Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Which merchandising jobs are least physically demanding?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brenda Willis
Trainee

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  5:31:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been mystery shopping for three months and would like to try merchandising. I don't believe I could do one that requires heavy lifting, using tools, or a lot of climbing. Any suggestions on what kind of job I might be able to do or what I should avoid?

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  7:17:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I think that there are a lot that are not physically demanding at all. I have done merchandising on sunglasses, watches and key rings that were extremely easy.
Children's books were okay, but sometimes the boxes were a little heavy.
The only merchandising that I did that I did not care for, was costume jewelry. Not that it was physical, just tedious. The diagrams were poorly done and it made it hard to inventory and re-stock.

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Aadam101
Valued Contributor

Lynn, MA
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  7:45:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do lots of merchandising and about 90% requires very little physically. Of course I'm on my feet most of the day. I service greeting cards. I may have to lift one box but it's no big deal. If you are incapable of lifting things you can usually ask a store associate to help as long as it's not a lot of stuff. I used to wrok for a drug chain and the magazine rep couldn't lift the heavy totes so she would usually ask someone in the store for help.

I also do several weekly services for things such as candy departments and picture frames. Neither requires much lifting.

Usually in any job description it will say if heavy lifting is required. Just read the description and don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll be fine.
Go to Top of Page

CathyPlumb
Contributor

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  08:37:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Brenda, I think you would probably enjoy the "audit" type merchandising job. The only thing demanding about this type of work is carrying a clipbaord. LOL

I will recommend my very favorite audit company, National Retail Services, as a place to start. They are an EXCELLENT company to work for. Their contact info is
http://www.nrs30.com/

They do have cosmetic resets twice a year but they will provide you with help (if needed).

Good luck!
Cathy Plumb

Cathy Plumb
Go to Top of Page

Christina Hoppel

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  1:18:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Field Marketing Inc. is also another company that specializes in auditing. They perform bi-weekly audits in a major electronics retailer regularly. Usually 6-8 hours biweekly and I believe the pay is approximately $9.00/hr. If you go to their website you can see if there are any opportunities in your area.

www.Fieldmktg.com

Christina
Go to Top of Page

JJinNWIN
Contributor

Wheatfield, IN
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  08:16:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Merchandising sunglasses and costume jewelry are fun jobs that are not physically demanding. You are on your feet all day and walking, but not heavy lifting. I also enjoy doing trading cards. You want to avoid the reset type jobs, or magazines or books. Those are physically demanding. Also jobs in home improvement type stores are usually physically challenging, requiring you to climb ladders and bring down back stock.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Allyson Goldjay
Star Contributor

Elkton, MD
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  8:58:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I service a candy display in the grocery store and I service credit card apps at a retail chain. Neither requires heavy lifting and both are fun. Many of the merchandising jobs I've been offered have been easy and not too strenuous. I like working for Premium Retail Services so you might want to check them out.
Allyson

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED--Washington DC 2003
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums