Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  4:43:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had around 150 kids this year. I think the kids look forward to the comic books. When my daughter got home from trick-or-treating she immediately separated her loot and gave most of it away to the kids who came to our door. I heard one kid exclaiming, "Cool! I finally got some gum!"

We really didn't get many older kids. A couple of middle-school looking boys came by in street clothes and I teased them a lot--asking what they were supposed to be. They went away laughing and arguing about whether they were dressed up as kids from New York or California.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  02:44:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

This year we had a bunch of kids who got their candy and then stood around on the street smoking and laughing. And then another group of kids looks to be about high school or Jr Highish and were wearing very revealing clothes....which made me think if I can see your whole breast and they are bigger then mine, you are too old to be trick or treating...

LOL Those kids are beyond the age to trick or treat. I admit I have given candy to kids who came and were at least 16. I felt I better treat them or they may come back and egg the house or something.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  06:19:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had somebody this year who was dressed as a Ninja or something. It was a costume that completely covered his body and face. You could only see the eyes and mouth. He had a bucket to collect candy. He wasn't very tall (less than 5') and walked with a woman and a little preschooler (a girl). I guess he thought it was safe to smoke a cigarette because only the two front houses and us at the end of the street did something this year. When he saw we were handing out candy, he threw away the cigarette but I guess he wasn't sure whether or not I had seen it. The girl and the man came to the door. But he stayed just a little back. The girl took her candy, turned around and asked, "Aren't you getting some candy?" He told her he had enough candy. I'm thinking at other houses he passed himself off as a child because his bucket was as full as the girl's. As long as he doesn't say anything (the voice was a give away), well, you really had to look closely to see that he had the eyes and mouth of an adult.

My oldest will be in middle school next year. We told her to enjoy it this year, because next year she'll be handing out the candy and scare the kids.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  05:51:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter is 11--started middle school this year. I made her a new Dorothy costume because the school is allowing the kids to wear costumes all day. When I dropped her off this morning I didn't see a lot of kids, but the ones I saw were not in costumes. I hope she doesn't discover that it is no longer cool to dress up.

She had wanted to wear her Gregor the Cockroach costume, but decided it was too bulky to try to successfully maneuver through the hallway between classes while carrying her books, lunch box, purse...

I plan to let her trick-or-treat this year and next. When she becomes a teenager at 13, that's the end of going from house to house. I hope there is never an end to dressing up, though. (I'm wearing the wicked witch of the west costume today--the kids in the after-school program where I teach will get a kick out of it).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  6:25:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not one child came by tonight. Maybe it was too cold?

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  6:44:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We saw over 100 kids today, with more home-made costumes than in recent years. But the weather in Louisiana is a lot warmer than Ohio, I am sure.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  09:54:59 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the twenty-five years Ive lived in my home, Ive only had three trick or treaters, and they were my sons girlfriends children. Now, the neighborhood is changing due to new home construction so this year may be different. When I was a kid passing from 6th grade to 7th grade was the period when it became too old to go out Trick or Treating. It was kind of like a promotion from being a "child" to becoming a "teen".
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  1:08:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is snowing.... there is no accumulation and it is about 36. I tore up a lot of the garden today.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  06:18:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, it looks like we are finished trick-or-treating and we managed it very painlessly. My daughter helped me with the Trunk or Treat event at the church. She wore a jumpsuit and my handcuffs and sat in the back of the Montero. We surrounded her with cardboard and drew bricks on it. She added hash marks to show how long she had been incarcerated. I wore my old duty jacket and we used electricians tape to make bars. She wore down the battery on my phone playing Jailhouse Rock continuously for two hours.

She handed out comic books through the bars and when asked why she was locked up would tell kids she stole candy. We actually came in second in the best trunk contest--the trick or treaters were given tickets to drop into the plastic pumpkins in front of their favorite themed trunk.

Getting to be part of the action and seeing all the others participating was just as much fun as trick or treating, apparently.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  03:49:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, It sounds like you had a very creative idea and a creative daughter. I love the theme.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  06:28:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We're already discussing next year's theme. She wants to stuff the back of the truck with stuff--and make up sheets of items for kids to find, similar to an I Spy book. I'd like us to dress as elves and decorate for Christmas. We could wrap the comics in Christmas paper or colored tissue.

We'll see. We may have an even better (or easier) idea between now and next October.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums