Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

.Dawn DE
Inactive

DE
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  09:22:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My just-turned-16-year-old daughter decided last week, after years of indifference, that she wanted to dress up this year and go trick or treating with some friends. I told her absolutely not, that it was cute when you are little but just plain greedy when you're a teenager. Her opinion was that as long as she wore a costume, and not go around the neighborhood with a pillow case and her sweatshirt hood pulled over her head, that it was OK. The point turned out moot, since she won't be home on Sunday night now, but I wondered what you all thought. There was an article in the paper here yesterday about whether there should be an ordinance limiting it to 12 or 13 and under. What is the rule or custom in your area? And, how do I be gracious when a 5'10" football player shows up on my doorstep Sunday night and yells Trick or Treat?

Dawn

MarieSpree
Star Contributor

NY
USA
511 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  10:14:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If a 5'10" football player showed up on my doorstep and yelled Trick or Treat, I'd say "Trick...turn into a child of appropriate age for trick or treating." I have had groups of teenagers knock and I say something like "Where are your little brothers and sisters?" When they claim it's just them I say something like "Very funny, guys" and close the door.

Seriously, where I live, it's gotten ridiculous. People drive in from the projects and the parents sit idling in the van while their kids rape our neighborhood for candy. I don't turn my light on anymore. I just prepare little treat bags for the neighborhood children and drop them off with the parents the next day. Why are all these people okay with candy from strangers? Go home and get candy from people you know!

"Let's shop til we plop!" "You mean shop til we drop?" "Whatever!"
Go to Top of Page

JennyF
Contributor

Louisville, KY
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  10:35:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't all "kids" be able to celebrate Halloween? It's not like your 16 year old can dress up and go to a bar (or you would even want her to!!). I say it's fine. Not many kids over 12 are trick or treating so if a few show up on my doorstep, I think I can spare a few tootsie rolls.

Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  11:02:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think a person is too old for trick-or-treating if one or more of the following applies:

1. He/she has lost, and not recovered, the joy associated w/ it;
2. He/she scares/intimidates (intentionally or not) others by doing it; or
3. He/she is doing it only out of greed.

I was 14 when I emmigrated to this country. I had never gone trick-or-treating and wanted to do so for my first Halloween. I was not allowed to do so. I have never gone trick-or-treating to this day and the memory of that first Halloween still hurts.

Yes, there are inconsiderate and greedy people who go trick-or-treating, but please don't judge everyone based solely on their age or even physical stature. You don't know whether the person you reject has ever had the opportunity to go trick-or-treating before, for whatever reason, when they were little kids. Does anyone except me remember the Japanese exchange student who got shot years ago when he went trick-or-treating? http://www.filmakers.com/indivs/ShotHeardRoundWorld.htm

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  11:23:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There always seem to be a few teenagers that come around in our neighborhood. Most even dress up! Since we have pretty mild weather, I usually sit out front with my witches cauldron filled with candy. The young ones come around pretty early, the older ones later on. I stay out front til about 9 and whoever comes by gets candy. The lucky ones are the last ones as I end up giving away lots as by then I'm ready to call it a night. Then into the house, no porch light on. Every year we get less trick-or-treaters. I know what you mean Marie regarding strangers. I know all the kids on our street and every year we get more and more strangers. Don't the parents care?

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

ErinSchutmaat
Contributor

TX
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  12:02:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kids lose the Halloween spirit and then they regain it. Let her dress up. Give the teenagers candy. You are only in your youth once. Why rob them of it. As far as the strangers go..this is what I do. I have two bowls of candy. Expensive candy and cheap candy. I give the expensive candy to the kids I know from the neighborhood and the cheaper candy (and only one piece) to kids I don't know or ones I know don't live in the neighborhood.
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  1:30:26 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
You could let the older kids volunteer to take out some of the neighborhood kids with tired mommies. That way everyone wins.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  6:50:44 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I give the teens candy - more if they have little ones with them or actually put on a costume.

I think if I laughed at them and shut the door on them without candy I would wake up with a house TP'd and egged.

My favorite is the beggars that ask for candy for their brother who is home sick or broke their leg or whatever.

Another favorite is beggars bringing their under 1 year old babies and asking for candy. Babies don't need candy I tell them and give them a book to read to their child.
Go to Top of Page

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  09:08:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I loved Halloween. I still do. I think there is only one year of my short 27 that I have missed dressing up because I was in Japan.

I did the trick-or-treating thing until I was 16 or 17. I put a lot of effort into my costumes and wanted to show them off. Where else could I go? Actually one year we were old enough to drive and we even decorated our car.

As long as you are dressed up when you come to my door, you will get candy. Actually I'd rather see older kids dressed up trick-or-treating that hanging around in an ally blowing off firecrackers. Just my .

Okay, now I've got to find a thread so that I can tell everyone about my Halloween costume this year. I'm still debating on whether to wear it to the Gold cerification conference. Does anyone think it would be a bad idea? I can keep my identity under wraps.

Happy Halloween.
Jen

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

Shuree
Star Contributor

Chesterfield, MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  12:33:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that the younger kids come earlier and the teenagers start showing up later. I don't really mind the teenagers especially when they have a good costume. That shows that they're actually trying because they made it up themselves. Of all the things teens can be into these days, I would much rather have them walking down my street than doing something mischievous or worse. Plus, I remember how desperate I was for candy at that age. You're too old to have your parents buying it for you & you're too young to have much of your own money.
Go to Top of Page

Judy in VA
Star Contributor

VA
USA
836 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  06:23:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll bite...what is your costume, Jen?

MSPA 2007 Shopper of the Year
MSPA Gold Certified
Specializing in recorded and unrecorded phone shops
Go to Top of Page

Sandy O
Contributor

FL
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  06:37:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shoot, I give them all candy....it is a fun night. I love the teens that come with smuged faces pretending they are "soldiers", or put fake teeth in and a black cape so they can be a vampire. Big as football players, tiny in a stroller--makes no difference here! I tak to them, tell them it is good to see them, ask how the team is doing! It is a fun night, if they are coming to my house for candy, they are not roaming the streets and that folks is a good thing!

But I only give suckers! Nothing special! Except the neighborhood kids. I make a bag for each of them. Last year they each got a flashlight, good candy, microwave popcorn and a few other things I found at a good price. I even made a bag and put in on the bicycle that belonged some a kid I didn't know. He locked his bike to the speed limit sign every day, then walked to the bus stop...so he got something too. I couldn't believe it that afternoon when there was a knock at my door, it was a young teen holding the bag and thanking me for the goodies. That evening I got a call from his mom. She told me he had been having a very difficult time with the other kids at school that year and when he got home had told her what I had done. She just wanted me to know how much it meant to him to have a stranger think of him. Talk about a feeling good!

Anyway, we get the trucks/cars of kids too and I swear some of the people live on the street....it is only candy.

Sandy O
Happily shopping in sunny, southwest FL
MSPA GOLD Certified
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  2:29:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't handed out candy since I have been in California. This is the first time we live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of children. I will probably put some candy bags together for the kids that I know. My favorite neighbors moved and I would have given them candy since their boys were so sweet! When I first moved here, the boys offered to help me move in and to think they were only 6 and 10!!! I miss them!!

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

Norman
Trainee

Islip, NY
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  3:20:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We don't get many kids at our house, when I lived in a second floor apartment, we used to get a ton of kids, then after dark the teens would grow hungry from shaving cream and egging, and come knocking. One year I sat our front in a chair with the bowl in my lap and a mask and sunglasses on. I shoved hay into the sleeves at thw wrist and at my neck as well. When anyone reached into the bowl to take a candy, I would snatch their hand and jump up.

The kids loved it...a few parents seemed to be having mild strokes.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  02:02:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What I don't understand is people who drive their children around in unfamiliar neighborhoods and send them up to houses without any lights on! We don't celebrate Samhein, and turn our outside lights off on the 31st. We don't have streetlights out here and it's PITCH black without the lights. Yet every year we have children ringing our doorbell. What kind of parent lets their child do that, go to a pitch black porch of someone they don't know?

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  4:20:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Judy in VA

Okay, I'll bite...what is your costume, Jen?

Ah, Halloween is long over now, but I was away in a sunny climate for a month after Halloween, so it still feels closer to Halloween than to Christmas for me.

This year I think I had a pretty original costume. I was one of those crazy carnival people that you would see at mardi gras or something like that. Well I've never actually been to mardi gras, so I hope my costume was okay. I put sparkly pipecleaners in my hair, painted my face white and wore some flashy clothes and a boa. And all of my friends were jealous, because I was the warmest.

Jen

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  8:20:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember how disappointed that I was when I reached the mandatory cut off age of 13 for trick or treating. That is the one night of the year that I still wish that I was a short person!!! I still enjoy dressing up on Halloween. I had the wonderful opportunity to do volunteer work in a local grade school haunted house a few years ago. I was at the height of my glory!!! Now I dress up and have scary sound effects!!! If you dare to walk up my driveway for a treat then the whole age thing is totally irrelevant!!! Boo!!!
Go to Top of Page

AndreaGayle
Star Contributor

MD
USA
350 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  3:17:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After 12, you are too old to me. And if you can drive to buy your own candy, forget it! My pet peeve is the kids who come aronud wiht no costume and a pillow case, no effort, no candy. Sorry, I do not think this is a holiday for teens to be greedy candy mongers. I was not allowed to go after the age of 12, in fact it was a rule in our neighborhood but there was a neighborhood party AFTER trick or treatign that everyone was invited to so that was fun.

Andrea Gayle
Go to Top of Page

.KimSVision
Star Contributor

Orange County, CA
USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  4:11:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been giving Freezer Pops (Otter Pops) to the trick-or-treaters for the past 20 years. A few years ago, my kids (ages 23-20-17) talked me out of it, telling me that they were "lame".

There were a lot of really sad kids in my neighborhood that year. They wanted to know why I stopped giving them out. (The parents loved putting them in the freezer for later, with no fear of them sneaking them from the kids)

Well, I'm back to giving them out, and you would be surprised how many teenagers leave when they see the kiddie treats that I give out.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  6:10:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hand out candy to whoever comes by. I have had adults with little babies who probably didn't even have teeth yet, much less should they have candy. Once the baby was just two weeks old. We always have plenty of candy.

I've had teenagers come by, but only two or three each year are alone. The rest accompany their little siblings or go along with a friend and his/her little siblings. Often they don't even ask and are really happy if I hand them some candy.

I don't mind kids coming by from other neighborhoods. When we first moved here not many houses handed out candy. Maybe one or two per street with twenty plus houses. Our neighbors didn't want to deal with it and usually came by in the early afternoon to give the candy to our kids. Because of the very few houses who participated back then my husband took the kids to another neighborhood for trick-or-treating. Since then more kids moved into the neighborhood and I'm glad things picked up again in our neighborhood and the kids can go here now. I can understand the desire for parents to provide their kids with a proper trick-or-treat experience because we went through it. But I agree that it is wrong for the parents to drive behind them in the car. There are no streetlights here. You rely on the lights from flashlights, porch lights and decorations. It's not easy to keep track of the kids and cars.

Anyhow, I think our kids might be asked to help handing out candy when they are 13. We'll see. Our church has a harvest party with trick or treat and such. Once the kids are in middle school, just like with the easter egg hunt, they are cut off and instead are asked to help organize and lend a helping hand at the event. I always figured that to be the cut off date.

As to the 16-year-old. I'd might have let her. My guess would be, if nobody would go along with her, none of the friends or siblings.... it might be too boring for her anyway

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  7:07:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are giving comic books and pretzels this year. I picked up some spider rings and glow-in-the dark decorations to put into treat bags for my daughter's classmates. I figure all the kids will get enough candy that I don't need to add to the dental bills!

(Maybe I should tuck my husband's business card into each comic book so the parents will know where to go for more--just teasing. He would never allow that).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums