Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  9:01:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't say I got $20/hour. ASM probably paid the staffing company $20+/hour. I got $12 with an 8 hour min payout and mileage after 20 miles round trip.

The company I worked for was one of probably 5 companies looking to staff the same project. Have not had work from them or any of the others for over a month. SaSR was one of them and WorkSmart was another. Too bad I was not an employee of worksmart at that time or I would have made a little more. SaSR was, of course, the lowest payer, as always.

Believe me, I would love steady work. There is very little around me in merch and I work for many companies - 2 large ones, many staffing companies like SaSR and worksmart and one DSD. The only company that gives me steady work is the DSD but it's less than 20/week. They do, however, pay about $3/hr more than the 2 large companies I work for which comes out to be about the same as or a little more than the staffing companies I do resets for. Talk of more hours for me soon with the DSD, but I will believe it when I see it. Anymore, I never believe anyone in this business, especially when it comes to promised hours. I just work my arse off and hope they will like that and give me more hours. But I always have one eye on the job boards for a real job. Merch is too unstable an industry for someone like me who needs FT with benefits. Best for those who get benefits from spouses and only need PT work and don't worry if one week no work is available. Healthy retirees are prefect candidates for merch. Most of those I work with are retirees or wives who's hubby's work FT and they mainly stay home with kids. I am a misfit in that respect most of the time when I am merching.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  02:22:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Advantage, ASM, Marketwide, Integrity Marketing, Whatever name they call theirselves now they have a very interesting number of reviews on glassdoor.com . Its pages and pages long. Its not too flattering either. I expect some folks have an ax to grind. It is worth taking a look at. Some of the reviews are from upper management. I found it quite entertaining reading.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:25:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They have no work and they send out this goal expectations email.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  10:18:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LarryTPosted - 04/18/2012 : 9:01:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't say I got $20/hour. ASM probably paid the staffing company $20+/hour. I got $12 with an 8 hour min payout and mileage after 20 miles round trip.

LarryT you stated "They paid upwards of $20/hr or more for each temp (no doubt) when they could just pay their own reset employees less than half that".

I didn't realize the staffing company informed you how much ASM paid them. Most of us aren't privy to that information, which I doubt you were either. So I assumed you were stating what you were paid, as that is what most people do, if they tell their pay at all.

Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  05:00:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually saw an ad for the same resets that paid 2.50 more per hour than I make with Advantage. That irritated me somewhat. I was signed up for one of the resets with Advantage at the lower rate and then it disappeared from my schedule. Oh well!

I do know when I worked at a company in which we used outside staffing, the rate paid to the temp company was almost double of what the employee made. That could be different depending on the industry but Larry is probably correct in his statements.

Edit -I asked about the job being removed from my schedule and got a vague answer that sometimes they change their mind on how many people they need on the job. The money issue was not asked, I would have stewed over whatever answer they gave me.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  09:12:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How come you did not ask your manager about it?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Michael S.

Winter Park, FL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  10:39:05 AM  Visit Michael S.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
that is funny but I was going to ask the same question

quote:
How come you did not ask your manager about it?

-M

Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  06:07:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had a bad experience with ASM recently. I had a job scheduled for today and could not login. It turns out I was terminated due to no activity. I have to apply again. If you do not take work from them in a certain time period (I assure I do not know) you will be terminated.
Go to Top of Page

Michael S.

Winter Park, FL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  06:58:26 AM  Visit Michael S.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
that happened to me as well

-M

Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  1:19:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was also terminated, ( got a email in Jan) due to not having completed any work for 6 months with them. But I get at least 6 emails a day from the Supervisor on work that needs to be completed. Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  4:57:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for letting us know about the inactivity - termination. I have a couple of small ongoing jobs for them and will keep them just to see what else comes on the job board.
Go to Top of Page

Michael S.

Winter Park, FL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  10:32:38 AM  Visit Michael S.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
yep thanks for the heads up.... something better to know early

-M

Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  03:54:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what they gain by making people re-apply. It's a bit counter productive if folks have jobs coming up. I think they want to freshon up the work force maybe. It sounds like they are just creating a headache for themselves and their employees, What are they thinking I wonder, to do this to someone who has work scheduled?

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  05:17:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It will 'clean out' the applicants that they said 'you're hired' but never got the new hire packet (like me), or those that have decided not to work for them.

Basically just cleaning up the files for HR.

When they said I was hired, I kept asking how to sign on and they just kept telling me that they would reset my password, but never did. I'm sure I wasn't the only person that this happened to.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

TheresaCinNWIN

Northwest, Indiana
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  4:50:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandra Wright

I'm not sure what they gain by making people re-apply. It's a bit counter productive if folks have jobs coming up. I think they want to freshon up the work force maybe. It sounds like they are just creating a headache for themselves and their employees, What are they thinking I wonder, to do this to someone who has work scheduled?

Possibly, lower pay rates...

Theresa C.
MSPA Gold Shopper jwkksg
Shopping/Merchandising NW Indiana and a little beyond
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  01:17:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You have a point there. They can hire at a lower rate. What a circus though since they have to put through all that new paperwork.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

BrianHanson37
Valued Contributor

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  8:22:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for them in CO and was paid very well for a PT project merchandiser (over 12/hr plus drivetime and mileage). Since I moved back my supervisor helped me get transferred (BTW VERY good mgrs in western region) but I haven't gotten anything from my new WI TM. My old TM even contacted me and asked how everything was going, after I told him that I didn't hear anything he copied the local mgr here on the email and STILL never got a response. I also got a email today saying that ASM evaluated their policies or some corporate BS saying that they are now paying drivetime at minimum wage instead of your regular hourly rate. This is a very low blow to me, I knew a lot of people on the compass teams that traveled that much every week because of that, I foresee a lot of job openings with ASM shortly!
Go to Top of Page

TeriZoo41

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  8:14:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I work for this company in So. California as a retail merchandiser. It depends on your boss and if you get a bad one they can make your life heck. I had a good manager and I just got a new one and she is not nice at alllllll. She doesnt smile at all and she is a control freak. My guess she doesnt have much of a life and lives and breaths this job. I cant understand why this company would keep her and have a huge turn over rate. When the economy gets better my guess a lot of these people will be quiting. Next time I see her I will be bringing her a broom. lol All kidding a side I feel sorry for someone who is that unhappy in life and feels the need to be rude all the time.

Teri
Go to Top of Page

TeriZoo41

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  2:12:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I dont get it either and this manager has been with advantage for a long time and she lovessssss her job so no chance of her quitting. Companies seem to love that type of manager but these managers tend to kiss butt to people up above them and they probably do get results so the company thinks its worth it I guess. We go on a conference call and people want help and she goes off on them. I think wow. I was embarrassed by her attitude and how unhappy she must be. This is why I like merchandising because I think things could be worse I could be working in an office with this women.

Teri
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  3:42:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone on the unilever team as a merchandiser? Do you build alot of displays and do alot of resets?

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums