Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Mystery Shopping a department store the day after Thanksgiving! (Black Friday)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JNorthup
Valued Contributor

Toledo, OH
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  07:30:08 AM  Send JNorthup an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PamInCa

Grocery and gas.

NO restaurants... Everyone is eating out on this day.
What? No Turkey Day leftovers?
With my family, there's always a leftover lunch. Better to eat them while they're as fresh as can be!

Josh
Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6557 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  07:39:33 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The majority of the mom's I know here buy their dinners at the grocery store already prepared for them.... At a grocery shop I did yesterday, the associate in the deli said they had over 400 orders for Thanksgiving dinner already.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  07:55:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never shopped (for pleasure or work!) the day after Thanksgiving. WAYYYYY too crazy for me!!! And I would have to get up WAYYYYYY too early to get the good deals!!!
But then again, if the money is right, I'll do almost anything ( as long as it's legal and I can keep my clothes on !!).

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

JNorthup
Valued Contributor

Toledo, OH
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  08:12:05 AM  Send JNorthup an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Servanne

I have never shopped (for pleasure or work!)
there were years when I actually went out and do my out-of-town gas shops on Black Friday. Yeah, I regret those; traffic jams in big cities for hours at a time, that's time not well-spent! And time lost with family.. I'm not getting it all back.
But I will do any quick shop that's nearby. (Like within 10 miles).

Josh
Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:49:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Servanne

I have never shopped (for pleasure or work!) the day after Thanksgiving. WAYYYYY too crazy for me!!! And I would have to get up WAYYYYYY too early to get the good deals!!!

You wouldn't get up, you'd have to be awake and in line the night(or even afternoon) before to get the good deals

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

Julie H.
Valued Contributor

MN
USA
146 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  2:40:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last year, an outlet mall in my area opened at midnight on Black Friday - and I heard it was busy, so they'll probably do it again this year! (I will be in my bed). I saw a merchandising assignment for Black Friday where the first hour has a bonus pay. I won't do it because I haven't done much merchandising yet and that doesn't seem like a good day to start! I'll stay home and enjoy my relatives and turkey leftovers. Happy shopping to all those braver than me! BTW, my Christmas shopping is almost done

Julie H.
MSPA Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  3:45:09 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Only the first hour? I wouldn't work in a store on Black Friday unless they bonused all day long.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

Aileen M.
Star Contributor

Naperville, IL
USA
410 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  4:55:32 PM  Visit Aileen M.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
BestMark posted a reimbursement only lunch in the biggest department store downtown where, during the holiday season, you can wait 2-3 hours for a table at lunch since you're actually seated around the store's multi level Christmas Tree. I can only imagine how crowded the restaurant would be when all the Early Birds get really hungry around lunch time!

Aileen Mullee
General Manager
Ann Michaels and Associates
Go to Top of Page

Jo in Fla
Contributor

Florida
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  5:56:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had a blast shopping last year on Black Friday. My husband works that day, so the kids helped me with a shop at a mall (locating specific ads/signs for an ad campaign). They usually don't get to help me and liked the "spy" component of this job, we checked out some good sales, and then hit the movies. Yes, I spent the shop fee immediately by letting them play at the video game arcade but they had fun and loved helping me. I haven't seen that shop again yet this year but will jump at it if I do.
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  06:48:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm doing a bunch of quick bank shops, all within 3 miles of where I will be visiting for the holiday. That will cover gas and tolls for the whole trip.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  08:05:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One year I was offered four jewelry shops - same mall - report form specific to Black Friday (seasonal employees and signage) had to be completed by 10AM or 12Noon. I was there around 9:15 and was done by 10:20AM - crowded, yes, but everyone was in a good mood and in the spirit of the season - had a gentlemen holding the door open to the Mall entrance for me, both coming and going. I left $100 richer and with only a 20 minute report to write.
I am not planning on shopping on Black Friday but I would gladly consider one nicely bonused shop as long as the hours were reasonable.

Roswitha
MSPA Gold Shopping sunny Florida Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo .....
Go to Top of Page

PaulaJ

Cordova, TN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  7:39:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
While I'm still new to mystery shopping - I'm a true veteran trained from an early age to shop Black Friday: it's a tradition!! My family lives about an hour away from Memphis in a much smaller city - so the traffic is heavy, but nothing compared to a large city.

I've scheduled the day off to enjoy shopping with my mom and aunts - except for the dinner shops that I picked up with bonus pay! I couldn't resist!!

PaulaJ
MSPA Gold Certified 09/2007
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  9:42:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm scheduled for 4 shops on Thanksgiving and 4 on Black Friday. I also plan on doing my regular Black Friday shopping. I will be resting on Saturday.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  2:19:15 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I only did personal shopping today, but I must say, they were on their game today.

I had extrememly good service everywhere I went today. They were very organized, one store had every cash register open and extra employees asking those waiting in line if there was anything else they needed. They would go get an item fro you while you waited in their lines. They also had plenty of the doorbuster items. Cashiers were rather friendly for 5am.

At another store, (no lines and I was rung up at the copy register instead of the regular registers) I commented that I forgot I had a coupon in my car. He said - no problem, I'll wait. So i ran out and got it. It was expired and he still took it. (it's their own $3 ink coupons)

If I had through enough to get names, I might write a nice e-mail to the companies.
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  5:41:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I took Black Friday off to do my own personal shopping. It was nice not having to memorize name, time wait in line or ask knowledge questions. I have a postal, bank and java this weekend.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  12:28:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last year I went to Circuit City at 7:00 AM to get a special price computer, waited and waited, and when I get to the counter, no more left. Never again, with all the sales they'll have next year, prices will be a giveaway.

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

Madge Shawver
Star Contributor

PA
USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  4:31:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seen NO shops that could be done on black friday...

Madge
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  5:53:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Madge Shawver

There are plenty - in addition to department stores there are also shipping shops, post office shops, bank shops, etc. If you want one (or more) they are out there.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

Madge Shawver
Star Contributor

PA
USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  06:36:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rita Collins

quote:
Originally posted by Madge Shawver

There are plenty - in addition to department stores there are also shipping shops, post office shops, bank shops, etc. If you want one (or more) they are out there.

hmmm I'd actually probably do a few but ALL the ones I've seen and been offered say NO black friday shopping.....I love the crowds!

Madge
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  8:08:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A scheduler called today and offered a nice bonus to do a shop on Black Friday and the same shop in a different town on Saturday; I accepted both.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums