Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  12:39:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Personally I think once you are a teen you are too old to go trick or treating. However, I will give candy to whoever shows up. We do get a few people from out of the neighborhood come here to trick or treat. Typically it has been a mom with a couple of young kids, so I don't mind.
Like others, by 9 I'm done handing out and ready to go inside. I stay outside to hand out candy as I do not want my doorbell to be continually ringing and scaring my cats.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  3:15:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have set trick or treat times, 6 to 8 pm. Some counties/cities start at 5 pm.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  4:18:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We moved earlier this year, so I am hoping this neighborhood is as polite as the last one (just a few streets away). Since my husband is still at work during trick-or-treat time, I take my daughter out and leave a bowl of goodies by the door with a note indicating each person should take one treat. The last two years there were things still in the bowl and I saw lots of kids carrying our favors (no one else gives out what we do, so we know they got them from our house). It seemed kids only took one and not handfuls. Of course, why would they need more than one copy of a comic book? And pretzels just aren't as tempting to many as Snickers or Reeses Cups!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Amber J
Star Contributor

Mesa, Arizona
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:15:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If they are taller than 5'5" I say that is the limit,and they are too old, but since my grandson is that height at 10 years old, I will go for it. He is from a great family of giants his Dad is 6'6". His cousin plays for the Steelers...yeah they are the "Keisels"..Super Bowl giants.

MSPA Gold Certified

Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  05:14:43 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last year at age 16 my daughter informed me she would never stop trick or treating as it is one of her favorite holidays. This year at age 17, she said; "I am hanging out with my friends!" There has been no mention of trick or treating.

We have always went with her and her friends. It has been enjoyable watching the other folks dressed up and interacting with everyone. I am going to miss it.

We have friends who live in areas that are not quite so nice or safe. They drive their kids to our area. This may very well be why some of you get kids that are not home grown to your area.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  5:14:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pam, I think some of the kids we get from outside the neighborhood live in some of the really poor areas (as well as not as safe areas). IMO, as long as a parent is walking with them, or an older sibling then I don't have any issues with it at all.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  3:14:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a different viewpoint. If you come in harmless fun, I don't care if you are 8, 18, or 80 I will treat you and enjoy it.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

.KimSVision
Star Contributor

Orange County, CA
USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  3:30:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That reminds me..........the lady across the street (about age 50) has her parents living with her on and off during the year. I was floored last year, when her mom (in her 70's and daughter in her 20's) went Trick Or Treating together and showed up at my house.

They looked shocked to get a Flavor-Ice freezer pop.
Go to Top of Page

NancyG
Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  5:10:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, how young is too young??? Last night I had a young mother pushing a stroller with a baby who could not sit up. Of course the mom had the candy bag and said I could put the treat in it for the baby. Surely, that baby is NOT eating the Hershey bar....
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  06:36:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always dress up when I take my daughter. She goes to the door and I stand on the sidewalk by the road, admonishing her to stay off the grass. When we got home this time she carefully divided the candy into what she likes and is allowed to eat, what she likes and is not allowed to have (the dentist nixed gum and sticky candies), what she doesn't like but Mommy does, and the rest, which she assigned to Daddy. I told my husband I would share my pile. He is still in awe of the fact the child doesn't like Snickers, Butterfinger, Milky Way...all the good stuff!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  8:52:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is so cool you dress up to take your daughter trick or treating. My one neighbor does as well when she takes her two kids trick or treating. I love seeing the parents dress up as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  4:53:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love to play and dressing up for any occasion qualifies. I make a great Klingon! I am afraid I have given birth to a child who is more Vulcan and Tellarite, though.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  7:52:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL, I bet. I used to be part of a Klingon fan club (have a costume for an original series Klingon). However they allowed people to use other aliens as long as they had been seen on TV or movies. So I had a lady make me a Minbari costume.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  3:20:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter is nine and she is still into costumes. Like most of the years before she wants to be a princess. (Twice she was not--once Cher and once Wednesday Addams). Of course, the costume I made this year, under her careful supervision, is a Zombie Vampire Princess Bride!

I guess we are past the Disney phase.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
881 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  3:35:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I'm with you! My daughter is also nine, and will be a princess again this year. It's getting hard to be a princess, but look different than any of the previous years.

And back to the "how young is too young" question. I now also have a baby who will be 6 months. Obviously too young, but when I mentioned not dressing her up, my 9-year looked mortified because I HAD too. So I think I'll dress her up as a baby pea...as in Princess and the Pea. But I'll not take a bag for the baby.
Our local mall has a huge turnout every year. We go to a few houses in our neighborhood and then to the mall where hundreds of kids trek the mall (out of the cold) until they make their rounds. It's pretty cool.

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  1:19:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Another favorite is beggars bringing their under 1 year old babies and asking for candy. Babies don't need candy I tell them and give them a book to read to their child
I think most parents can afford candy and aren't actually giving it to the baby. Bringing a baby trick or treating is more about the pictures, the dressing up, the experience, etc. I know that after dealing with infertility and loss, once I actually had a child, I wanted to experience all of the fun kid stuff with them ASAP.

Tracie
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  2:08:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree Tracie! Dressing your baby up and taking them out is exciting and fun...it's their first Halloween!!!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  10:00:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh and I can't remember if I posted this somewhere else on here or not..but this year we handed out small bags of chips (my husband works for Frito Lay and they give them to us)...so I had a kid, about ten or so come to the door. I gave him the chips and he said "Okay, but just so you know, it's suppose to be candy"...I had to laugh a little but boy did I have a talk with my kids about saying nothing but thank you when you are giving a Halloween treat...goodness.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  07:47:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband orders special Halloween editions of comics. We gave those out last year and the kids loved them (this year we gave them in treat bags to her classmates at school). Titles include Scooby-Doo, Bone, Archie, and Casper. I've also been known to stock up on toothbrushes and trial size kids toothpaste to hand out. And those small toys you can purchase by the gross, like Chinese finger traps and puzzles where you have to separate the two interlinked pieces of metal. This year is one of the few when I actually gave out candy.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  06:58:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This year we had a bunch of kids who got their candy and then stood around on the street smoking and laughing. And then another group of kids looks to be about high school or Jr Highish and were wearing very revealing clothes....which made me think if I can see your whole breast and they are bigger then mine, you are too old to be trick or treating...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums