Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

K.Willingham
Star Contributor

Mobile, Alabama
USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  04:50:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What Generic Brand or items do you buy? And if it's a store brand what store?

Kathryn
Silver Certified

TifphanyM
Valued Contributor

Memphis, TN
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  06:02:45 AM  Visit TifphanyM's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love to buy Kroger's Big K drinks. Sometimes you can get a 12-pack for 3/$5 or 2-litres 2/$1. My mom even says the diet Big K's tast OK. The only flavor of Big K's that I don't buy is the cola - I'm too addicted to Pepsi for that

Tiffany
MSPA Silver Certified #msn5ju
"What we see depends mainly upon what we look for."
Go to Top of Page

CherylW
Valued Contributor

Riverview, FL
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  09:54:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I shop Super Walmart and a lot of their brand name items are okay. The only thing I haven't liked is the cookies. I also purchase drug store brand of any over the counter medication-usually CVS. There are certain things that I just will not compromise on-Heinz ketchup, Hellmanns Mayo, Bounty paper towels, and maybe a few others.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  11:03:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Almost all of the “over the counter” medication I buy is generic. I just check the label and if it contains the same ingredients as the name brand, I buy it!
I agree with Cheryl in that no paper towel can replace Bounty.
At times I will buy a store brand of tissues and cereal, but that is about it.
I have never bought any sodas other than Stewarts and Pepsi.

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  11:09:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like most of WalMart's own brands, especially items like ibuprofen, mouthwash, cold or allergy formulas, cereal, reduced-sugar cranberry juice, and trash bags.Like Cheryl, I don't care for their cookies or crackers or ketchup. If you have an Aldi's nearby, check it out; most brands carried are their own, but of very-good quality.
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:17:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like to buy store brands of many staple items like rice, flour, sugar, cooking oil, pasta, etc. I don't perceive a difference, and I'll use any store brand for those. For some products, what brand I buy depends on what I'll be using it for. For example, if I'm going to use the cream of chicken soup in a casserole, I don't mind the store brand because I will be mixing in other seasonings to cover any lack of flavor anyway. If I'm going to eat it as soup, Campbell's tastes much better. For spaghetti sauce, I like Prego best straight from the jar, but I'll buy the cheap stuff and spice it up myself sometimes too.

I like Walmart's Sam's Choice or Equate brands for a lot of things: medications, food-storage bags, dryer sheets, vaccuum bags, baby wipes. I'm not generally too loyal to a brand, but there are a few. There is NO ketchup besides Heinz. (I once knew a lady who refused to eat any mustard but French's. I don't taste a difference in mustards myself.) For laundry and dishwasher detergent, name brands are the way to go though I'm willing to use several different brands.

When we had kids in diapers, I found I liked a particular store brand even better than the expensive Huggies and Pampers. We originally discovered it at Albertson's but realized after awhile that the same diapers were sold as Safeway's store brand and at several other stores as their store brand as well. You could tell they were the same because some of the graphics on the package were identical and the pictures on the diapers themselves were the same as well. So we just watched all the stores that carried them for sales and were often able to get great deals this way. If the same diaper is sold as the store brand in several different stores, I would guess that many other products are sold this way as well. So the store brand soup you are buying at Fred Meyer's could be the same stuff you get at Hy-Vee (just as a theoretical example, haven't compared them myself!).
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  8:03:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm one of those who buys the store brand OTC drugs, from whatever store.

When I lived in Philly years ago, the Acme supermarkets had a generic brand of tuna fish that I adored. The can was white with black lettering, very plain. Then they stopped carrying it.

I'm another one who thinks Heinz is the only possible ketchup.

Go to Top of Page

Christina WNY
Inactive

Buffalo, NY
USA
305 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  10:01:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ditto on the Heinz!

Usually, I buy generics. If I find I don't like the product, I'll switch to the name brand. Some examples are: Hellmann's mayonaisse, Heinz ketchup, Dove bar soap, and Coffeemate powdered creamer. It's funny... the only cottage cheese I like is Wegman's (grocery store) brand. I don't care for the name brands.

Aldi and Save-a-lot are great stores to visit. Aldi carries their own brand of chocolate that is excellent! I buy all the staples at Aldi or Save-a-lot, like flour, sugar, milk, eggs, canola oil, cooking spray and pasta. If you have them in your area, check them out!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  12:03:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Safeway brand Five Cheese Garlic Bread is better than Claimjumper. Also, if you like Dr. Pepper or Mr. Pibb, Safeway has Skipper, way better than the other two brands.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Shuree
Star Contributor

Chesterfield, MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  1:20:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always buy the store brand (usually Target) of Listerine. Is tastes just as awful as the original and also burns like crazy so it must be a good copy.
Go to Top of Page

Elsie
Star Contributor

Camuy, Puerto Rico
USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  06:24:14 AM  Visit Elsie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Many times the store brand is made by the name brand companies and sold under the store label. I went to my local supermarket (Amigo) and was watching the Blue Bunny ice cream guy stocking the store brand. I asked if they were the same thing, and the guy said yes, they manufactured the ice cream and sold it under the Amigo brand. I bought some of the ice cream, and lo and behold, it tasted like Blue Bunny! It was creamy and made with milk, not like other cheap ice creams that are made with water and become a solid block in the freezer. The same happens with many of Walmart's store brands (Walmart bought the Puerto Rican supermarket chain Amigo) which is why they taste like name brand items. But I won't give up my Bounty!

Shopping Puerto Rico! I wanna merchandise too. Help!
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  5:16:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I buy generic brand everything, from staples like flour and sugar, to things like prescription medication. If I can't find it in generic, I won't buy it. I cook from scratch mostly, so I don't buy prepackaged convenience foods anyway. A potato is a potato, eggs are eggs, and milk is milk.

I have an engineer friend who designs conveyor systems, and many of his clients are food distributors. What Elsie mentioned is true. Did you know that companies like Nabisco, Post and Campbell's are the manufacturers of the majority of the so-called generic foods? It's true. They simply stop the conveyor with the Campbell's or Nabisco label, and switch over to the "I'm Generic" label.

The only generic food that doesn't come close to the name brand is Post Grape Nuts cereal. I have to have my real Grape Nuts.
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  07:12:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've heard so many times that generic foods are the same as those manufactured by the name brands. But I have to question it.

I have rarely found a generic product to have the quality of the name brand. They usually look different (and I'm not talking about the packaging), they taste different and so on.

Has anyone found a product that seems identical to its name-brand equivalent?
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  07:25:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened to those black & white generics? Now all I see are store generics. I buy Sam's Club stuff and Target generics of just about anything. The Target ice-cream is fabulous!

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  5:29:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As far as ice cream goes, keep in mind that store brand ice cream MAY NOT be the exact same formulation as the true manufacturer's brand.

I learned this when I used to work for Dreyer's/Edy's (they make and distribute ice cream for an amazing number of companies you would never guess). Store brand ice cream typically (but not always) has a lower fat content than the brand label's formula. This is sometimes (but not always) why the store brand price is lower. Be sure to read the ingredients before deciding if the difference in price is worth it.

'Regular' ice cream doesn't have as much fat in it as 'Premium' ice cream, and 'Super Premium' ice cream has the highest fat content.

Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, Godiva, and Dreyer's Dreamery line are all 'Super Premium' ice creams. I believe Breyer's is also classified as 'Super Premium'. Most of the others are either 'Premium' or 'Regular'. It's all in the fat content, and that's what mostly drives the price.

Of course, ice cream made of ice milk is even lower in fat content, as are the low fat versions. These should be priced even lower, but that's not always the case. Fat is the most costly ingredient in ice cream, but some manufacturers may claim that separating the fat to create a lower fat version is actually more costly due to the labor involved. That might be true, and it might not, depending on how they manufacture their ice cream. It pays to be informed!

I usually don't buy ice cream unless it's on sale, and luckily Dreyer's/Edy's has sales year-round; you just have to watch for them.

Guess which state in the union eats the most ice cream per capita year-round? Florida. Guess who pays the most for their ice cream? New York and California. Those of us living in high-altitude areas are eating a completely different formula of ice cream than those of us not in high-altitude areas.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

Michelle1975
Star Contributor

Newton, NJ
USA
549 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:45:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I successfully conquered my regular soda addiction with Safeway Select carbonated flavored water. Their lemon-lime flavor beats Sprite any day of the week. Gotta watch that sugar!

Michelle
MSPA Gold 3knuvj
Go to Top of Page

JeanH

North San Diego County, CA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  09:54:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I find your ice cream info interesting, Linda. I no longer buy strorebrand ice cream because one time I bought two different flavors, had some left in the bowls, set the bowls in the kitchen sink, and guess what? The stuff would not melt! I couldn't believe the next morning the consistency of the stuff was exactly the same (we do not live in a cold climate) and wondered what the heck they could be putting in this ice cream!

Anyway, I buy lots of Kirkland brand products at Costco. The only problem is, once you get hooked on one of their products, they seem to discontinue it!

Jean Hutchins
GOLD CERTIFIED
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  10:52:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa--
to tell whether a name brand manufactures and sells under a generic label, I check the address of the manufacturer. There used to be a white label with black writing aisle at our local grocer. The Ocean Spray address was on the cranberry juice products, and it is the only non-Ocean Spray cranberry juice that I have ever tasted that I really liked.

Kimberly Clark makes Huggies. When my daughter was in diapers, Wal-Mart sold a brand that even listed the name, Kimberly Clark, as the manufacturer. It was much cheaper than Huggies and had a different picture on the front, but was the same quality.

Just compare the addresses on the labels and you can often discover who the manufacturer is.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  11:32:41 AM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Someone told me a story much like the Eddy's Icecream story. Name brand companies make products for stores with a slight modification in ingredients to make it cheaper. However, I was told that Jay's potato chips does not change the formula when it makes Jewel brand chips.

I love Kroger products. The bread tastes like butternut to me. Also the cheese is good.

I usually go generic if I can. Sometimes coupons for name brands makes it cheaper than store brands. But now that I am trying to eat healthier, it gets harder. Kraft 2% cheese slices taste so much better than Kroger's. I have to buy the Sara Lee low calorie bread. Maybe the store brands will go healthy on me.
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  12:16:12 PM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I tend to buy whatever is on sale. Many times, a name brand is on sale for as cheap as (if not lower) than the store brand. I am not too picky, except for a few things: Peanut butter HAS to be Jif, painkillers HAVE to be Advil, Mayo has to be Hellmann's, cough drops must be Halls, and dishwasher detergent has to be Cascade. Otherwise, it's usually whatever is cheapest.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine87
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  10:34:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know it's true that a lot of big name manufactor's also package store brand. I use to work at Thornapple Valley. They are based in MI. We would run the Thornapple line for a while and then the line would stop and the packaging would be switched over to Spartan brand. It would be the exact sausage or whatever product we were doing. I was surprised when I first started working there about it but it did make me consider store brands after that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums