Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  06:40:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have learned to leave my purse in the trunk before entering a store to do merchandising jobs. I usually forget about the things I wanted by the time I get in my car.
Go to Top of Page

.KabeeCA
Inactive

Orange County, CA
USA
244 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  6:46:34 PM  Send .KabeeCA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My biggest tip for saving money?

Don't live in California!

~Shopping "The OC" and some areas of Long Beach, CA~
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Allyson Goldjay
Star Contributor

Elkton, MD
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  12:02:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
1. Check unit prices of items and keep a list so when something goes on sale you know if it really is a sale.
2. Buy books from half.com or better yet go to the library if it isn't something you don't actually need to keep.
3. I shop at yard sales and thrift stores for play clothes for my duaghter. She gets them dirty or outgrows them quickly anyway. I've gotten good name, good quality clothing for a fraction of the retail price. I've also gotten a few really beautiful dresses for her this way.
4. Cut back on portion sizes when you cook at home. If you do eat out (though not doing so saves even more!) cut portions in half and bring home half for another meal. It is almost always enough food for 2 meals!
5. I buy store brand sodas and other products. Most are good. But, konw if you don't like soemthign and don't keep buying something you don't liek cause it'll just go to waste!
6. If you have a cell phone with unlimited long distance, use it rather then long distance by the minute on a land line....better yet, get rid of the land line!
7. Don't take the kids shopping with you. They always want something and the temptation is often hard to resist!

Allyson

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED--Washington DC 2003
Go to Top of Page

KellyNY
Star Contributor

Long Island, New York
USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  1:27:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
7. Don't take the kids shopping with you. They always want something and the temptation is often hard to resist!

The same thing is true when I bring my husband along...in fact, I think he's worse than my son!

My advice would be to clip and use coupons each week. You'd be surprised how much the savings add up over time. All of the grocery stores near me have "double coupons" meaning they will double any coupon's value up to $.99. One store even doubles $1.00 coupons. And every once in a while I have seen triple coupons which really gets my blood racing! On my most recent triple coupon shopping trip, I brought a $70 order down to $9. But don't just buy things because they are a bargain. It's only a good deal if it's something you are actually going to use...unless of course you can get it for free, then you can always donate it.

Long Island, NY
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

FredSB

Massachusetts
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  2:27:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When you pay for things, don't give exact change. The change should be put away in a jar, etc. I find the money adds up over a period of time.
Go to Top of Page

Deborah

Meadow Lake, SK
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  2:28:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
1: Never carry cash (Hubby and I both tend to spend if we have the cash and that little change jar ALWAYS gets raided to buy things that we don't need )
2: Use the stores Credit card to make points but pay the card at the ATM right after ( I earn about 40.00 a year in free groceries)
3:but the best best way Hubby and I save; never ever ever use a bank account that charges service fees!!

DJ
P.S. we don't have 401K in Canada, could someone let me in on what they are?

Shopping Northern and Central SK,
MSPA Silver Cert. na03oq
Go to Top of Page

ShawnaL
Star Contributor

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  5:01:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
401k is a retirement savings plan, usually through someone's work.

My best tip to save money is to round up your entries in the checkbook, it will add up over time.

Shawna
Go to Top of Page

LauraMarie
Star Contributor

CA
USA
412 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  5:36:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't leave the house.

Seriously, every time I step out the door, I end up spending money whether I planned on it or not. Nothing else works.

Go to Top of Page

Deborah

Meadow Lake, SK
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  6:10:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply Shawna, up here in the great north we just call those RSP ( Retirement Savings Plans) or RRSP ( registered retirement savings plans [which are tax deductable]) I guess we just don't have the imagination to name them anything else
DJ

Shopping Northern and Central SK,
MSPA Silver Cert. na03oq
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  08:15:12 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnaL

My best tip to save money is to round up your entries in the checkbook, it will add up over time.
Shawna, can you explain this in more detail? I understand the concept, but could never figure out how to balance my checkbook if I'm doing this.
Thanks!

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

JillBriana
Trainee

Porterville, Ca
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  11:07:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My tips for saving money:
1-Wash your clothes in cold water. If you have a greasy stain, pretreat it.
2-Make your own laundry detergent (google it; you'll get lots of sites telling you how)
3-Check on ebay as well as other online stores before making a purchase. I bought a new camera on eBay for about $500 less than Amazon's price. Be sure to factor in shipping/handling
4-Shop for clothes at Ross and Marshall's. (Good clothes cheap)
5-Shop at Costco, but bring a calculator and the price per unit of products at the grocery store or Walmart. Bring the list to regular stores too, and stock up if something is on sale and it's cheaper than Costco.
6-Use a foodsaver. The foodsaver itself is a bit expensive, but eBay has great deals on them. Buy the bags at Costco, and reuse them. Also, use mason jars. I found a guy on eBay selling his own version of a mason jar sealer for foodsavers, but it works with any and every jar. It's about 12 bucks for the sealer and about 25 reusable valves. Works quite well. With a foodsaver, you can stock up at Costco without wasting anything. (Also, having lots of food in your freezer costs less engery than an empty freezer).
7-Buy the toothpaste that comes with free toothbrushes.
8-If you wear contacts, don't wear them everyday. I wear them to work and when I'm going out, but if it's just a day at home, I don't. Those days add up, and you won't have to guy contacts as often.
9-Buy OfficeMax brand ink cartridges. They work as well as name brand, but are half the price.
10-Use the "draft" quality setting when printing anything for your own use.
11-Reuse gift bags. Buy them at the dollar store if you need more.
12-Make your own lotion, sugar scrub, etc (again, google it).
13-Use vinegar to clean.
14-Use the "light" setting on your dishwasher, and air dry them.
15-Join the bookclubs that don't require you to buy any more books, but give you several for a buck apiece.
16-Check out the clearance at Target every couple of weeks. They've often got great items on clearance, including things like shampoo and protein bars, that have nothing wrong with them.
17-Clean out your car. Extra weight uses extra gas.

(All I can think of for now...)
Go to Top of Page

ShawnaL
Star Contributor

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  11:16:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Corrie.
I don't balance my checkbook, I just go through the statement and match it up w/ my entries, since I am only rounding by less than a dollar I will notice any discrepencies. One of the accountants at an old job taught me this method and I think she writes the original amount next to the entry so she can verify the numbers and balance her checkbook. I always had to balance my parent's checkbook while I was growing up and just do not see any good reason to do it for myself since I am on my banks website almost every day, anyway.

I know that probably didn't help much...sorry!!
Shawna

Shawna
Go to Top of Page

Jen Borgen
Valued Contributor

Peoria, AZ
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  12:54:44 PM  Visit Jen Borgen's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I bought Christmas cards at Hallmark for $1 a box!! I am set (card-wise) for Christmas already!

What a great deal

They also have many ornaments for sale right now too.

_________Silver Certified_________
Go to Top of Page

KristenH
Star Contributor

Palm Springs, CA
USA
382 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  11:22:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cut up your credit cards or never carry them with you. If you're going out of town, make sure the person who spends the least (in my case it's my husband) carries the credit card you will need for the hotel or incidentals. I even shop at the gas station with credit cards so now I don't allow myself in the store. Talk about a shopping addiction. I now only go into stores with a list and if it's not on the list, I don't allow myself to buy it. This saves me a ton of money.
Go to Top of Page

LauraLinDover
Star Contributor

Dover, NH
USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  6:21:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
another version of the checkbook trick, that my banker told me, and this is dependent on how much you can really afford, is to write the checks for XX amount higher in round numbers. For example, say you can afford $5 a shot, a check for 23.88 is written the register as 28.88. To balance the checkbook simply multiply the number of checks by 5. I don't write checks often, as I perfer on line banking, but it still works!

Laura
Happily Shopping the seacoast of NH, Southern ME and extreme Northeastern MA
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  4:50:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A great tip is to search on Ebay for gift certificates and store credits. Many times the winning bid is lower than the value of the gift card.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

KLynnD

Monroe, WA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  6:06:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Borrow books from the Library. But if you have to buy books to read, check into whether your library has a "Friends of the Library" area or sale. My library sells all paperbacks at .50, hardbacks at 1.00. Or some "local" (not chain) thrift stores can even beat these prices sometimes too.

Stupid Prices (or the like) has good deals on food. (But stay away from the other items if you don't need them to begin with, just avoid temptation.)

Go to Top of Page

KLynnD

Monroe, WA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  6:29:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Craigslist is great for finding previously used items at good prices. They also have a free area.

Also, Freecycle.org everything is free. Someone offers, others respond to take it.
Go to Top of Page

LoriLoo
Valued Contributor

Wilson, NC
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  11:44:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have several money saving techniques & tips. The biggest thing is ~ you don't have to quit living (& shopping) to save money, just spend smarter. I still shop, but only what I can afford to spend & still pay off quickly. Here's how I save shopping with credit cards. I get offers all the time for a free introductory period, like 6 months with no interest, and the ones where you earn points by using your card make the deal even better, like MyPoints Visa. I use my Visa & earn points buying stuff I'd normally buy anyway. After you collect so many points, you cash them in for gift cards. I just earned a $50 JCPenney gift card, when I got it, I applied it to my balance on my JCP credit card. (Of course, some cards don't accept gift cards to make payments) I buy my groceries with my MyPoints Visa, when I get home, I get online & make a payment immediately (because I would have had to pay cash anyway without the card) that's what I mean by spending just what you can afford to pay off quickly. Not only do I earn tons of points & get free gift cards, I also have increased my credit score too.

The other way I LOVE to save $$$ is to use coupons at the grocery store. Hit the sales paper & then clip coupons of products that they have on sale. Even better, somewhere like Haris Teeter that doubles coupons every day. I've shopped like this for years & you can really save a ton! I've literally gotten stuff FREE by doing that.

Go to Top of Page

Mahealani
Valued Contributor

Stockton, CA
USA
143 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  4:51:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One thing that I do a lot is request samples from the Walmart website such as trial sized shampoos, conditioners, medicine, etc. I save them for when I run out of the bigger sizes of each and, as well, when I travel I don't have to go to the store and buy the travel size.

I buy many of my new clothes at Goodwill. Yes, NEW clothes with the tags on them. There's a Target just across the street that donates the leftover clearance items. I've gotten brand new sweaters for $2.50 ($18 price tag), $3.50 dress that was priced at $22, and $28 slacks for $5 each. You have to search for them but it's well worth it. The only thing "wrong" with them is that Target slashed out the brand names on the labels but who can tell I paid less than $4 for my dress?

Mahealani
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums