Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Cath
Star Contributor

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  5:18:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kelly, Based on my extensive experience with that firm and many of their clients, I would say No, you won't have time to be out of the hotel to do other work. Too many of the interactions have to be performed at specific times and there are other requirements that are very time dependent.
Go to Top of Page

Jen Ohio
Star Contributor

North Olmsted, Ohio
USA
285 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  8:22:48 PM  Send Jen Ohio an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I applied to this company about 6 months ago and have never heard anything. Do they usuallu notify you if you are approved as a shopper or only if there is an assignment in your area?

Finally Silver Certified!!
Shopping Northeast Ohio Full Time
Go to Top of Page

Rachel M
Contributor

MI
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:19:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After recently completing my first assignment, I have to agree that the schedulers are very pleasant and helpful. I scored an 18 on my bar/lounge evaluation, and if not for two silly omissions on my part, I would have "Aced" my first Coyle job!

JenOhio, you will receive an email invitation if your application is accepted. I initially applied with CHG in fall 2006 without hearing back - but after I learned of this forum, carefully read all posts in this thread, and re-applied in February and was accepted within days. (My circumstances had also changed somewhat, I can see why my first application didn't meet their needs now that I think about it.)
Go to Top of Page

GloriaGtz
Trainee

Houston, TX
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  08:16:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In what area of my coyle profile can I verify my paypal address on file? I did a shop last month and still have not gotten paid for it. Just wondering....

Gloria
Gold Shopper 2007
Go to Top of Page

JodiLed
Trainee

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  12:40:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was also wondering about payment for my April evaluations. I have e mailed the company twice already. The website says payments will be made by Paypal on the 25th. It is now the 29th and I have not received payment. The website says payment will be made to the e mail address that they correspond to you with. I have double checked that and also have not gotten any responses to my emails. Is anyone else having similar problems??

Jodi
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
266 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  4:02:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wish they would reimburse the restaurant charges within a few days after the evaluation. Right now they send the reimbursement along with the pay for the job, which is on the 25th of the month following the shop. As an example, if you have a dinner shop on April 3, you will receive compensation and reimbursement on May 25--nearly 2 months after the shop (52 days). If you charge the cost of the meal to a credit card, you will not receive your reimbursement before the bill is due, leading to finance charges. Don't forget, a dinner, dessert, and drinks for two people at the upscale restaurants that are their clients can easily cost a whopping $200+.

Also, if they could make a comprehensive FAQ covering basic things like when payments are made, when reimbursements are made, maximum reimbursement amounts for dinner for two (with and without a bar evaluation), when reports are due, etc, it would go a long way to reassure some of us. Right now, it is very hard to find this information on their shopper site. Just my .

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

ChadFL

West Palm Beach, Florida
USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  4:22:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
CHG is in line with all other MSP's I have found with regard to payment for fine dining shops. I choose not to put these charges on my credit card to avoid finance charges. I am glad that CHG's hotel evaluations are on a much different (and much more timely) reimbursement structure. ;)

Chad
MSPA Silver Certified (0kxroc)
Evaluating Hotels, Restaurants, and Retail Stores in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and the Palm Beaches
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:12:42 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was not aware that the hotel shops had a different payment schedule. I am more likely to accept them now. I sometimes put the restaurants on my credit card as it is a small price for me to pay for an expensive great meal.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

MargMA

MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  8:30:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mazie, the hotel shops don't have a different pay schedule. The difference is that the hotel reverses all the hotel charges a few days after your report is accepted, which is typically two weeks from check out or so. The evaluator fees and travel expenses (the stuff not on your hotel bill) come to you on the 25th of the month after the month in which you performed the evaluation.

Also, as someone who has done many CHG hotel evaluations, I would caution anyone who wants to take on an evaluation thinking they will have free time. I am usually able to find three or four hours of time to be away from the hotel, but not always. Some evaluations are so packed that getting away even for two hours is difficult. I usually find myself leaving the hotel to be away from the room while housekeeping does their thing, but I am off elsewhere with my laptop working on the report.

I enjoy working for CHG because I enjoy traveling. I love airports and being in "strange" cities. Working with CHG has taught me more about the hospitality industry than I ever imagined knowing, and I find it interesting. I enjoy discovering people being good at what they do, and I always hope that my observations on things that need improvement will belp the next guest. As another poster observed, CHG properties are often high end. I've certainly stayed at places I would not likely have tried without being a shopper. One hotel room I stayed in had original Robert Maplethorpe photographs of flowers on the wall , and a matching real flower that matched the photograph in a vase in front of the photograph. You don't find that at the local Best Western.

*** MSPA Gold Certified ***
** "I shop the planet" **
Go to Top of Page

Karen in IL
Valued Contributor

Kankakee, IL
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  10:55:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MargMA

One hotel room I stayed in had original Robert Maplethorpe photographs of flowers on the wall , and a matching real flower that matched the photograph in a vase in front of the photograph. You don't find that at the local Best Western.
How cool is that!

I'm glad they were his flower photos, and not some of the other ones he did!

karen

Gold Certified
Shopping Kankakee and surrounding counties
Go to Top of Page

CarolSue

San Jose, CA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  12:25:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that they screen the applications and choose the ones whose writing style, among other things, match their specifications.

I've done some restaurant reviews for other companies and none of them come close to what Coyle requires of you - both in content and writing ability. By the way, this is not a criticism at all. I enjoyed the challenge of these shops and appreciate all of the help they have given me. They are very responsive to questions and very thorough on their reviews.

Carol Sue
Go to Top of Page

Carol C
Star Contributor

Washington, DC
USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  1:30:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jen, I know that Coyle tends not to pick evaluators who do not live in an area in which it has evaluations. The theory is that they want your first evaluation to be close to home, so that they will not have to pay travel expenses in order to see how well you will do at it. If you live away from a major urban center, but travel frequently, it may be worth noting this in your application or sending them an e-mail.

Washington, DC-area Gold Certified #cr5xij
MSPA Rookie Shopper of the Year 2007
Go to Top of Page

Rachel M
Contributor

MI
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  09:46:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carol C

Jen, I know that Coyle tends not to pick evaluators who do not live in an area in which it has evaluations.

Did you mean this as far as picking evaluators for particular assignments, or picking applicants to become evaluators?
Go to Top of Page

Carol C
Star Contributor

Washington, DC
USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  5:17:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rachel, this applies to picking applicants to become evaluators. Once you are an evaluator and have performed at least one shop for them, you can pick assignments in any area. However, they want you to perform at least one shop in your home area before they will send you on a shop that requires travel. If you are in an area that has no shops available, they may therefore not accept you as an evaluator.

Go to Top of Page

Rachel M
Contributor

MI
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  7:07:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to clarify. I became an evaluator for Coyle although it looks as if my state (let alone city or metro area) only sees roughly two shops per year.

My first assignment for CHG was completed in NYC, although I am a Michigan resident. The application does include information on travel frequency, and there may be preference shown there - which suggests (at least, to me) that one's home address wouldn't really weigh heavily if this is the case.

Evaluators are free to request assignments in any area, from my understanding. Of course, there are a number of factors that will affect who is chosen for each, with prior performance being fairly significant.
Go to Top of Page

BekkiCat
Star Contributor

Charlotte, NC
USA
295 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  10:53:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished my first evaluation for Coyle. As stated in their policy, they require a restaurant evaluation before allowing you to evaluate hotels or spas. The review was one of the most intense I have ever done but the meal was superb. The reviewer told me that I did well on a first review. I had 4 points (I guess out of 20 points??) taken off for some various questions I did not fully explain. (I actually was told that I over-explained [not the exact quote but that was the gist--LOL] which is criticism I will take any day!) Is there anyone who could give me feedback on my feedback if possible? I really stressed on this first assignment!

Bekki
Gold-certified
Undercover Essentials video-certified
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  02:46:39 AM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
There should be a link in the feedback email that you can look at your finished report with notes from the editor. As long as you do the things asked for on your next report you should be fine. I often reference the reporting guidelines while I am doing my report to make sure I am phrasing things the way they would like.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

Carol C
Star Contributor

Washington, DC
USA
436 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  07:59:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bekkicat, if you log in to the site, you will see your completed assignment, and the score will be a link to the full evaluation. For every point you missed, there will be an explanation of why. The only thing is, it is often so far to the right that it is off the screen, so you may have to scroll over to it. However, reviewing the reason for each point removed can be very useful for your next evaluation.

Go to Top of Page

CherieN
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
248 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  08:54:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone else. Try the resource centers, they should be of help.
Go to Top of Page

JillL
Contributor

FL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  06:34:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did my second evaluation with them a couple of months ago. The editor did not give me specific examples backing up the deduction of points. I emailed Coyle and requested an explanation -how can I avoid these problems in the future, if I don't really know what I did wrong? Although no one got back to me via e-mail (which I found annoying) several days later I went back and looked at the message on the report from the editor and there was more information.

How long did your first report take????

(I need a palm tree for south Florida!)

Jill
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums