too!

MSPA Silver Certified: eocbu4
Go to Top of Page

VictoriaF
Contributor

NorthEast, PA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  2:52:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tara >>>> MANY, MANY THANKS for this outstanding information! I'm sure you'll find that MANY of us; myself included of course; sincerely appreciate you taking the time to freely posting these fabulous resources!

I; for one; have been searching for more merchandising resources out there and got "fed up" at times because the search is so time consuming. You've saved me a tremendous amount of time with the info you give in your post. I've been wanting to do more merchandising and less mystery shopping, and your post will definately help me achieve that goal sooner than I thought I would be able to!

Thanks again!
Victoria
Go to Top of Page

RepSusan
Valued Contributor

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:43:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you for the ideas of where to look. Anyone found any more sites or have any new ideas of how we can find work? I feel like a stalker when I'm in my stores and looking for other reps to do old-fashioned networking with. The internet has made it a bit easier for networking but maybe too easy. Everyone knows how to find merchandising work now. That's why it's become so hard to find????

Susan
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  03:33:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've ssen jobs posted in my area in these site.....Try them..any luck let me know...

local.indeed.com

This site you'll need to register
jobslinger.com/js/exec/sfs/jobboard

~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2845 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  06:57:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just keep applying. I applied for one in late March (23rd) and only got emailed back yesterday(april 22).

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Julie Mapes

Midland, MI
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  07:49:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Another resource is to go to the state job banks or employment centers.

That's how I found work in merchandising.

Julie Mapes
Merchandising
Michigan Regions
Go to Top of Page

JulieSouthernIN
Valued Contributor

Clark, Indiana
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  5:22:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to find area specific jobs that don't require internet connection?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  11:54:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JulieSouthernIN

Is there a way to find area specific jobs that don't require internet connection?
SEE:

Are there any companies who will give a shopper a chance who does not have access to the internet?
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  03:29:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some say to put out NO Money for leads to companies,

I purchased Mystery Shopping Made Simple, it has valuable information, all in one book...included is a list of over 100 companies that do not require computer access. I've had this book for a few years and many more companies have gone to computers to save on mailing and long distance calls: the list is not updated.

~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  5:29:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with the previous poster. Apply to all. Here is why. There is no easy answer for you. If you notice, some may hate a company and others love it. There is no way to know what is best for your husband. He will have to do what most of us have had to do. Work for whoever he can to start with and as he gets more experience and more work he can quit the companies that don't really work for him. Also, why apply to a *great* company if they are not hiring? Put your time where it might benefit for now, companies that are hiring in your area.

I would HIGHLY recommend a profile on NARMS and selet the option to get email updates. The reason for that is so he will get emails when there is a job posted to his profile, as in, when there is a job opening that may be in your area or close to you. Most recruiters utilize the function to only posts jobs for areas they relate to. I regularly get emails from NARMS listing new jobs that are in my area. This way he can apply to the ones that are actually looking to hire. Keep a record of what companies you apply for as well so as not to waste time reapplying to a company that keeps apps on file.

Good luck!!!

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

MelindaEDavis
Trainee

Winterville, NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  1:43:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Elizabeth is spot on. I'm new to Greenville, NC and it has been a slow process getting my merchandising re-established here. NARMS has been invaluable. Be sure to check out the members page. It outlines all the companies by category, i.e. merchandisers, demonstrators/events, mystery shopping. Then just sign up. Sign up with all of'em. They all will not call at once, but man, it's great on days when your feeling down because of a lack of projects and some new company calls that you signed up with months ago.

Hang in there everybody.

Melinda
Go to Top of Page

KaritoWA
Star Contributor

WA
USA
335 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  9:15:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Be sure and keep track of when you apply. Some companies only keep your info for six months. Even if they do keep it longer be sure to update your info or application.
For example a company may be more willing to hire you after you have six months or 1 year experience as opposed to no experience.
If you get hired on, look for opportunities within your company, maybe they have different divisions that do different things.
If you are in an area (like me) that has few jobs, you need to constantly be checking emails, NARMS, messege boards etc because the jobs go fast.

Karito
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  7:05:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The best and easiest way is:

Go to Walmart and ask for the vendor log. Inside is every single company that provides services there. Most of them have websites or business cards for recruiting.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums