Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Lori CA
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  5:29:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A bounced check is a red flag. I'll stay away, especially since the last offer I had from them was for shops that paid $2.70.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

GVargas
Valued Contributor

WA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  5:53:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Two bounced checks in the last batch? Yikes -- I did one $7 shop for them (so I should get payment next month). Now I'm wondering if I should bother cashing the check at all. You'll have to let us know how these bounced checks pan out...
Go to Top of Page

BrianM

San Francisco, CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  7:40:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just had a $9 check bounce that I received a week ago. I contacted the company, explained the situation and was connected to someone in the accounting area. He asked me if I was charged (I haven't been yet) and said they would pay the fee. He promised to contact me tomorrow with an update. I've never before experienced a problem with shop payments from them, but do not do many because of low fees.
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  3:46:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received a check probably from the same batch so I am holding off on the deposit for now.
Somebody tell me this is not a 3G situation and can be explained away. Is there a note on their website or has anyone received an e-mail regarding these bounced checks?

Roswitha
MSPA Gold Shopping sunny Florida Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo .....
Go to Top of Page

Debra Chambers

Oklahoma City
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  5:18:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MSS is my main source for shops since I started. I sometimes wonder if there are any other mystery shoppers in my area signed up with them. I received my first check from them November 3rd pr 4th just like they promised. I have found that it is easier to call the scheduler and for an assignment than to email them back. Tje schedulers I work with are always considerate and answer any questions I have.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  08:00:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Three bounced checks in the same batch so far - not a good sign.
Any updates on this issue? Brian, what happened with your bounced check?

I am really hesitant to deposit my own check since the bounced check fee will be more than the shop fee itself. It's one of the very few times I told myself it's on the way and ignored the low shop fee because after all it had a bonus attached. The bonus turned out to be one dollar. I should have said no thank you.

Debra or anyone else - how about your December payment - did you receive your check and did it clear?

Roswitha
Go to Top of Page

Angela P.

CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  08:56:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was told to redeposit the check and they would pay the fees. I like working for them, as I only do this part time to make vacation money, and the shops may be somewhat low pay, but the ones in my area are really simple and fast. In a year, this is the first bounced check. At least they communicate, unlike HilliDunlap, whom I am still awaiting payment from!
Go to Top of Page

KristinaQ

Bronx, New York
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  10:36:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So anyone who has deposited a check that has bounced, did NSS end up paying for any of the bank charges? I'm expecting payment from them and I really hope those checks don't bounce

kristina
~MSPA silver certified in NYC~
Go to Top of Page

BrianM

San Francisco, CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  12:12:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
UPDATE - I was eventually charged $25 by my bank. Sean at NSS (accounting?) advised me to redeposit (which happened on Thursday). Sean said that on Friday he was cutting a check for the the $25 bank charge. It sounded like their bank made an error. I'll update if I don't receive the $25 check or if the redeposited check bounces again!
Go to Top of Page

AnnaZ
Valued Contributor

Burlington, MA
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  8:23:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My check also bounced on 12/13.
Go to Top of Page

TishM

Alexandria, VA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:49:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So has anyone been given a reason for these bounced checks? I find this a bit alarming. I have a check from NSS that I have been holding for almost 2 weeks now, hoping there would be no more reports of bounced checks.

Please, if anyone gets a response that actually explains this snafu, share with us!

Shopping Northern Virginia, DC and MD
Go to Top of Page

KatCinTX
Apprentice

TX
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  09:29:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really like the people at NSS, but I also had a bounced check from this last batch. I contacted the company and they said that they would be willing to reissue my check plus bank fee (as they have told others). Has anyone gotten a check back and had it go through the bank? I'm hesitant to even get another check from them if it is just going to bounce and I'm going to get another fee. Two bank fees would equal the amount of the check, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Go to Top of Page

AmyPA

Cuddy, PA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  5:57:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For those that had the check bounce. Did you deposit the check into your checking or savings account or did you just cash it?? I am asking this cause I cashed mine for cash and have not heard if there was a problem. I did this about a week and a half ago.

Amy
Go to Top of Page

Debra Chambers

Oklahoma City
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  4:44:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The first check I received was my December check and it did clear. I have a check coming for 4 shops coming the around the first of January. I just talked to one of my scheduler's earlier about a missing report. It seems the report I sent her Sunday never got there. I had to send her a copy today to a different email address. At least I know she got the copy of the report.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

BrianM

San Francisco, CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  4:51:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
UPDATE - In the "payroll" section of their website, I am due to be mailed a $25 check (for the bounced check fee) and it is scheduled to be mailed out at the end of the month.
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  8:07:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Brian.

Posted by Angela P.
quote:
I was told to redeposit the check and they would pay the fees. I like working for them, as I only do this part time to make vacation money, and the shops may be somewhat low pay, but the ones in my area are really simple and fast. In a year, this is the first bounced check. At least they communicate, unlike HilliDunlap, whom I am still awaiting payment from!
You gotta be kiddin' - in a year this is the first bounced check?
A bounced check is a (burning) red flag - period!
At least they are communicating? - When? - after the fact and after you were charged a fee by the bank?! And didn't I read several communications from Doug on the forum as well as e-mail and phone communications to several shoppers? BTW, that issue seems to have made a very slow but successful turn-about. I read the comments about the time I got started in MSing and took heed so I am not waiting for payment from Hilli Dunlap.

NSS may or may not be in a similar situation. For right now it looks like nothing more than a bookkeeping issue but I would prefer an explanation and an e-mail saying it is ok to cash your check now. That is what I expect from a professional company.

Where is the communication e-mail to all shoppers that received a bounced check in that batch of checks?
In a situation like this I expect a communication letting me know there is a problem. It's great that the fees are paid (in my case the fee would be triple the amount of the check - yikes!); but how many like myself have read this thread and not cashed their checks? If there is one thing I have learned about this forum it is that there are tons of lurkers for every poster.
I think I may have done 3 shops total for this company mainly because of the low fees, so I don't really know anything about them. They may be a great company for all I know. But I can say this - one out of three ain't bad - sounds much better in a song and doesn't cut it in business. I prefer companies that do not have any payment issues. Let's hope it is just a one time glitch - hopefully a mistake by the system and not due to real cash flow problems.

Roswitha
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  9:52:46 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been paid and no checks have bounced.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

GVargas
Valued Contributor

WA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  11:35:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got my whopping $7 check in the mail today, and I'm wondering ... should I try to deposit it? Has anyone had the fees explained or reimbursed (without bouncing a second time)?
Go to Top of Page

TishM

Alexandria, VA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  09:22:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The check I had held for several weeks was deposited around December 20th, and I have not received notice it bounced. I'm hoping all is well again!

Shopping Northern Virginia, DC and MD
Go to Top of Page

Lori CA
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  10:38:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Are their checks still bouncing, or has the situation stabilized? I have an offer that I'm interested in, but I'd rather not get involved if their payments aren't reliable. Thanks.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums