Page: of 34

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  8:36:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SusanP

It amazes me how we are treated, a warm body to complete the calls, with no regard to quality and no responses to questions or concerns about completing the call with excellence

That's how it is with almost every company. The few that do care are the smaller but well-organzied ones. The small disorganized ones and the larger ones, they all hire bodies and could care less about good workers, which is why raises are rare to non-existent.

This is not a career anymore. It is a way to waste time and make a few pennies in the meantime, basically.
Go to Top of Page

MargieG
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  05:31:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
SusanP - Don't listen to Larry. There are still good companies out there. They are just few and far in between. I'm like you. I believe in excellence and want to grow and be appreciated. Over the last year I have had an excellent company I have been with for over five years go bad. About a year ago they hired a former DM from Driveline and he has transformed the company into a low pay, treat your people bad, no communication, we only need a pair of hands company. He's on the fast track now ...... and I'm getting out.

If you liked ASM why not reapply?

Margie
MSPA Gold Certifed since 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  07:10:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MargieG

SusanP - Don't listen to Larry. There are still good companies out there. They are just few and far in between.

Huh? "Don't listen to Larry?" I said the same thing you said...

I used the word "ALMOST"...

"That's how it is with ALMOST every company." not "this is how it is with "EVERY SINGLE" or "ALL" companies".

This is the same as saying... "few and far between".

LOL. Losts of people here have selective reading skills, aye?

Furthermore, I never said one should not be a good worker. However, especially in this line of work, it ALMOST always is not really to your advantage to be a good worker (no raises or recognition).... and therefore ALMOST all supervisors/manager don't care.

I have yet to work for a company that actually cares about good merchandisers (well atucally, maybe 1, but they still don't give raises). All they want is the job to be reported. Half-a$$ work is nothing they are concerned with. I have oodles of stories and proof of this in the 2 years I have been in merchandising and in the 7+ years in retail services.

The most recent story I have is about 2 months ago, one of my supervisors told me flat out that I am definitely one of his best merchandisers. Then, 2 weeks later, I asked for a raise. Did I get one? Nope. Even "one of the best" can't get a raise. If the best can't get one, well....needless to say, I no longer care or go out of my way to go the "extra mile" for this company. I work slower to get more hours and that is how I get my "raise".

In the end, it is the report that gets the company paid, not a "good job". This industry is tooooo low margin and tooooo cut-throat to pay and acknowledge good work ethics. Merchaindisers are a dime a dozen, people. The industry realized this and that is the way it will be for ever and ever at this point. I have stated this in numerous threads and the reasons for it. No need to reiterate it again here.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  08:18:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you don't like this line of work, get out and find something that will better suit you and your needs. All this complaining and doing nothing about it is a real drag. These companies are not going to change to fit your needs and wants. Career counseling might be a thought.

I use to make a lot more money when these companies paid by the piece rate.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  09:20:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In response to this discussion..its what you find that suits your needs and those of the company. Things have changed alot in this industry and I dont like all the changes but you go with the flow or move on to whatever suits you. There are still good companies out there just not as easy to find IMO.
We all have to find our corner of the Retail /Merchandising/Marketing world.. If not, you may want to temp somewhere till or check out something that suits you better. We are all being squeezed but I found another part time job that suits my needs just in the last year and works for me. It is what you make it. I wish you luck...dont listen to the negativity, just be realistic.

Mia
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  4:32:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love merchandising and I love ASM's low pay and low mileage and uncaring attitude. I love making slave wages and love paying for gas and wear for the profit of another. ASM is the best company in the world and merchandising is the best job one could ever hope to get. Period. Anyone who disagrees doesn't know better and is simply a negative sob.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  9:43:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Move on and find something else. Stop your constant complaining already.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  9:48:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think that the problem for many of us is that after a certain age, and after having lost your career/real job when the recession hit, there really is nothing else to move on to any longer, especially in this economy and especially at a certain age. Many of us feel stuck/trapped and in truth, we are. It's a very difficult and not so wonderful position to be in.

I know that personally I have never worked so hard in all of my life, spent so much money in unreimbursed expenses, had to keep changing jobs/looking for other companies to work for, for no benefits whatsoever, and having incredible demands/pressure put upon me by these companies, juggling a constantly changing schedule which makes me feel like I don't know if I am coming or going or have already been there, not really being appreciated at all, never ever getting a raise while seeing my expenses climbing, working ridiculously long hours and days and for the smallest amount of money that I have ever made and worrying about what the heck I would do if I got sick and needed to see a doctor.

All of this does wear on a person. Plus, we have no real job security. It's even worse if you are single and have to endure all of this alone. It's very stressful and doesn't make for much of a happy life or outlook.

If I find that I don't care for someone's posts on here, I just try to ignore them rather than berate them or not accept/understand where they are coming from. We all need to vent from time to time. Each person's reality is just that. Be grateful if you are doing better than some of us are and try to understand that others are just barely surviving and not doing very well with no real hope on the horizon either. This is not just "complaining", it's how things are for some of us.
Go to Top of Page

Avery
Valued Contributor

Salida, Colorado
USA
179 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  12:33:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dear Actor:

The Volition Forum is exactly the right place to vent -- whether it's about a bad supervisor, or a sub-par company, or a difficult industry.

I never start to work for any company without checking in here first and, if it weren't for the negative comments, all of the positive reviews would read like just so much company-sponsored puff-pieces.

For instance, you can read here if a company always pays slowly or not at all unless prodded, and then you can read if they've cleaned up their act or are going out of business. Some people can deal with slow-pay, others cannot; however, if there's nowhere to find out if it's just you or general company policy, you're operating in the dark. On the other hand, there are often people who can help with direct e-mail addresses or even company representatives who will jump in and get a problem solved.

As a personal example of when I wish in hind-sight that someone would have written some honest reviews instead of just towing the company line: If I had known that company "X" would be destroyed after it was purchased by company "Y" (in keeping with their general business-model), I would NOT have wasted six months of my life trying to fit into the ludicrous corporate structure of company "Y" but would have immediately started looking for similar work with other companies.

And, while I really enjoy Maria's positive attitude; I also appreciate Larry's sarcasm (in his last post); and I am in complete agreement with Sue's statements about the toll this grind can take. I'm 63 and have worked in law, university, architectural, manufacturing and real estate offices, and I know from personal experience that, at my age, there are literally 200 applicants for every nice 9-to-5 office job for which I'm qualified. I also know from personal experience that it removes your very soul (*) when you can't afford to quit working for a company which treats you like an indentured servant.

To paraphrase and co-mingle thoughts: if you don't like reading someone's truthful account of their frustration with a company, then don't subscribe to any topics which relate to people's experiences working for companies which aren't perfect. This forum is a place where we're most likely to find a shoulder to cry on, or a helpful hint to work around a problem, or insight into a particular company's style.

You yourself stated (six months ago)
"This work is supposed to be a sideline while I pursue my real career; it seems that no one can support themselves doing this line of work anymore. I'm in Los Angeles where the cost of living is very costly. I'm at my wits end."

I wonder if you realize that many of us are working after our "real career" was destroyed by the economy, or that quite a few do support ourselves doing demos, mystery shops, and merchandising, or that it is the part-timers (who'll do anything for a few bucks as a sideline) who are under-mining the professionals who care about their work and would like to get paid accordingly?

(*) You know the saying about how something "[word that starts with the letter "s"] out your very soul"? The automatic bad-word-obliterating program kept replacing the correct word with the word "stinks" and, while that works for saying something is "lousy," it does NOT work in conjunction with removal of your soul by a vacuum process.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  3:56:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Avery, I think you speak for many of us here. I am in the same boat as you. I am also 63 and I am working a slew of part time jobs and demo jobs to support myself and I live alone with no other support. It's easy to tell people to move on when there is nothing much else to move on to and if you apply at decent companies (what few are left) a million other people have applied as well and they look at your age and toss your app in the round file. I am also on the West Coast and living in a tiny apartment and the rent is $1,020 a month for 455 square feet. And I am certainly not at the beach or in a fancy place or area at all! And everything is expensive out here. I have cut back on everything possible. I don't even have a smart phone and have no money in my pathetic budget to have one either. The only way I could live any cheaper is to live in my car. lol

Boy, did this hit home with m when you said: "I also know from personal experience that it removes your very soul (*) when you can't afford to quit working for a company which treats you like an indentured servant." Amen.

Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
389 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  6:27:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like LarryT is making some more friends with his fantastic attitude. I usually stay away from any topic he has been ranting on. Makes a great grinch.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2013 :  7:10:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
At one time, being a sales representative was a pretty good job.

My first real rep/merchadising job was for a music distribution company back in 1985. I had a company car that cost me absolutely nothing, a gas card for gasoline and maintenance, regular reviews and raises, free music and video, chances to earn bonuses not only for going above and beyond the job description but incentives for just doing your job, vacation and a host of other benefits. I've been blessed enough to have a few more jobs with employers who were also, to varying degrees, generous.

However, like Larry, I have also worked for quite a few companies who saw their employees as disposable commodities, to be ground down and discarded. They demanded total loyalty from their employees (such as by scheduling work five days a week but varying the hours so it made it difficult to take other work) but were uninterested in extending loyalty in return. Raises were either minuscule or nonexistent. Forget about cars or credit cards to pay for gas or even a decent level of reimbursement for using up your own car.

The bottom line is that merchandising companies are slaves to their clients and the retailers who sell their products. Major retailers such as...well, you know....can suddenly make a decision that leaves multiple companies, some of whom have serviced their stores for years, without a client, usually because some other company stepped in and underbid them. That lower bid is made possible by lower overhead, which includes things like limited (or nonexistent) benefits, low wages, etc. If the buying public wants low prices always, well someone has to pay the cost of those low prices. All too often, that's us, the merchandiser/ sales representative.

Now that I am in the over 50 demographic, my choices if I decided to get out of this field, are limited. I've done this for almost 30 years (next year will be 30). Not only is that not an advantage but it is seen as a disadvantage because companies think they'll have to pay me more (which makes sense, as one would think someone with experience should be paid more than someone without). I think the company that I work for now does appreciate what I do, but they aren't willing to demonstrate that appreciation by anything more tangible than an "attaboy!" But when the options, given the economy, are few, you just carry on and hope that things get better and be thankful that they aren't worse.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  1:00:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Being positive doesnt make me a doormat, being realistic and working with what you have to get the job done doesnt make me settle for less. I m saying its my choice to react to what there is in the given situation. Is it perfect? NO! Is it what it is? Yes. I have as many years experience as many of you on this site. I have done it all. I m in the process of jobhunting all the time as I dont want to settle for what has become mediocre and not worth my time in wages. I m just dealing with reality...

I dont agree with all of what is said here and I dont wish to share details of my experiences because of many factors. I discuss generalities because its my choice. I have shared details in email. The person who wants details on how I got my jobs gets help but I did the research and networking. Enough said. Have a good weekend. M
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2014 :  6:00:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any recent happenings with ASM to talk about?

Robert
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  08:41:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone getting project work from them? Was busy for quite awhile and then it slowed down. I would appreciate a answer on this topic.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  2:50:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our view on the negativity in some of these posts.....it's just one persons opinion, don't like their point of view just scroll on (the little arrow on the right will work just fine) we read all points of view, we can be just as negative but choose not to in some posts, we have a combined 40+ years in this field and have worked for some great companies and we do know which ones to leave alone, currently we have an awesome gig going with a company that pays far more than any other company we have worked for in a long time, we work a project till finish, get a bit of time off and work another project, they treat us good and give usa choice on work coming up, we like it a lot and fits in with our schedule better than anyother gig we have worked, as to looking for more work I do that all the time, we have stopped using narms to look for work as I don't agree with their changes to their profile rules.

Hubby & MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  4:42:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MindyZ

we have stopped using narms to look for work as I don't agree with their changes to their profile rules.

Hubby & MindyZ

So what sites are you using besides Indeed and Simply Hired to look for work?
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  07:04:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I mainly looked on narms and indeed, never tried simply hired, I looked up for work in a $ general, they use some sort of a hire service, all I got in return was a bunch of schnitmail for jobs paying less than 10 an hour, most of the work we have been getting is the hard to fill stuff for cos. we have worked for before, I've gotten a few leads from other people we have worked with, the one we are working now was such a lead.

HubbyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  5:42:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Welp, I turned in my notice to my ACOSTA team and accepted a position with Advantage.

The pay is slightly better, which is always welcome, and the benefits seem to be similar. But the single biggest advantage (pun somewhat intended) is that I will be working in convenience stores rather than Walmart. That, pretty much alone, was reason enough to switch.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  7:22:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Congrats!!! I hate Walmart, seriously. What will you be doing in the convenience stores? How many hours a week or month will you get? What team or job does Advantage call that sort of work? I find the Team thing rather confusing for some reason. It's so hard to tell what is what in their job descriptions that they advertise for a lot of the time. I am always keeping an eye peeled these days.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums