Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

SarahH
Star Contributor

MI
USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  11:36:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our family uses the Aldi's brand food ALL THE TIME! It saves us so much its ridiculous!!! There are somethings we do not buy generic though and they include ketchup- ONLY Heinz! And mountain dew for my hubby-he's an addict!!! LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  1:42:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, SHunter, we must be distantly related! I will only buy Heinz ketchup, too, shopped at Aldi's all the time when we lived in the Midwest, and my husband is a HUGE Dew drinker. Or at least he used to be until the dentist told him it was dissolving the fillings in his teeth. He could literally finish 64 oz. a day though he tried to keep it down to 32 oz. whenever possible. Now he is drinking more Crystal Lite on the dentist's recommendation and limiting his Dew to 2 or 3 days a week. He hates it, but the $5000 worth of dental work he has scheduled convinced him that he needed to make a change.
Go to Top of Page

MechelleNga
Valued Contributor

GA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  04:05:17 AM  Visit MechelleNga's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Dollar Store, Big Lots and some of the other "" stores, offer great prices on brand and generic items.

Luckily, I am within a few blocks of Kroger, Publix, SaveRite, The Dollar Store and Big Lot. I just check out the promotions, before I map out my route.

Mechelle
Go to Top of Page

MariaGoff
Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  10:08:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband used to work for a dairy that is VERY popular on the west coast. All of the milk is exactly the same, they only change the lables. This does not apply to chocolate etc, but there is no need to spend 4.00 a gallon for Wilcox 2%, as the good day etc is the same.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Genie R
Trainee

Omaha, NE
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  04:24:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I mostly stay with store brands. Except Ranch Dressing -- Kroger brand is horrible. Our preference is Kens Steakhouse -- the price has come down recently and I often have coupons.

Go to Top of Page

Ang Harris
Valued Contributor

Maryland
USA
239 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  10:11:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Aldi's, Aldi's, Aldi's!! If they don't have it I don't want it.
Go to Top of Page

Merle

Huntsville, AL
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  10:36:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I LOVE Walmart's Great Value. Most of the stuff taste just like the national brand. I also like their equate stuff. I save a bunch to.

Shopping Huntsville and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

JenniferL

Midland, TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:22:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We use generics for just about anything. There are only a few exceptions: Dove soap, Diet Rite, Dove deodorant..... and I can't think of anything else we MUST buy on-brand for. Generics are fine by me unless I have a coupon that makes the "on brand" the same price or less than the off-brand.

Jennifer
Silver Certified: 5dhvx5
Happily shopping Midland and Odessa, TX for over 3 years!
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Robinson
Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  5:56:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Count me in on the Aldi fan club!!

Each week they are my first stop - then it's on to the higher priced stores. They have a guarantee that if you don't like the Aldi brand, you get your money back - how can you go wrong! Things are so much cheaper there, and I like many of their products better than the brand name ones - especially their brownies I'm an addict! They are soooo much better than the brand names.

I will stop my soapbox now. My family jokes that I'm the unofficial spokesperson for Aldi, but that's okay. I'm saving a ton on my groceries and not compromising quality!

Gold Certified 8/2004
Shopping St. Louis, MO and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

BCheatam
Star Contributor

IN
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  7:08:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I try to buy any OTc medicine like aspirin, cough syrup, antacid, etc, in the store brand at about 1/2 the cost. After all, your doctor prescribes a generic brand for prescription meds.
I'm in the Bounty fan club, also Kleenex, Quilted Northern t.p. and Heinz catsup. Anything else I buy store brand or what's on sale.

Silver Certified Mystery Shopper & Auditor in Central and Southern Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

.KarenShopsIL
Inactive

Decatur, IL
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  7:40:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are loyal Aldi shoppers too! They even have great prices on "one time only" buys on name brand items. I buy store brand on everything I can, but there are a few we don't compromise...ice cream has to be Edys or Breyers, peanut butter is Jif and no other, coffee is Folgers, Tide and Downy, Bounty and Charmin!

I love the "unofficial spokesman of Aldi" comment! My dad is the same way! He once gave a Pampered Chef representative all the fixings for chili from Aldi because he swears it makes the BEST chili! It worked though, she shops there now too.

Karen M
Go to Top of Page

Tweaka
Valued Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  09:17:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love Walmart brand goods. I've also fallen in love with the 99 only stores that we have here. I get almost everything thing there from Wonderbread, to potatoes, red bell peppers to gourmet spices. It's not worth it on some of the can goods but over all it's GREAT!
Go to Top of Page

Laura Harms
Contributor

DeKalb, IL
USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  1:34:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had my first ever Aldi experience last week, did a shop there. It was grocery day anyway, but I had planned to grab some soda or something at Aldi and then go on to my regular store.... well $65 later I am a brand new Aldi fan!!! I just have to remember my bags today!! I paid $0.25 for grocery bags!!

From now on the bulk of my grocery shopping will be at Aldi, although my Super Wal-Mart has bottled water with a name brand cheaper than the Aldi brand, and Aldi doesn't carry my shampoo/conditioner or my laundry detergent. Those are WM items.

Laura

Laura Powell
Independent Editor, Scheduler, Shopper
Go to Top of Page

NKsundra

Dayton, OH
USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  5:52:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Add me to the Aldi fan club. My favorite find there was the generic of Claritin, loratadine. At Aldi, they are 1.99 for 10 pills, much cheaper even than the Wal-Mart generic brand. Since my son and I are both allergy sufferers, I'm doubly happy with the money I save on this product.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Laurie P
Apprentice

Mastic, NY
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  07:59:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My kids are very picky cereal eaters. I was shocked when they all agreed that they like Pathmark brand cereals! This saves us lots of in that aisle. (They refuse to eat any other generic cereals...they hate Americas Choice!)
Go to Top of Page

StaceyPH888
Valued Contributor

Port Orange, Florida
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  11:32:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I bake my fries, and have found that Albertson's store brand is the best out there. When I started buying them, my husband asked what brand because they were soooo good (he loves fries). I have also had neighbors comment the same. I have always been told by pharmacists that the store brands of aspirin, etc. are the same.
Go to Top of Page

MariaGoff
Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  7:17:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OTC medications in generic versions are the same as name brand ones. Exactly the same. Ask your doctor if you want to hear it from a professional, but it is true. The big lables pay for the research and advertising and the generics come in later and pay only to produce it themselves. also, most things like Advil migrane, back pain, etc are the same as the plain old Advil. Same ingredients just different marketing. Again, ask your Doctor or Pharmacist, but it is true.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Roger42
Star Contributor

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  6:04:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Costco for any OTC medication and supplements. And forget about Pantiene (?) shampoo. Target brand - half the price and just as good.

Roger
Gold Certified - 15 Years Experience
Specializing In Audits
Covering Mid Atlantic and Northeast
Go to Top of Page

Traci18

IA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  7:46:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went into my first Aldi's last month. I asked the manager what the deal was with the store. He told me about the same product/different packaging thing. I then bought a package of brownie mix and mac and cheese, cause those are two things that simply have to be a brand name. Well, I made them both, and we loved them both, same as the original. So now I am a loyal Aldis shopper as well. In fact when I go in now, the manager calls me "his newest convert!"

Happily Shopping Central Iowa

Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Robinson
Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  1:26:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Traci,

Welcome to the Aldi's club! I stir a cup of chocolate chips into the brownie batter before putting them in the pan and baking. Let me tell you - I haven't tasted a better brownie than that! Yummm......maybe I'll have to go make a pan for dessert.

Gold Certified 8/2004
Shopping St. Louis, MO and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums