Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Support Area
 Computer Hardware/Software Tips - Q & A
 Anyone else using Google's email program (Gmail) with 1000mb of storage space?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard D W
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  1:00:03 PM  Visit Richard D W's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just curious if anyone else is using the new Google email and what they thought of it. I don't think I'll ever have to delete an email again. After a month and about 1000 emails of all sorts, I'm still only at .5% of 1000mb.

Anyone else involved in the beta test? I know they invite ppl and participants can invite others, so who knows who all is invited. It is nice to get in on the ground floor and get a simple email address that doesn't throw in extra #s and letters!!

Shuree
Star Contributor

Chesterfield, MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  1:19:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How did you get to beta test it? Were you invited? I am anxious to get it.

I can't believe this bill passed... I think if people don't like the Gmail practices, they just shouldn't sign up for it. The legislation should not be involved.

<<<The California state Senate on Thursday approved a bill that takes aim at Google's new Gmail service, placing strict limits on e-mail providers seeking to scan customer messages for advertising and other purposes. >>>

http://news.com .com/California+Senate+approves+anti-Gmail+bill/2100-1028_3-5222062.html?tag=txt

Go to Top of Page

Richard D W
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  2:03:56 PM  Visit Richard D W's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
i was invited from some ppl who work in Google's PR department. the ads on the gmail service are less noticeable than the blinking banner on the top of this page. they're all in very plain smaller font on the right hand side of the screen, which honestly i've not even noticed while reading the emails because of the site's design. the picture's in yahoo's email are far more intrusive--at least so far. who knows how gmail will change once it goes public?

it's really nice having all the extra storage space. once really nice piece is that you can archive all of your email "conversations" with one person so you can always go back to an email from X@y.com without having to filter through the emails from everyone else.

if you get a chance, definitely take it.
Go to Top of Page

Jules in Boston
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  8:11:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just heard of www.walla.com
You get 1 Gig too.

GOLD CERTIFIED
Shopping Boston, MA and metro area.
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  11:35:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been very eager to use Gmail. Do you know how we can get a chance to become involved?

"Let's shop til we plop!" "You mean shop til we drop?" "Whatever!"
Go to Top of Page

Shuree
Star Contributor

Chesterfield, MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  12:37:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You have to have an invite from a current Gmail user. I have had Gmail for about a week now and I haven't received the opportunity to invite someone yet. I understand that I have to use it more to get that invite to pass out. I don't want to change all my shopping mail to go there because it seems to be a pain to change your email when it's hooked to your MSPA number. So far, only my friends use it to email me. It's kinda cool because it occasionally has little ads along the right side (totally not intrusive, I had to look for them) and my sister emails me about scrapbooking stuff so there are ads for scrapbookng stores.
Go to Top of Page

LauraMarie
Star Contributor

CA
USA
412 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  10:55:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have unused invites. If any of you wants one, just email me and I'll send you one.

I've been using Gmail for a while now just as a side email where I receive newletters, etc. A couple of times I think I've missed emails directed to my accounts though. There are a few sites that I've signed up for and never received my confirmation emails. I emailed myself some pictures once and never received those either. I still stick with Yahoo! for my main email.
Go to Top of Page

ScottNY
Star Contributor

NY
USA
686 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  1:06:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Everyone has invites left now. Instead of the few small number of invites, Gmail has thrown everyone dozens of invites.

Just a note: Gmail's storage continues to increase. As of this posting, the storage is at 2367.884034 megabytes. Walla is still only at 1GB.

MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  06:17:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how to delete a message on Gmail?
I know, I know, I don't NEED to, but I WANT to.
I get all my merchandising info sent there, and I don't need an endless amount of NARMS notices piling up. I like to keep only the things I want to, file some away, then delete the rest, so that only new mail is on the main screen.

Thanks in advance!
Sharon

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  07:01:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Check the box next to the message(s) you want to delete, then use the pull-down menu that says "other actions" and select "move to trash".

You can also save your messages into seperate folders by giving them specific labels and then archiving them. For example, create a new label called "NARMS Notices" and then select those relevant messages and choose "apply label - NARMS Notices" from the same pull-down menu. You'll see the label next to the message. Then you can select those messages you want to keep and hit "archive". They will automatically go to your "NARMS Notices" folder, which you can access from the green box on the left of your screen. Hope that helps.

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  9:16:30 PM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Another nice thing about using gmail for shopping and merchandising, is that messages are saved in "trash" for 30 days.

I "trash" all my shop emails as soon as I get them, even if I have replied. I only maintain files for "accepted" shops and any emails that pertain to them.

You can also get rid of nonbusiness emails, aka spam, by putting them in the spam file and they can be deleted "forever".

With two gigs of space for storage you can save everything if you really wish.

Lately I have been using the gmail search feature to track down old emails and it works like a charm.

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page

ScottNY
Star Contributor

NY
USA
686 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  7:06:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What's even better about Gmail is that you don't have to worry about sending the e-mails to trash because of the large storage space. Just archive them, and you won't have to look at them unless you click to view All Messages.

Granted, those NARMS notices are worthless after you visit the NARMS site, but they don't do any harm in Archives.

Besides, maybe in 8 months I'll want to do a complete search for a certain town name and see every little e-mail that came up for that area. (Or some other random search.)

Still, with Gmail's wonderful search feature, you can search NARMS, and all the NARMS e-mails will pop up. Just select them and move them to the trash. You can do that as often as you like, but even yearly might be more often than you would really need.

Gmail's search gives you quick results because it's Google. Ever try using Hotmail's "Find" feature? Takes forever when you search the full messages of all your messages.

MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

AnitaL
Star Contributor

Venus, Texas
USA
554 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  6:47:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just in case anyone else happens to stumble in on this topic. I also have gmail, and love it.

Shopping in Arlington, Alvarado, Burleson, Cleburne, Mansfield and Midlothian!!
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums