Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

PaulTroutz
Apprentice

Shawnee, OK
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  9:54:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some store brands are quite a bit different, some are pretty okay. I find the GV walmart tuna good along with several of their other items. My wife is REALLY picky about such things so we came up with this compromise:

Buy the store brand for the recipe mix items (like mushroom soup..tomato sauce..etc)...buy the good stuff for items you are eating basically "straight up".
Go to Top of Page

Missy1970
Star Contributor

Logan, WV
USA
425 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  10:58:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I prefer Save A Lot everything.

I don't live near one now and do most of the grocery shopping at the local family owned store, they carry brands like Our Family.

I do go to Save A Lot in the winter, so the stuff that has to stay cold will, don't trust a 40 min drive in summer.
Go to Top of Page

Misha
Star Contributor

NV
USA
827 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  2:39:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TifphanyM

I love to buy Kroger's Big K drinks.
Big K is great and I love the diet cola.

Misha
Go to Top of Page

KrisP

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  9:11:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I usually perfer the brands and with coupons they often cost less. There are two store brand items that I would always buy over the real brand.

1) I perfer any store brand cottage cheese over Knudsens. Not sure why, but I don't care for the taste o Knudsens.

2) Vons (Safeway) has a Select dressing that I LOVE. It's Creamy Basil Ranch. I use it over steamed veggies all the time. Also mix with wine, garlic, etc then simmer to get an easy and taste sauce for fish or chicken.
Go to Top of Page

JeannieGA
Valued Contributor

Alpharetta, GA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  6:12:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just for your information Knudsen is made by Kraft Foods.

Jeannie in GA
Go to Top of Page

April74

Yuma, AZ
USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  2:30:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elsie

Many times the store brand is made by the name brand companies and sold under the store label.
hmm actually, Wal-mart is the OPPOSITE....they buy the brand name and sell it as it would be the brand name but it's not! For example, a storage tub that says "Rubbermaid" on it is not a Rubbermaid product, they just allowed Wal-mart to use it's name...for a price.

April
Go to Top of Page

S Wollenberg
Contributor

Texas
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  8:14:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Reference pickles.....I had a guy who works in a pickle factory tell me that each assembly line of pickles gets a different label put on it. For example, Line 1 gets Vlasic labels put on the jars. Line 2 gets Mt. Olive. Line 3 gets Walmart's GV brand. Etc, etc.

Hmmmmm.......

Susan
Go to Top of Page

TheresaMBaker
Valued Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  10:47:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ya, know my ex-boyfriend said this about crackers: I can't remember which brand (*5* years ago) but he said that Dollar General was the *exact* same as one of the national brands (I can't recall, it's late, it's been half a decade, maybe 6 yrs???)

Funny, though, that all the difference is a lable.......
Go to Top of Page

Cici
Contributor

Cabot, Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  7:44:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We will buy just about anything and everything in geberic..except cheese, laundry detergent and deodorant. In generic, we perfer the Kroger brand over the Wal-Mart brand when it comes to ffods, as the Wal-Mart brand seems (to us) to taste more salty.

Cecilia Cunningham
Professional Shopper
Silver certified #hefbqf
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  6:47:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love the Kroger brand of 100% Whole Wheat English Muffins.They're
on sale this week for $1.00 for a package of 6.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Vee
Contributor

Centralia, WA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  3:39:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Most generic brands are very probably made by the same manufacturer as some of the name brands. There are very few duplicate manufacturers out there, ie, by that I mean, there are very few, say, catsup manufacturers in the entire country. What they do is either re-label the top priced "name" brand with a "bargain" brand label to capture both the top and bottom end price markets, or, a company like Wal-Mart contracts with them to also make their catsup, maybe they will ask for a few changes in the formula to meet their end prices. Sometimes the manufacturer might also change the formula to meet lower price markets and different labels.
I find, altho I am an avid Diet Pepsi drinker, with money so tight lately, that Western Family diet cola tastes more like Pepsi, and Shasta diet cola tastes more like Diet Coke. JMO, and the Western Family can here on the West coast go on sale many times for 5/12 packs for $10.
I do like the Equate (Wal-Mart) brands for things like sinus, cold pills, pain/muscle rubs, even hair shampoo. Fortunately, some things I refuse to compromise on, like Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese, is also lots cheaper to buy at Wal-Mart, ie approx $7.50 for a 2 lb loaf versus Safeway having the same cheese at $10.99!
Sometimes it is worth it just to try an off brand to see if it is an acceptable replacement for the name brand, if not, go back, if it is, you save $$
Go to Top of Page

ReneaC
Apprentice

Greensburg, PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  08:17:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for Walmart for two years, and I was surprised how many Great Value items were made by name brand companies. Most of the GV frozen veggies are from Birds eye. I cant remember who makes them, but the GV peas and GV broccoli florets are the best!

Blue Bunny makes GV ice cream, but I think it is a differnt recipe, but I could be wrong. But Blue Bunny has the highest cream content as far I understood from the BB rep - if you pick up a package of bunny ice cream, and a package of breyers, you can feel the difference for example.

Also, watch the content sizes of ice cream. Breyers for example, has a habit of making their products smaller while keeping the same price, instead of raising prices. I think they did that twice in the 2 years I worked there...So you're getting less for your money.

I love their GV thousand island dressing, and I couldnt believe how many people said their pizza's are better than tony's pizzas (who also makes freshetta and red baron and they are a division of Schwanns) and the Kraft line of pizzas (digorno, jacks, florida something or other LOL, and tombstone). I havent tried them, I usually buy Tony's for the kids, we had them priced at 1.95 when they were usually 4 something at Giant Eagle.

I was raised on generics (I remember those boxes of crackers, that just said 'crackers' on the black and white boxes LOL) So I dont care if its store brand, except for heinz ketchup, hellmans mayo, and a few others.
Go to Top of Page

Kat_Mack

Miami, FL
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:33:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I typically shop at Publix grocery stores & have finally convinced my husband that their generic brand items are as good as most of the things we used to buy. The only thing he didn't like was their white bread (lol) & he refuses to eat anything other than Hellman's when it comes to Mayo.

I used to always think that Winn Dixie was much cheaper, but after doing some comparison shopping in my area, I found I was wrong. Plus there's a huge new Publix in our area that has a much bigger selection of items (including the Publix generic brand!), so I'm saving money and shopping where I prefer to shop. :)

Kathryn
Go to Top of Page

Elsie
Star Contributor

Camuy, Puerto Rico
USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  8:02:38 PM  Visit Elsie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here in PR, Walmart's Great Value tomato sauce is really thick! It doesn't just pour out, you actually have to use a spoon to scrape it all out. It's wonderful for all those criollo foods that require tomato sauce.

Shopping Puerto Rico! I wanna merchandise too. Help!
Go to Top of Page

Amanda AshvilleNC
Valued Contributor

Ashville, NC
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  11:27:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can tell you one to never buy. Anything that comes from Albertson's. I've been fooled too many times. The cheese has no flavor. Right now I'm suffering thru the worst plastic wrap I've ever used.

Great Value from Walmart and Kirkland from Costco are always a good product.
Go to Top of Page

Amy Kauffman
Contributor

Lincoln, NE
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  6:58:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do NOT buy that the brand names are the exact same product as the generic. There are major differences...

However, I like several generic brand items...

White Cloud unscented diaper wipes from WalMart are amazing
Target sells great stuff under their brand, plastic wrap, detergent, all the clothing, etc.
Anything that is going into a big casserole (Sauce, pasta, rice)
Baby Formula from Target seems to go down pretty well

Things I won't compromise on...

Viva paper towels
Imported cheeses
Dr. Pepper
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
Chi-chi's original salsa
Green Giant Frozen veggies
Go to Top of Page

KathyV

Rural Central, Texas
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  08:09:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I buy a lot of generic brands at Walmart. They tend to be the best around here. HEB has pretty good ones too.

Silver Certified,NARMS Certified, doing only Merchandising now locally
Go to Top of Page

VirginiaShatner
Apprentice

Bloomfield, NJ
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  7:55:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use a lot of generic products, but there are a few name brands I can't live without. Heinz Ketchup, Hellman's mayo, and my husband's favorite Coca-Cola.

Virginia
Go to Top of Page

Christina A
Trainee

Spartanburg, SC
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  08:09:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Target brand diapers and baby formula are great. I also use Target brand Alieve and lots of their food items. Watch out for the Market Pantry cookies...you'll get hooked! It seems to me their prices are comperable to Walmart's, but the atmosphere is SO much nicer.

...Silver Certified, Shopping upstate SC
Go to Top of Page

MicheleinBK

Brooklyn, NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  05:42:56 AM  Send MicheleinBK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to hate generics...or at least I was snobby about them. Now, at Costco, I but most of the Kirkland stuff. I buy my multi-vitamins, there, too! They have exactly the same nutrition as Centrum, even a little more and they are MUCH cheaper! I buy OTC at CVS, as well. For my groceries, I shop mostly at Wegman's. Their brand items are terrific{except the soda, but I am a die hard Diet Pepsi chick}. I'll also buy english muffins and bread from Stop N Shop. I feel that generics have greatly improved through the years. AND...after all the Aldi talk...I'm thinking of stopping there on my way home. I drive by it often, just never went in...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums