Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Feedback Requested: Home Design Alternatives (HDA)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

SusanSG
Contributor

AL
USA
54 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  1:10:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does HDA have a dress code? I wonder about this every time I'm working a store the same time as this one HDA rep. I think, it must be nice to go to work wearing shorties and flip flops, especially on hot days. This is usually followed by me thinking that if my boyfriend were going to come to work with me, he'd be doing some work and not merely following me around like a dumb pet.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

AmyLH

TX
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  2:46:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a ton of "surge work" all over the place. I don't think that they send anyone out further than 30 miles from home. As with any job, there is sometimes last minute coverage needed for emergencies. Stick with it because you never know what will come up.

quote:
Originally posted by April2013

Now I'm down as a "delayed" employee, meaning that if there is no store in my area that needs a permanent rep, I would fill in for people or do the occasional job. I hope something works out for this because I'm not being called at 6am to fill in for someone 50 miles away that didn't show up for their assignment.

Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  7:05:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SusanSG

Does HDA have a dress code? I wonder about this every time I'm working a store the same time as this one HDA rep. I think, it must be nice to go to work wearing shorties and flip flops, especially on hot days. This is usually followed by me thinking that if my boyfriend were going to come to work with me, he'd be doing some work and not merely following me around like a dumb pet.

No open-toed shoes (this is for safety reasons and all merchandising companies that have a written policy in place have this rule) and no cuttoff shorts, only khaki style pants or shorts ... no nylon shorts, excercise shorts or sweat pants. Shorts must be no shorter than 3 inches above knee. No mention of type of shirt to wear, but must cover whole torso including belly and must wear lowes vendor vest inside lowes stores.

As far as bringing family members or friends, including children for which you cannot find a babysitter (whether they help you or not)...this is striclty forbidden. This is mainly a worker's compensation issue both on behalf of the company you work for and the stores. Again, any merchandising company that has a written policy in place will have this restriction. I work for several companies and they all have this same rule. Only others employed by the company are allowed to accompany you in the store you when you are on duty...even if all they do is stand there and watch you.

You can find this an all other HDA policies in the HDA employee handbook found in the resource center in the NI portal.
Go to Top of Page

BrendaFromTexas
Trainee

Fort Worth, TX
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  05:23:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very Same thing here. HDA hired me back a couple or more months ago to work a new chain of stores that they had just received a new contract for...I never ever heard from them again, so I CALLED the company itself. I informed them, nicely, that I had turned down a couple other jobs because I had been hired for this one and now I am not hearing anything from them...I did not feel this was good practice on their part...the lady I talked with agreed with me. I then contaccted Rick Hanson, and HE told me the contract had fell through, they did not get it. I asked, why was I not notified? He stated that I had been hired and just to sit tight...LMAO! I guess while I'm STILL sitting tight he can pay some of my bills. This is just wrong on several levels. Merchandiser beware!

Shopping Fort Worth and All Surrounding Areas
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  1:21:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrendaFromTexas

Very Same thing here. HDA hired me back a couple or more months ago to work a new chain of stores that they had just received a new contract for...I never ever heard from them again, so I CALLED the company itself. I informed them, nicely, that I had turned down a couple other jobs because I had been hired for this one and now I am not hearing anything from them...I did not feel this was good practice on their part...the lady I talked with agreed with me. I then contaccted Rick Hanson, and HE told me the contract had fell through, they did not get it. I asked, why was I not notified? He stated that I had been hired and just to sit tight...LMAO! I guess while I'm STILL sitting tight he can pay some of my bills. This is just wrong on several levels. Merchandiser beware!

This is the merchandising industry and it will never change. COntracts get sold, get dropped, or are never won at all. If you are looking for stable work, retail is not the place to be anymore, and that includes 3rd party retail services like merchandising becuse since it is retail, it is suseptible to not only the ebb and flow of retail, but also the instability of contracts in this business.

Merchandising is really only for people who do not need or want stable work and stable paychecks like some retires, people on govt assistance, stay at home moms who already have a decent income from their spouse but could use a little extra if available (of not, that's ok too). Bottom line, this is not a career or a job. It has become no better than geting paid pennies to take surveys online. Really.

HDA has gotten considereably worse in the past few months as they are expanding and competing for ASM overflow projects with all the other small, overflow, 4th party merch companies. The DMs are so overloaded at this point that it makes their job very impossible and everyone is suffering. They don't really have the felxible labor pool to really take on these contracts but they are pretending they do and they even recently changed their Drive Time from regular wage to only $9.00/hour in order to "stay competitive". HDA has become yet another merchandising copmany to consider leaving and it is only going to get worse. Mark my words, those of us who got hired to do specific continuity routes every week will soon be terminated if we cannot be flexible and pickup these new overflow projects. They will replace us with folks that can. But the new reps will be screwed when they are told they have X amount of work and then a month or 2 down the road they lose contracts. That's 3rd party retail services for ya. This is the next thing coming down the pike, it's just a matter of time.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

BrendaFromTexas
Trainee

Fort Worth, TX
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  3:15:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never post alot on here, but I have been merchandising for about 10 years off and on for various companies...I have just never had one hire me as "Delayed Employment". But I guess your right, that's what merchandising jobs are heading toward. It's a shame too, because they are sure losing some good, qualified, dependable merchandisers.

Shopping Fort Worth and All Surrounding Areas
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  6:20:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrendaFromTexas

I never post alot on here, but I have been merchandising for about 10 years off and on for various companies...I have just never had one hire me as "Delayed Employment".

Over half of the companies that I have applied to and/or got hired on with in the past couple years told me they had all this work then when I got hired, I was left with my you know what in my hands.

Problem is, these companies have to show their prospective clients that thye have an adequately staffed surge labor pool to accomodate their needs. If they can't prove to the client that they have an adequate surge labor pool, they will not get the contract. So they hire in advance, but they end up losing the contract because they didn't get enough laborers or for some other reason, then you are left with no work until they finally find a contract they can win. But it is an never ending process with hiriing surger laborers - they simply keep moving on because they can't wait and be screwed around with like that. The way this industry "works" is truly sad.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  5:42:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
HDA is on Narms, advertising all over PA. Mostly in towns two or three miles apart. It is painfully obvious for Dollar stores. They are advertising for a dollar store that wont be open for a couple of months. Don't they have anyone in logistics, or would that cost some money for a skilled employee?
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2013 :  7:41:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert A. Miller

HDA is on Narms, advertising all over PA. Mostly in towns two or three miles apart. It is painfully obvious for Dollar stores. They are advertising for a dollar store that wont be open for a couple of months. Don't they have anyone in logistics, or would that cost some money for a skilled employee?

Yes, HDA is currently (frantically) looking to hire reps to do DG stores for books. Most of their current reps don't want to do them because they suck. HDA services them every 3 months and the stores don't recover the books at all (well, not all of them, but most of them) in between HDA visits. WHen they stock new shipments, they just obviously put the titles wherever they find room. When you service the store, it is an utter mess like you've never seen before. Then, they have the audacity to complain when you go in about HDA only servicing the books every 3 months instead of every month, like as if that is HDA's problem. HDA only services stores at the interval tha tthe client (in this case DG) wants to pay and the client decided to save money and only have HDA service every 3 months as opposed to every month as they used to. Not worth the money or the aggravation. Only the stores that have mentally and physically organized managers are OK to work in. These are few and far between.
Go to Top of Page

DATurner90
Apprentice

Bourbonnais, IL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  1:15:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, new here.

I just got an e-mail listing a bunch of open stores that HDA has available to merchandise. How often do these come along? I ask because there aren't any in my immediate area. I find this strange as I live in a town with over 50,000 people and most of the chains they represent are in this town as well.

David
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  8:04:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone work them is So. California??? They are advertising all over Narms here, but we have no Dollar General stores so I have no clue what accounts or the types of merchandising it might be.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  8:31:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Sue

Does anyone work them is So. California??? They are advertising all over Narms here, but we have no Dollar General stores so I have no clue what accounts or the types of merchandising it might be.

Lowes - Magazines & Books
Michaels - Magazines
Tractor Supply -Books
They also do other stores like Menards, JoAnn, Miriam Heath...but I don't know exactly what they do in them, but whatever it is it is most likely books, mags, and maybe greeting cards in Miriam Heath.

In DG, they service the books.

They have also picked up run-off Advantage Sales and Marketing jobs in Walmarts which could be anything from candy to cleaning supplies packouts and display building.

They also have other divisions I heard about, like data collection. But not in my area. They may do other things elsewhere.

I know mags and books are heavy, but the volume is low. Were not talking the totes upon totes that source interlink ships and services in Walmarts and grocery stores. Were only talking about a few small boxes or even just one box.

If I were you I would apply and take the job if offered. If you don't like it, quit. No biggie.

All in all, it is one of the better companies I have worked for. However, YMMV because any job is only as tolerable as your DM/supervisor is. I think the pay is fair, too. They pay me over 10. They do have flat rate projects but I find they give you more than enough time. But they are moving away from flat rate altogether.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  8:38:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Larry. How's your job search going? I hate looking for work yet again. It's just a cycle that keeps repeating itself.
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  1:56:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have the Lowes' gig once a week and it's easy easy. I get 1 box of mags and 1 box of books each week. The company has great step by step training videos and the reporting system is the easiest to use that I have come across. The pay is decent and occasionally I get other jobs from them like DG and a couple of audit jobs in WM. I was working for 4 companies and wanted to cut back because I was working everyday of the week and I simply just didn't want to do that. I quit a highly stressful job in July and I only want to work P/T so I decided to keep my best 2 and HDA was one of them. I agree with Larry if something comes up grab it.

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page

Gene Grubbs
Contributor

Illinois
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  5:41:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What is typically the time alloted for a Lowe's or TSC visit? Or the Dollar Stores?

Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  5:14:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dg is usually 45-60 minutes. I filled in at TS and it was about an hour. I like this company.
Go to Top of Page

DATurner90
Apprentice

Bourbonnais, IL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  7:10:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did HDA post new jobs today? I got an e-mail about a week ago and was told they should have new jobs posted today, but I'm not seeing anything.

David
Go to Top of Page

Dawn5515
Contributor

Zachary, Louisiana
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  1:45:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, just got an email saying several DM's have been eliminated including mine and we will continue to work and get paid. New investors.

Dawn
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising
Store Audits & Recalls
Mystery Shopping
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  1:55:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, this concerns me. No DMs were listed in my email so not sure if my DM was canned. My DMs name is still listed in my profile on NI.

However this part of the email concerns me the most...

"I can assure you that you will be paid for any work you have completed and any work that you do in the future."

Uuuuuh, why should I think that I was NOT going to be paid or continue to be paid???? For HDA to say that, makes me believe that there is a possibility that we may not be paid. Not sayin', just sayin'.

Also, it was stated that we must accept any and all work that gets posted to our portal. I guess that means that my employment with HDA will be over soon because I cannot pickup any projects from them other than the regular weekly work. Oh well, no biggie. Was good while it lasted. But to be honest, as HDA gets larger and continues to compete for "run-off" ASM work and such, they will start to become a crappy company just like the rest. That's they way it always works. In order to compete, you have to "do as the Romans do",
Go to Top of Page

Gene Grubbs
Contributor

Illinois
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  3:01:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wondering if my time with HDA will be over before it starts...Just finishing the new hire process, but wondering if it'll go anywhere.

First thing I've ever been hired for a merchandising gig without a single contact beyond email. Generally had a phone or in person interview with every other one.

The whole process has seemed to be sort of a robo-hire....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums