Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  1:31:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Welcome over Robert, I guess you will be Small Format, that is where I work, C=Stores.......but don't count on it all being C-Stores, we venture out into other areas every once in a while. I have been very happy with my employment. When I was hired, they held the job for 3 months while I recovered from a knee replacement, and was able to travel comfortable. I had never worked a day for them, but they came looking for me, and was willing to wait.
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2014 :  3:46:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone work as a Club Supervisor? Care to share your experience in this position????

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2014 :  12:52:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got a phone call about a retail sales merchandiser for gum/candy. Anyone have any experiences with this before I get in too deep?

I have had a couple conversations with the DM. Overall, I haven't received much information about this job at all.

They want me to drive 2 hours (one way) to a store to "see what the job entails". With gas at 3.89, uncompensated,I don't think so.

I've been around the job force 35 years and I think this is strange.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2014 :  5:46:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maralyn

Welcome over Robert, I guess you will be Small Format, that is where I work, C=Stores.......but don't count on it all being C-Stores, we venture out into other areas every once in a while. I have been very happy with my employment. When I was hired, they held the job for 3 months while I recovered from a knee replacement, and was able to travel comfortable. I had never worked a day for them, but they came looking for me, and was willing to wait.

Thank you for the welcome!

Yep, I'll be in Small Format. Starting training on Monday.

I did similar work, albeit with somewhat different product (gum then versus candy now) while with Crossmark, so I have some familiarity with the way c-stores operate. I think the biggest difference will be the number of stores I have in my territory: 274! With ACOSTA, I had 11. Even with Crossmark, I had only about 180. Scheduling them all the first go-round will be a cast-iron pain in the you-can-guess-where.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  5:44:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought I had updated this post but it appears that I did not.

I worked for Advantage for a week and, during that time, ended up running the numbers and concluding that I was going to be losing an unacceptable amount of income from the car allowance and mileage that ACOSTA pays me. When I came to that conclusion, I turned in my notice.

The deal-breaker was mileage between stores. Convenience stores tend to be heavily clustered; it's not unusual for there to be a different one on all four corners of an intersection. With Advantage's drivetime/mileage policy (first 40 miles and 60 minutes are considered "commute" and you are not paid for them- this seems to be, unfortunately, becoming the industry standard now so I'm not picking on Advantage here in particular), it could well mean driving 25 miles to your first store (unpaid) and then working 10 stores that are within 10 miles of each other (paid) and then 25 miles back home (unpaid). Seems the advantage is all with Advantage here.

The work was not bad. I was able to begin working stores on my route by Thursday of my training week and several of them remembered me from the time I spent working them for Crossmark a couple years back. I hate that it didn't work out, but I'm not exactly getting rich in my present situation, so taking the sizable hit that I would have was simply out of the question.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  05:20:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Robert that is standard with most companies. I have been with Crossmark since 2004, it has always been 40/60, but the kicker with them is that they now calculate for you. It doesnt matter where you start and end, they figure what is the cheapest route. So if I start at a local store, run my route and end at a local store, they won't let you have it that way. They run both local stores up front and take from you. This is a true rip off, at least Advantage gives you the mileage that you drive, as you drive it. It has not always been this way with Crossmark. And they wonder why they have such a huge turn over in reps. People cannot afford this. But it is determined by people at computers that have never step into a store to work, think they know everything about the job, and they are clueless. At least with Advantage, I can take a local store, and end with a local store and they don't rip me off.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  05:57:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is, for the most part, a rip off. They can not take into part that you must drive past a school, or a factory or business park and sit in traffic. Then they will bitch when you take too much drive time. I had once had a company rep call and ask me to make a 2 1/2 hour drive for a $20.00 project. No expenses. He said I could make the trip in 90 minutes. I asked how? He said my computer said so. I said "fine. Put the computer in the car and let it do it." I had been making the trip for 15 years. I think I am more qualified to make that call. I asked the person to NEVER call me again.
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  7:08:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did project work for ASM, they used to pay by the job a couple of years ago. When I started seeing 11 minute jobs, I stopped doing work for them. That wouldn't pay to drive to the end of my driveway. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

MaryMM

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  7:13:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been asked to complete a EK Success-Continuity Coverage at a Walmart. There is not any Project Instructions or Product names on any of the Documents or Call Report I have received. Could anyone tell what products I will be servicing? Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  7:26:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The EK Success product your doing is scrapbooking decals/stickers. I was confused the first time I did this too.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  6:07:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maralynn-

Your last sentence is especially interesting, because my supervisor told me that, while I could- probably- get away with scheduling a store close to home to start (or end) the day in order to start the clock on mileage reimbursement, I could NOT both begin and end the day doing so and to try to do so would result in, at best, higher-ups planning my schedule for me and, at worst, termination for an ethical violation.

I worked a couple of years for Crossmark (first in data collection and then on the Kraft convenience store team) and I could have sworn they were 20 miles and 40 minutes when I had to drive my own car. That was 2010 I guess. The Kraft team had company cars, which was a big reason I transferred, though I understand they lost them not too long after I was laid off.

It does seem that just about every company out there wants to shift more and more of its costs onto its field reps, who can perhaps least afford to bear them. It's fine for a company to go paperless- to "save the environment" of course, right?- but what that means is I have to use my printer and astronomically overpriced ink to print what was once mailed to me (and I'm going to bet their price per page for printing is just a little less than mine). And that's just one example.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
465 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  4:47:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Speaking of being paid drive time and mileage.
I had 3 phone calls today from 3 different companies offering me a job.They were all weekly for a flat pay rate of $10.
1 was 75 miles 1 way,the 2nd one 30 miles 1 way and the 3rd 1 40 miles 1 way
And no mileage or travel time paid.
They couldn't figure out why I turned them down, after telling them it would cost $10 and more in gas just to drive there
If I had other jobs in those areas, then I would have said yes, but I don't.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

EliseY
Apprentice

Texas
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  9:57:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
and on ethics.....

Ain't nothing ethical about expecting employees to improve margins by absorbing the cost of doing business: free use of a 20 - 30K vehicle, maintenance, insurance, licensing, and fuel. All for the benefit of the employer with little or no reimbursement. After the numbers are run over the long haul, wages easily fall below the legal minimum limit. How ethical is that? All your electronics - computer, printer, cell, fax, etc. also are for the benefit of the employer. Calculate the costs the employer saves by putting the burden to keep up with technology on you.

I'm new here on the forums, but not new to merchandising. I've been doing this nearly 20 years. The good ones are hard to find and get on with, but there have been times when an allowance for internet service, phone, and car expenses were provided - above and beyond actual payment for services rendered. I-phones and /or tablets are provided with some employers (as it should be). When companies factor in shifting the burden of doing business onto their employees, it is they who are unethical, and borderline illegal.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  09:08:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone getting project work from them. They had some steady work for a time and then it dried up the last couple of months.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  11:47:50 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am newly recruited by the Advantage recruiting team. They picked me up off NARMS. The recruiting process was more work than the effort was worth. The actual onboard was worse. I was tempted to tell them forget it.
=====
So now I am on board (on paper). The DM is a nice guy still behind the learning curve in some ways. He has a good attitude. He makes a good effort to follow up and communicate.
I thought I was being recruited for project team. I ended up on the Reset Team.
The central office set me up to drive 60 miles to a town that has good people for a job not worth the time. No mileage for the first 40 miles each way. No drive time for the first hour each way. I wrote back and said "I don' think so." The DM was supportive given he has good people unscheduled in that town. They work that store often.

The central office had my skill set miscoded and still does in some ways. The result was very limited work and then no work. I even had work scheduled and then pulled.
The week that I gave up and forgot to check my job board was the week they set me up with something to do. When we resolve that by rescheduling, I get four documents. Three are in MS Office formats.
One is a file extention filename.MSG. NOBODY has been able to tell me what software can open that file. If any of you know, please drop me a note or respond in here.
======================
I had two close stores and one location in town that I was able to do today instead of the way it was scheduled. With no teammate assigned, I had permission to do them on my schedule in this week.
I did the closest first / the distant one second / the other very close third. That flies for their system. I get a few bucks travel for the in town location. Nothing for going to or returning from the other two locations.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  1:03:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Advantage has been advertising continously for reps in my aresa. They are not getting any. I wonder if the way they treat and pay had anything to do with it?
Go to Top of Page

GregSMartin

Roberts, ILL
USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  5:07:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah,know what you mean. My job searches anymore are always Acosta,Advantage,American Greetings(they call themselves AG now..) and Premium..All part time and 10 bucks or less an hour..well I know Acosta is 11. I have been with 3 of these companies and you sir are 110% right in your comments. My gosh I make 11 with SASR & you're not beholden to drive 60 miles(for free pretty much) to do a 15 min project.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  5:42:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
ost of these merchandising companies were paying 10 an hour back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I went ant dug up some old tax returns and pay stubs. Then they wonder the quality of reps, when they can get any.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  9:20:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They used to pay by the location; I made quite bit more money with them then.

Now they have hardly any work. They over hire with this company too. They don't seem to take care of loyal reps at all.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  6:06:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For those that are a retail project merchandiser, do you really work 20 hrs a week or less? They said any type of stores, from large format to best buys etc. doing resets and so forth. Do you guys like being on this team-if that's what you'd call it.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums