Yes, I'd like to know that too!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
Star Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  7:49:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use this site for making my own cleaning products.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Laundry-Detergent/
With Borax, vinegar, salt, baking soda, water, and olive oil I can make all kinds of good green cleaning products. Toss in a bar of Fels Naptha, some castille soap, and essential oils and I can give Tide and Cascade a run for their money.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  06:20:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just applied for a gas card to save 15 cents a gallon.
Go to Top of Page

Helen_of_Georgia

Georgia
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  11:39:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This article gives a great recipe and instructions for making homemade laundry detergent. It makes gallons of laundry detergent for pennies.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/863709/how_to_make_your_own_laundry_detergent.html?cat=7

Helen of Georgia
MSPA Silver Certified
Mystery Shopping GA.TN.& NC
Go to Top of Page

New Mexico Jill
Valued Contributor

New Mexico
USA
134 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  12:42:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Where can you buy these ingredients? Specifically, the washing soda and essential oils?
Go to Top of Page

YMann

Cumming, GA
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  03:21:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the great tips. I am new to the coupon thing but I really can notice a different in my savings. I also love the cvs deals. thanks again

Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  4:57:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For those interested the local Harris Teeter is doing Triple coupons again. It is until the 5th here, so check your local one. I saved over $30.00 yesterday with the coupons.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

CathyKS
Valued Contributor

Lenexa, Kansas
USA
117 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  08:30:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have found that often with the right coupons it is cheaper for meto eat out than to buy foodand waste it. I have started just worrying about one meal at a time and have found I get what I really want to eat and can usually find a coupon that makes it cost effective.
Go to Top of Page

CathyKS
Valued Contributor

Lenexa, Kansas
USA
117 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  08:33:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have found for myself it is often cheaper to eat out than buy food and waste time cooking it or having it go to waste in my frig. There are tons of great coupons now to use. I get what I really want to eat and have found this to be more fun so now I just worry about one meal at a time.
Go to Top of Page

DSpindler
Apprentice

Hendersonville, TN
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  7:23:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always use coupons at Kroger and Publix in our area (Nashville) because they both double coupon values up to $0.50. Okay, okay, not biggie there I know. As you probably already know when Publix has BOGO you can get non-staple items VERY cheap. Here's the rub though...Often times CVS and Walgreens sell Sunday newspapers for $1.00 as a loss leader. I don't know if they do that in other areas of the country but at least they do it here. So when that happens, I buy two or three newspapers and I effectively extend my savings by 100 or 300%. I am very careful to only buy items on sale so I save a lot of money with coupons. I probably redeem over 50 coupons per month. It helps the pantry and I haven't paid full price for a can of soup, pasta sauce, cleaners, etc. for years. Just a small improvement on common knowledge I think. Stock up on newspapers...they're useful for more than bird cage liners!

Daryl
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  8:50:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Newspapers in this area never sell for less than the printed price. If you get them from a vending machine they are more & if you buy an out of town paper they also are more. For instance I live in a rural area which does not really have a local paper so I sometimes buy a Sunday paper sold locally but printed in the nearest big city which is in the same state but 90 miles away. I pay 50 cents more than the price printed on the paper for this "privilege". No doubling of coupons in this area either. I used to use a lot of coupons but now they are mostly for things I never use or you have to buy 2 or sometimes 3 of the item in order to use the coupon. I really don't need more than 1 of most of these things, so I rarely use the coupons anymore. I still look for things on sale & shop place like Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar or Ollie's. Also I save sometimes by checking out E-Bay & more especially Amazon. Com. A great site for books is Half.com . New or like new books for less than $5.00

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Michael P
Star Contributor

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  09:41:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always use my PayPal debit card for any expenditure I make. The only exception is my rent. Every other regular bill I pay, expense, or purchase I make using the card.

Their cashback program gives me 1 1/2% rebate immediately, and pays interest on my balance. The only drawback is the time it takes to transfer money from my bank to PayPal.

I have been using it for 4 years now, and my cashback has been a significant amount.

Michael P
Go to Top of Page

Wendy G
Star Contributor

Park Ridge, IL
USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  10:43:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We also go to the bread outlet. They have Aunt Millie's breads and organic bread from Meijer and other sources that are typically .89 per loaf. I got a package of pita bread, organic wheat, wheat, and wheat mini bagels yesterday for less than $4 total. They also have senior discount day (51 and up). Why pay $4 per loaf when you can get it for 89 cents?? What we don't eat right away is easily frozen and thawed.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  5:34:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can a lot of money by buying really good clothes, especially, for basic items like pants, shirts, etc. that don't go out of style as soon as they comes off the rack.

You will pay a little more for the good stuff, but, it will cost you less in the long run than replacing a whole closetful of clothes every time the seasons change.

Good clothes will last longer, give you much more wear than some of the cheap clothes from Walmart, Target, etc. that come apart at the seams after the first washing.

I find that it is less stressful, too, to have a closet full of comfortable clothes. I used to hate having to go shopping every season to replace all my old clothing. Now, I don't make a special trip to fill my closet...if I happen to see a blouse, shirt, dress, etc that I want, I just get it to liven up the older stuff that is still too good to replace.

The only drawback to the clothes lasting longer is that you might embarass yourself by wearing the same dress, shirt, or whatever, too often.

I goofed up one year at our family reunion....In looking over pictures from the previous year's gathering, an Aunt looked at me, and, announced that I was wearing the exact same outfit that I had worn the year before....she made a big deal about taking up a collection, etc....just good-natured ribbing.

From then on, I have tried to be sure I didn't wear the same thing to the same event two times in a row.

This is a big money-saver; and, I realize it won't appeal to some of you younger women who go for the latest fads each year. But, for some of you, it might be just what you are looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Gayle0

East Amherst, NY
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  6:59:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Find different ways to wear the same clothes, one or two new basics help alot. Red Box movies only cost a dollar.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  1:36:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our electric company doesn't offer the budget or time plans (I checked). What they DO offer, however, is a refrigerator/freezer turn-in program. They'll come and PICK UP an old frig or freezer (it has to be working) and give you $30 credit. Plus, they give you a $100 credit on your account when your buy an energy saving appliance.

We buy clothes by the bag or by the pound. The biggest thrift shop in the area has a bin of clothes. Clothes that come in with other things (like estate sale leftovers or inside dressers) go to the bin rather than the store. It's an efficiency thing, they say. I have picked up near new, name brand things for $1/bag. We RARELY buy new clothes, period. Because we've always done it, my 4 teens think it's a waste of money to buy new :-D.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  1:41:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I tossed out my newly purchased Epson printer and bought a Kodak. The Kodak ink is $10 for black and $15 for a color cartridge. Walmart now carries the printer and the ink. When I bought mine, I had to order the printer and ink online because no stores carried the Kodak.

The ink for the Epson printer is very expensive and mine had four cartridges. If one cartridge ran out, you couldn't print at all. When I would replace the one cartridge, I had trouble with the printer not wanting to "recognize" the other cartridges. Sometimes I would need to replace them also before they were empty. You cannot refill the Epson cartridges and the ones that I could find that were "refilled" didn't last long and I had trouble with them. The Epson was costing me a fortune.

My Kodak is so economical. I get 250 copies from each black cartridge. So, buying the Kodak printer was a big money saver.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  09:41:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's something you won't find in Reader's Digest: Re-use facial tissues and napkins as toilet paper.

Kleenex (or whatever brand) once dried, and paper dinner napkins, if not too soiled, can be easily transferred to the bathroom to be used for other bodily functions. Yeah, snot is gross but so is #2, so why not make the most of the paper you have? It saves money and cuts the strain on the environment. Sorry, Axmen!

My kids think I'm crazy. I don't impose this on them but I have no problem re-using one disgusting piece of paper for another disgusting function.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  5:49:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but the thought of wiping a used Kleenex on sensitive tissues disgusts me. Seems there is a very real possibility of causing an infection where you just don't want one.

Keep in mind, pink eye is caused by getting mucous from your nose in your eye--generally by not washing hands after wiping noses. Doesn't have to be from another person. The nose is designed to keep germs from getting into your body. I'd rather not introduce those germs into another part of the body.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  07:35:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I used to wear hose all the time, I would try to buy the same brand and colors of hose so that if I got a run in one of them, I would have others to match up with the good hose. Even if I had hose of slightly different colors I could boil the hose in salt water and they would all turn the same color. I used to do this for my mother about once a year. She would have a big drawer of hose. I would check each one for runs or snags and keep the good ones. Then I would boil them and make matched sets for her. She would end up with a lot of pairs.

When pantyhose came into fashion, it irritated me when I would ruin one of the legs and the other one was still good. I was throwing away pantyhose. Then I started just cutting off the leg that had the run, keeping the panty part with the good leg. I can wear two of these at a time. I have a double panty but I didn't care. It wasn't something that showed. It saved me a ton of money.

I also save my old pantyhose to use to tie up my vegetable vines. It works great without harming the stems of the tomatoes or cucumbers, etc.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums