Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lana_R
Trainee

Missouri
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  9:50:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Elaine - do you know where do you apply for american greetings?
Go to Top of Page

Elaine87
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  09:36:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Lana,if you go to the AG website it has a careers tab and you just click on that. If I remember correct,it takes you to Carlton cards and you can post your resume and sign up for job alerts.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine87
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  4:25:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do they have any kind of benefits? Or even like an employee discount type of thing like Hallmark?
Go to Top of Page

Val2121
Contributor

Denver, CO
USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  6:56:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I worked for American Greetings (aka Carlton Cards),
the only benefit I received was at holiday time (Christmas)
they offered a one time discount on all of your purchases
at a Carlton Cards store. I can't remember what it was.........
Might have been up to 50%. Sorry, could have been 25%--I just
don't remember.

I enjoyed my time working for them.

The best thing was the schedule was kind-of flexible.....I serviced a store 3X per week, anytime during daytime hours I wanted. I could do it 10-2 or 8-1 or 8-10 one day then more or less hours the next time, as long as I did not go over their allowed # of hours for the week.

The worst thing was you HAD to work the day(s) after a major holiday such as the day after Christmas, etc.....

You were kind of your own boss. We had an area manager, and of course, the store always made sure you did your job, etc.
The stores never did anything specific, but if I had NOT done my job,
I'm sure my boss would have heard about it.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine87
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  9:02:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Val2121 I currently work for Hallmark so I know about the dreaded day after holidays but I don't mind it too much. Since the store I now service is switching companies,I figured I wouldn't have a chance to continue with my store since I know there is another rep at a near by store. But last Friday one of the manager's told me that a AG manager was in and asking about me and wants to meet with me about working with them. So now I am really trying to get as much info as I can about them. I have really enjoyed Hallmark but after February,they will no longer be in any area's close to me.:( Thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaK
Valued Contributor

NJ
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  03:57:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

Before you give up on being able to stay with Hallmark, have you asked about all divisions. Aside from the grocery stores and individual Hallmark stores, Hallmark is also in Wal-Mart, CVS Pharmacies, Kohls, and Walgreens. Ask your TA what other division of Hallmark might be in your area.
Go to Top of Page

Val2121
Contributor

Denver, CO
USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  04:01:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi! One more thing.............when I quit-end of 2002, they were JUST going to raise the hourly rate to around $7.00.
I've heard they don't pay as well as Hallmark; don't know for sure about that!

Good Luck!

Val
Go to Top of Page

Elaine87
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  06:51:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi PatriciaK, I have talked with my TA and manager and there isn't anything close to me. I've been with them for almost 2 years and will miss it. My TA also lost her job because of an account that was lost and she was with them for 10 years

Val2121,thanks for letting me know about the wage. It is less than what I make now but at least the store is pretty close to me and I work for other companies there as well.

Thanks for advice and info ladies
Go to Top of Page

Holli in NJ
Contributor

NJ
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  9:11:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone working or know how their pay is now? Is it a good company
and is the pay better than these previous posts now?
TIA

Holli
I Love This Board!
Go to Top of Page

Cynthia Wilson

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2007 :  4:38:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The pay is about the same. I don't work for American Greetings. I work for Hallmark. The ladies that work for American Greetings at my stores seem to like working for AG.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

PattiCake51

Cookeville, TN
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  5:05:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Are any of you that still work for AG getting the dollar general accounts? I now have a total of 10 stores for them.5 of them DGs. I am the lead on the revisions of 15 DGs between now and april. I was just wondering if anyone has done them yet.
Go to Top of Page

PegF of TX
Valued Contributor

Del Rio, TX
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  2:11:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Am I correct in assuming that if you work for AG - you can't work for a company like Driveline that does cards in the dollar stores?

I'm finding that I really enjoy working on the cards in my stores and I would prefer to work with AG vs. Hallmark (due to the flexibility AG seems to have for the scheduling) if I was going to switch.

Of course, right now I'm getting enough hours from Driveline...(and I hope they keep the dollar stores)....

Peg Flint
Shopping & Merchandising
Silver Certification zvdcro
Go to Top of Page

PattiCake51

Cookeville, TN
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  2:15:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard any different on this Peg.I have been working for AG longer than Driveline. I do the cards in the FD for Driveline,and the DG for AG. I combine my jobs so I am at the stores on the same day for both companies and haven't had a problem about either one. Both companies know I work for the other.
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  05:33:10 AM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any current feedback? They have jobs in my area.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

Helene
Contributor

PA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  05:43:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got called about 2 weeks ago for a job in PA, and was shocked when I was told the pay was 7.65 an hour
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  3:58:54 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow that is really low. Any perks like mileage or paying for drive time?

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  4:25:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for them for several years....usually had about3-4 stores to service. The other posters are right about the pay; it was about $1 above minimum wage when I was working.

They are very strict about the hours....only allow so many hours per store, and, we were expected to keep the work up-to-date within those hours. That didn't always work out, and, my supervisor was good to approve a few extra hours every now & then, during especially heavy times.

It was not fun to go into the stores to work the day after a holiday...but, mostly, it was simply a matter of taking down the holiday cards and refilling that section, usually with a new shipment of special occasion cards.

One of the main chores was to keep the merchandise worked out of the stores' backrooms. Stores complained if your merchandise was taking up their space. So, we often had the under-counter storage packed.

I did enjoy the work....always felt like I had created something when I finished. We didn't always have new orders to put up; so, on those days, it was just a matter of straightening the cards, filling in the blank spots....adding envelopes.

You need to be able to lift heavy boxes, especially the holiday shipments....kinda hard on the back after awhile.

If you get a chance, you should try it, at least. I quit to take another part-time job, but, still filled in with AG to help on store revisions, etc.

When our Grandson was born, I found it was much more fun to spend my spare time with him, than to shuffle cards....
Go to Top of Page

Helene
Contributor

PA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  5:15:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellen
There is no mileage or travel. The manager said she knows the pay is very low, but basically as long as they can get people to work for that, it won't be raised.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  7:57:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any perks like mileage or paying for drive time

When I worked for American Greetings, we did not receive mileage; however, we did get paid for our driving time between the stores.

That meant that our time did not start until we got to our first store of the day. Our time did not stop until we finished servicing our last store of the day. That policy falls in line with IRS regulations about traveling between jobs....From your home to the first store would be considered 'commuting' and, is not an allowable expense, according to IRS rules.

Of course, we did not get paid for the time that we took time out for lunch, or personal business.

So, I would begin my day at a store near my home, then my second stop would be the store furthest from my home....then, I would work my way back to finish my day at a store close to home. That worked best for me.

It's too bad, since gasoline is so high now, that AG, and other employers, do not allow you a given amount to offset some of the cost.
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  04:19:25 AM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are only one or two stores in my area that they're hiring for right now and both are right next to each other so I don't think drive time will be applicable :)

I have applied so please keep your fingers crossed. I think working with the cards sounds like fun. I don't think the lifting can be any worse than batteries LOL!

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums