Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Feedback Requested: Home Design Alternatives (HDA)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  2:05:59 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just checked my homepage & my Michael's visits have been cut. They are going to be by sales volume as well. Being in a tiny little town in Vermont who knows how often that will be!

Are they going to hold the books/magazines until I come in? Or is someone going to put them up on the visits I'm not there?

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle M

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  2:27:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Remember when they cut our pay in Michaels...Well I finally gave notice because it was a no win situation. I could never get everything completed. I gave them 7 weeks notice and they finally hired someone before I left and then I found out they paid her 1.00 more to do the very same job.I am sorry I wasted my time on this company.
Go to Top of Page

Dawnann

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  06:51:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm giving notice as well but can't hang in there as long as you did. I can do two more weeks and that's it.

It's the hourly cut in Michael's but also the fact that now Toys R Us has to be scheduled and then that schedule has to be stuck to since theyll be telling the stores when we're due to come in so they can process the returns. Wouldn't it just be easier to leave the return with the store, then have them do it during the week and give it to us the next time we come in? I've been basically having to do that anyway because it's hard to pin down the processor during my one hour visit.

Because I work for several companies, I need more flexibility in case other jobs run over the time I expect to do them, or weather is bad, etc. It's just not worth the trouble anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  4:42:03 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well now I have my weekly visit back but my time is cut in half. Supposedly the hours allowed will vary depending on the size of the shipment.

That's going to make it tough for me to schedule my week never knowing if it is going to be 2 hours or 4 or none.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

SherryJean
Contributor

New Market, TN
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  12:22:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's going to be hard on most of us because we often schedule other work dependent upon hours. I noticed Gayle M. said she could never get things completed when they cut hours last time. I thought that that was just me and I was slow or something. Because in my two larger stores I had problems completeing task in the allotted time. Did anyone else have this problem? I am going to try to hang in there with them and do the best I can but I'm afraid they are going to go down some on my list of priorities.

Sherry Jean
ADDICTED TO MERCHANDISING
Go to Top of Page

DonnaShopsSC
Contributor

Columbia, MO
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  4:19:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know how HDA will retain any good merchandisers with all these cutbacks. How are you suppose to do a good job or even get the job done when there is not sufficient time to do it all?
I got my Michaels cut last week and now 1 of my Lowes this week.
Michaels is hard to get done in 2 hours and now they expect 2 weeks done in 3 hours. How is that even possible? I am really fast but this is ridiculous!
Do they even understand that there would be no business without the merchandisers putting the books and mags out there?
I'm wondering what their next step is going to be.
I'm glad I do not rely on this job as my main job but I do understand the frustration with trying to schedule other jobs around this one because I have the same problem.
I guess I will just deal with it and hope it improves.
Good Luck to you all!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle M

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  4:52:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think its just the economy. Our hours are based on sales. If there are no sales, that is less money going to the merchandising companies and they start cutting hours. I think things are going to get really tough soon.
Go to Top of Page

SherryJean
Contributor

New Market, TN
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  01:02:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I understand the economy is bad and they have to do what they have to do but there is no way I can do two shipments in the amount of time they give you to do one. I have to hurry fast enough just to get done with one. I wonder if they are going to reduce the amount of product because I was in my store today that I'm not suppose to be in next week and more product came in. If so, some of my store people are going to be upset about having product sit for two weeks.

Sherry Jean
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  06:40:07 AM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I spoke to the manager when I went in yesterday and told her that my hours had been cut for servicing her store. I was told by my DM that each store had been notified that this was happening but the store manager at my store knew nothing about it.

I just explained to her that I would do as much as possible for her in the hours that I was there. The book captain should be moving product off your book cart as space allows. I don't have a book captain in my store so I'm out of luck but some of you may.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page

Bert M
Contributor

Sharpsburg, MD
USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  09:27:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was a Creative homeowner rep who was hired the beginning of January by HDA, was trained for one day. The following week, my trainer never showed up at the mutually agreed day, time and store. No phone call or email. Spent 2 hours or so trying to muddle thru at Michaels before giving up. Apparently the store complained that I did not get much done, upon which, I was fired. After one day. Of course I was told that there were a bunch of complaints about me, but I was only in that one store that week. After reading what has been going on with a lot of you, I think that they did me a huge favor, even though I offered my services on the reset team for Lowes.
I am of the thought that maybe HDA has bitten off more than they can handle and are starting to figure that out.
Roberta

Roberta
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca_in GA
Apprentice

CAL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  2:35:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bert, Your DM probably used the ‘complaint’ factor as an excuse to let you go. And of course DMs are people and not every person is honest or dependable; and sometimes people would rather shift the blame than admit their own mistakes.

I've been with this company for over 5 years, and they have always cut-cut-cut, different things at different times. I'm sure the present economy factors into the reasons for the recent cuts, but cuts are not new to this company.

cici
Go to Top of Page

Bert M
Contributor

Sharpsburg, MD
USA
75 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  4:18:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rebecca
I was with CHP and drawing almost a full time salary, and when things got hectic,-7 resets in 2 weeks- I gradually let go of most of my other positions, so I am still in the rebuilding phase.
No my DM did not even have the class to call me herself, keep in mind, I had not even met the woman in person. I had only worked 1.5 days for these folks, and was still training. Nope, I just get an email from the mid-atlantic regional manager about all these "complaints" and all of my replies to her email were ignored, I was just told that the stores would not allow me back in the door. So now I am confused, as I am still a merchandiser, and have to have access to all retail chains. I have been in retail for 25 years, merchandising the last 15, and have never had this happen before. Maybe my merchandising days are over. I am too old to be treated like crap.
Roberta

Roberta
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  4:27:54 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never had a problem with HDA. They are a good company to work for so far for me. I just do our Michaels store. Yes, the hours have been cut & no my shipments haven't decreased yet but I just do the best I can do. I like my DM & the DM that is covering for her since she is on maternity leave.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca_in GA
Apprentice

CAL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  04:15:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bert, don't throw in the towel just yet. First "who" told you that the stores wouldn't allow you back in? It might not be the truth. Second, if indeed it was something that the store said, it only applies to that particular job. So, don't let this experience discourage you. Lift your head up and go on. You have a lot to offer. You have years of experience and employers value that...besides there is life beyond Michael's.

cici
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  4:08:41 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone else seeing a continued decline in hours for HDA? I am starting to have a problem getting all the work done they expect me to get done. I have no book captain so no one does anything while I am not there. I do visit each week but I get one hour and 55 minutes to do everything - magazines, books & whatever extra jobs or BIMF exists for that week.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page

SherryJean
Contributor

New Market, TN
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  11:04:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Seems like the hours are picking up a little bit now.

Sherry Jean
Go to Top of Page

KimberA

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  2:44:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else currently working HDA? Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issues as I am.

I have Michaels, Lowes and Toys R Us accounts. The work is easy and fun but the time constraints are inexecutable.

I'm very efficient when it comes to keeping within my time limits but it's virtually impossible for one person to do a 5 shelf 30ft book run, multiple end caps, box up returns, put up all new signage, key in, print out and relabel everything and then do an on hand inventory in 8 hours and 15 minutes.

Does anyone think this is remotely possible?

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

NancyMorgan
Apprentice

Garland, TX
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:09:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also have the same problem. I had to do 3 Lowe's resets in one week. Then you have to skip the next week and when I went back to my Lowe's I had 2 buggies full of books and only got 2 1/2 hrs. to complete it in. I've been with them for over a year now but I'm not sure how much longer I'll last. I can't work for free.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:55:37 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been with them for about a year. Their time estimates can be a bit on the low side. When I have problems, I have contacted my DM and several times have been allowed more time. Can't hurt to ask.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page

KimberA

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  08:42:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NMorgan

I also have the same problem. I had to do 3 Lowe's resets in one week. Then you have to skip the next week and when I went back to my Lowe's I had 2 buggies full of books and only got 2 1/2 hrs. to complete it in. I've been with them for over a year now but I'm not sure how much longer I'll last. I can't work for free.

The same exact thing happened to me with my LO stores, NMorgan. When I went back, I couldn't believe how many flats of books (not to mention the magazines) I had.

By the end of my first reset I knew I was in for trouble. Two people in 4 hours was not achievable so one person in eight was virtually impossible

In all my accounts I'm consistently coming up short by at least 30 minutes. It's just not possible to get all work done in the time frames given to us.

It's a hit or miss when it comes to the DM giving extra time. I've had to ask three times and was turned down twice. Now I don't even ask. I just do what I can and write in the report that I ran out of time.

Those folks sitting in their ivory tower need to get out into the field and get a taste of reality.

BTW, if anyone needs merchandising experience, likes working up a sweat and sometimes working for free, they are in the process of hiring.

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums