Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JimmED
Valued Contributor

PA
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  06:52:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's worked for this company...my wife is considering a regular merchandising route with them...a couple of stops are over 100 miles from home but they pay a mileage allowance...TIA...

MichelePA

Schuylkill County, PA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  12:58:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well this is just my experience with them. I worked for them for a few months last year. They didn't have a set pay schedule at the time I worked for them. Maybe things have changed, but I would have to request a check from them. At least one time, I had to request it more than once before they paid me.

Also, the stores weren't thrilled with the company either. They would send way too much product, even though I only ordered a minimal amount (at the managers' requests). Those products just don't sell very well in this area and the managers didn't want too much of it.

I don't know, they just didn't seem to have their act together very well at the time. Hopefully things have changed, but it wasn't worth it for me to keep working for them.
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  8:39:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think things have changed.
I signed up for 2 stores. I got all the paperwork for the stores, but no IC paperwork which of course is essential so they know who to pay.
So I emailed the lady to find out what to do, went ahead and did the stores when I was supposed to. BIG MISTAKE. I just got an email saying that they had made a mistake and that the job needs to be done this month, not last month. Since I STILL don't have any paperwork, I'm rather certain that I won't be paid for that first visit. They don't quite seem to have all their ducks in a row.

Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  5:30:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My experience with Pro's Choice has been nothing but positive. They cut checks EVERY WEEK so the most I have waited is about 10 days for payment. Every check has been 100% accurate. The job is a combination of communicating with store personnel about product set expectations, discussing good sellers and slow movers and placing an order. Some stores are 'picky' and some just wave at you and you write your order. Bottom line is that I have had no problem with Pro's Choice. ...only with some store personnel
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  2:06:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just an update. When I got the email that the stores needed to be done at the end of June, I again told the man that I had already done them once without any compensation, and I still didn't have any IC Paperwork (W-9). I wouldn't do the stores again without them. I was assured that I would receive the paperwork by the middle of June. Well, I STILL haven't received anything, and the job was due last week.
Live and learn, I guess.

Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

CherylSiF
Trainee

Greensboro, NC
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  07:49:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for this company for about one year and I had few problems. I only had to request payment one time and I think that was an oversight. It was steady work and very easy. It does take some time to become aware of how much product your store moves and so forth. I had no problems with any of my managers. You just have to be careful and order for your stores according to sales. Its really a snap. I quit to take a full time merchandising position.
Go to Top of Page

L_Joyce
Apprentice

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  7:36:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been working for PC for a few months. They have been great to work for. When every anything is need they always send it overnight. I've never had trouble getting paid. They sent my paper work overnight the day after I agreed to work for them. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

LJT

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  3:40:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Donna, I don't believe they have a website.
Do you have questions? I can try and answer them.
Go to Top of Page

.Allie B
Inactive

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:35:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hate to say this but it all depends on your RM. I had a GREAT RM and everything was wonderful. A new RM took over it was awful for everyone... It all depends on management!!! Good management Good Job. It all depends on who you answer to. I worked for the company for several years and it was GREAT!!! A new RM

If your RM likes you great if not they will let you go. Business should not be run on personalities but productivity.

Ive worked for several other companies that have had management change and the transitions have always gone smoothly as they should.

You will enjoy the job if you have a good RM. Everyone at the corporate office is great to work with. It's the RM in the field you have to be careful with.
Go to Top of Page

Denys Soto
Valued Contributor

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  2:47:48 PM  Visit Denys Soto's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is there any positive feedback on this company? I have received all the paperwork, NO I9, no ICA, and they say they will send it. There is not much reliable info here, and I would be traveling 30 miles to each location. I would not start w/o the contract, but am wondering if it's even safe with one!! Anyone have recent jobs with them??
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  3:52:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I work for them but on the Ethnic Haircare line... They also go by Ultra Standard for this line... I like the work... It is easy and quick... They pay by the hour... You will get your paperwork but it does come seperate along with a training manual... All in all this is a great company!

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

Christine W.
Trainee

Southfield, MI
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  05:30:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been working with the company since October 2005. Things have been great! Pay is always on time, the work is easy, and my RM is awesome. I have 17 stores and most are within 20 miles from home. I group 3-4 stores together when I go out so that the combined auto allowance more than covers my gas & then some. I hope that your wife is getting actual mileage vs an auto allowance for the stores that are over 100 mile out.
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  8:49:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for them for 2 years quitting last Nov. 2006, due to where I live they are opening a lot of stores that I merchandise for with other companies and didn't have time to do once a month jobs at 9 stores for pros choice. I never had any problems with pay or getting paperwork, I just hated the "palmpilot" that you have to use to order with,sign in &sign out of store on it. The screen is so small and the light in some stores aren't that great, so it was hard to read.The owner does go to stores around the country checking on the sets, and she is a "nit-picker" about the least little thing, and you will from her or your manager, if she calls she is not at all nice. just my about jay.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

VickyLynn
Valued Contributor

Oneida, New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  7:38:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love this compainy. I have not had any problem with them at all.I have worked over 2 years and have gotten paid on time very time. I Love this compainy.... A+++++ in my book
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  8:28:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I loved working for the company and my manager was great.AS I said new stores opening where I live that i do for other companies is the only reason that I quit, otherwise i would still be with them. The job is not hard at all.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

BenS.
Apprentice

Fort Wayne, IN
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  9:06:25 PM  Visit BenS.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have dealt with Pro's Choice/ Ultra Standard Distributors for about 2 years. I have two routes that I cover for them through my own merchandising company. My experience is that they pay very quickly and they are quite fair when it comes to special situations that arise during service calls. I am in direct contact with a regional manager.

Ben Smith

Ben Smith
Berends Trading Co.
Go to Top of Page

Robert The Smilee 1

East Fultonham, OH
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  10:27:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I worked for Quality King way back fore the turn of the century ( 98 to 2000 )...first for a company called Petchal and Assc. out of Michigan till they lost the contract then for them directly, I coverd 5 states for them with my MSO and 4 chains I believe. At this time they changed their name to Pros Choice.

While working for them with Petchel, I was in the Rite Aid chain and they had much trouble with them and complaints about them. It boiled down to the amount of product coming in and what they would not send in. Also returns were of an issue.But pay was from Petchel and was good.

When I went to work for them directly ,it was because of the reference from Penn Traffic Retail Stores and the work I did for Penn. Because of this the brought on my small MSO for a period of time in 2000 to 2001. While in this position pay was good but always in 3 months arrears off of what was sold to the stores. But it is what I agreed to and if I needed they would advance $$ if needed. The problem I had was some coverage issues in some boony towns and then with the person who was in charge of the sale force at that time...we did not mesh well and when I found him to be a lire I broke my ties with them. But this does not reflect on the company...just us 2 as individuals.

My last encounter with them was with Quality Care...this company was ran by a friend of the sales manager I had problems with , I ran the state of Ohio for them for several months till I caught them lying about some issues. See they never knew of my past relationships with ProChoice , so when things came up I was able to know what was not on the level, things that a regular rep would not be privy to and so would not know the difference. Sometimes knowledge is power. They did not pay well nor did they take care of me as a rep. We did part company on a OK basis though.

But after reviewing the thread for over the years it would seem that things may be getting better for this company. And they may well be OK now. Good for them. I guess I would wonder is if you are working directly for them or through another MSO for them. That would make the difference in how to answer or decide.

Guess my response to this post comes down on both sides as I can give similar stories both pro and con.

The one thing I could never get a good answer for was how they could sell products that were only suppose to be sold in salons....ha-ha guess its all about the money....go figure...

My best to you!!
Rob

Robert Pollock
Cornerstone Merchandising Company of S.E.O.
Team Lead
Scheduler/Trainer
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  8:22:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Robert the smiliee 1"how they could sell products that were only suppose to be sold in salons."
I was watching on tv back in Jan. a sporting event that was sponsered bt Paul Mitchell and they had an ad that stated "Paul Mitchell was only avaiable from salons and if it came from somewhere else, then it was not the genuine product.That it was a copy." When I heard that I was thinking of Pros choice and wondered the same thing Oh,well none of my concern,

Sue
Go to Top of Page

KarlaRunyan

Hot Springs, AR
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  1:59:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does Pro's Choice have a website?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  7:03:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't have a website for them,but here is their phone number
1-800-676-5554
They are in Ronkonkoma,New York.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Julie Rogers
Apprentice

Campbell, CA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  1:24:27 PM  Visit Julie Rogers's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say they are the WORST company I ever worked for.
First the pay was LOUSY, second they were totally unorganized. I never had the proper tools or instructions. I had some payment issues, that were resolved. I finally quit in disgust. Now my taxes are being held up because they did not put their state id on my W2. The Worst.
Nice enough people but a total disarray.
Julie

Julie A Rogers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums