Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  2:14:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen them in a couple of months I think. Then again I'm hardly getting anything at all.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  3:35:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
i guess it depends on where you live.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  5:19:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
well it looks like advantage is following suit with all the other campanies. just got the email as of may 6th it will be 40 miles one way and 60 minutes each way before anything is paid out. oh well,it was nice while it lasted. too bad the stores aren't closer.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  8:06:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yep,in talking with several on the "core team",they added at least 6 new clients in 4 months,cut hours back in each store but added more work(not suprising). They have goals that must be met for each client in each store-so many displays,so many cases sold to the manager,major push to get new items on shelf in 8 weeks or less which means getting the IC to pull planograms for store,get tags made and put on shelf and that doesn't include the main clients and rotating, pulling out of date items in each store and lots of coupons to put on items as well. Plus the clients and DM'S come in and "audit" the stores on a regular basis to see if they did all this. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2013 :  7:35:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yep,you are so right.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1644 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  05:23:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
^ Maralyn, DL does pay drive time and miles now. When you go to submit your minutes for payroll you will see a box that should be checked... it says CALCDTM. If you check your payroll on Ceridian you will see how much they give you. Every bit helps.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  3:13:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
@MCBarb: Maralyn was talking about ASM, not DL.

@Maralyn: All the people I know from ASM are reset merchandisers and they all claim that ASM pays them only min wage for their drive time. Perhaps ASM pays different type of merchandisers/teams differently when it comes to mileage and DT, just like Acosta does. BTW, I thought you already worked for ASM ass a Retail Sales Merchandiser??? Did you get hired by them for another job as well?

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  8:51:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never realized until reading Advantages front page last night that they say they are the #1 merchandizing company in North America now. I guess buying up all those smaller companies has paid off for them.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  11:45:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All I know is that they have much less work for me. When I started with them through RMX I had much more work and made much more money. They paid by project pay instead of hourly pay; I would of never of signed up with them for hourly pay. I'm with them until I find something better. It is so frustrating when you self assign work and it just disappears off your web page with no explanation; this has happened many times.

This work is suppose to be a sideline while I pursue my real career; it seems that no one can support themselves doing this line of work anymore. I'm in Los Angeles where the cost of living is very costly. I'm at my wits end.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  08:43:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sadly, when a company is lucky enough to add business, they are more likely to add more employees to cover it than they are to give more work to existing employees, all with an eye towards keeping you below 30-32 hours a week so they don't have to provide you any benefits. It ensures them of a better chance at being profitable- at your expense.

I've read that, if a company hires a full-time worker at, say, $12 an hour, the cost of the benefits that go with being a full-timer make the total compensation something like $28 an hour. OK...if that's true, then why not pay a part-timer more to make up for the benefits you're not giving them? Seems to me that you as they company are still $10/hour to the good.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  8:55:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
ASM uses some sort of 'personality profile' as part of their pre-screening process.

The questions are mostly along the lines of "ethical dilemmas"; what would you do if you found yourself in a given situation. Others question your personal ethics.

Be very careful before deciding how to answer these questions and weigh the consequences of answering them truthfully versus answering them as you think the employer wants you to answer them. You *might* be surprised which one will carry more weight with the screeners who evaluate your responses.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  4:11:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a co-worker that contacted me a few hours ago. She claims that ASM is on her arse to hire her as a "Techical Retail Sales Rep" (possible for Samsung products, but they are really vague about it). She tells me that the recruiter said it was a full time position, M-F and...get this...pays $18-$20/hour. Even at the lower $18/hr, that is extremely good money in my area, especially for what amounts to an entry-level "sales" job with a merchandising company in this econcomic climate.

She was told that she would have to go to Texas for 4 days of training.

I checked their site and I find no retail sales rep positions of any kind posted at ASM for within my whole state and the position is for within my state so I find that rather odd, to say the least.

They found her on a job/resume site (not NARMS). So far, she has been contacted by 2 different recruiters in the past 4 or 5 weeks about this same position. She is thinking about taking the leap, but is a bit skeptical becasue the above average pay for our area for such a position and becuase they will not tell her too many specifics (as most retail merch recruiters do since most recruiters have very little information to give you).

Anyone know anything about this position?

I personally have a low opinion of the company and their recruiting practices both from experience and from those I worked with that work for ASM, but I don't want to dissuade her just on that alone. I want to help her find out more about the job without quitting her current job and eventually finding herself in the unemployment line when she finds out that the recruiter told her what she wanted to her just to get a commission for hiring her.

Any info at all would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

MargieG
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  5:19:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know anything about ASM but I can think of at least two other companies that I've gotten calls from that are hiring for the same position. This is basically a retail sales position that pays well. My questions to your co-worker would be:

1) Are you a techie (i.e. you keep up with the latest gadgets and emerging technology?) Samsung will train you on their products but what about competing products? Customers will ask you about them.
2) Do you have a track record in sales?
3) Can you meet sales quotas?
4) Are you a people person?

I make this kind of money for sales but it was only after a couple of years of assisted selling, proving that I was really good at selling, and meeting my sales quotas.

Margie
MSPA Gold Certifed since 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2013 :  8:08:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone here an RSR Retail Sales Rep for ASM (but not a RSM Retail Sales Merhcandiser)?

Being contacted by ASM for the RSR position in a home improvement chain. Say they require a 4-year degree, which I have, but I find that odd since I bet they only pay $13/hr or less for a field position in my area. I don't know this for a fact, but I'd bet on it.

Any input as to the pitfalls and the good points about this position?

Supposedly it is a FT position, but these recruiters love to tell you what they think you want to hear, so I put very little weight on what they tell me.

Not sure I want the job, but I really need a FT job, if in fact it is FT. Been looking for years.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Estep

Rantoul, IL
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  6:15:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Other than the last few days of October annual blitz, has anyone seen Halloween candy jobs pop up to be scheduled yet?
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  10:12:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Estep

Other than the last few days of October annual blitz, has anyone seen Halloween candy jobs pop up to be scheduled yet?

That is all I have seen so far. Hoping for more to be posted soon.
Go to Top of Page

Avery
Valued Contributor

Salida, Colorado
USA
179 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  4:59:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here have experience doing "demos" for ASM?

I used to work a lot for NCiM (doing food demos in grocery stores) before it was bought out by Crossmark. Crossmark was impossibly difficult to work for, so I left (along with a lot of others). Now I've heard that Advantage has taken over the stores where I used to do demos when working for NCiM/Crossmark.

The demonstrator I spoke with said that she liked not having to use her own equipment, but it would seem the pay is 20% lower than what Crossmark paid for the same work.

Any comments?
Go to Top of Page

LolaKelly

Burbank, CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  10:23:44 PM  Visit LolaKelly's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Crossmark just purchased PromoWorks who does the demos in Safeway/Vons. ASM purchased Gourmet that does Ralphs/Kroger and they pay less and no mileage. The Supervisor is rude and talks down to you.
This needs to improve.....we should group together and open our own company!!

Lola
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  09:42:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think that ASM is doing the demos in Walmart Supercenters.

I'm in at least one of those each day and occasionally run across a person doing most often food demos and I swear their nametags have Advantage on them. It seems to be pretty steady work, as the same couple of folks have been doing the demos at my Thursday stores for the last year or so.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Brenda C

Aberdeen, NJ
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  8:22:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been doing Keurig for them for at least 5 years, and will be doing it for this holiday season.

Shopping Jersey!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums