Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  09:44:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Twice this week, I've done a search on a topic. The topic was there, but it did not answer my question. Today, I posted a question about "XYZ". I did a search, and lots came up about "XYZ", but nothing that answered my question. I see that my post was deleted, and a thread about XYZ was bumped up. I read the whole thread, and my question is still not answered.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I understand that we can't have duplicate threads all over, but since my question wasn't addressed in the three XYZ threads, can't I post about them, asking a different question?

Tracie
Silver Certified

Charity2174

Casa Grande, AZ
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  09:58:57 AM  Send Charity2174 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have had that done to me a few times...just try adding your question on to the end of the OLD post. It may be that the moderator just wants to keep everything in easilly accessible posts that can be searched. Good luck!

SILVER CERTIFICATE 1eqpz8: Shopping through AZ; observing empoyees and hunting for bargains along the way!
Go to Top of Page

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  10:05:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Also, I've been chastised for posting without searching, when I actually did post and didn't find the topic, despite using the correct search terms. I discovered that when I bring up the page to search, the box that you type the words into has a space in it already. So I'm technically searching for "_shop" instead of "shop". I'm not positive if that that affected the outcome or not, but now I delete the space, and I get better search results.

"Let's shop til we plop!" "You mean shop til we drop?" "Whatever!"
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  10:18:20 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tracie,

Your title is about search, but what I see as the question is: Why can't I start a new thread if the question was not answered in the old thread?

The reason is that we try to keep all feedback about a company in one place.

Your question belongs in the old thread so that others can read what was said before and can add to it. Your new question continues the ongoing discussion instead of starting over.

If we did not have this rule, there would be many threads about each company, all with the same info or bits and pieces.

ciao,
Ray
Go to Top of Page

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  10:33:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ah! I see! That makes sense. I'll add my question to the old thread then. Thanks!

Tracie
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  10:38:55 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarieSpree

I discovered that when I bring up the page to search, the box that you type the words into has a space in it already. So I'm technically searching for "_shop" instead of "shop". I'm not positive if that that affected the outcome or not, but now I delete the space, and I get better search results.
Getting rid of that space was on my "something to look at someday" list. I did not know it was hurting peoples search results. I looked into and fixed the problem. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I can only fix that which I know is broke.
Go to Top of Page

DEaton
Star Contributor

Troup, Texas
USA
335 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  5:07:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The search feature takes a little practice before it will give you good results. Usually, when I do a search now, I try current threads first, then in archives. I've nearly always found what I'm looking for in the current topics, maybe not exactly the answers I have in mind, but I don't mind adding a question or a comment to an existing thread.

Diane
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums