I am in Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Shel7296
Contributor

Wapakoneta, Ohio
USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  05:45:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had the remains of Ike yesterday Really strong winds. My cable is out. Across the street from my apartment complex trees are down.

Shelly
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  6:18:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Marie, I didn't realize Ike would still be that powerful by the time he reached you.
We didn't have wind, only rain. Total was 10.25" for the O'Hare area.
My Son didn't have school today. It was open but the buses couldn't get through to this side of town and I couldn't get him there, so he was a happy camper.
All the major 4 lane highways surrounding my town and neighboring towns are closed. Only one is now open but it's one lane. The traffic is unbelievable, miles long because it's getting re-routed here.

In the city of Chicago, the locks were opened in Lake Michigan so the flow of water could go opposite and ease flooding in the Chicago River. That in itself is a very rare occurrence to keep open.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  1:57:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Right now? Right this minute? It is very blue sky and 78'F in beautiful MN. We do have our nice days you know.
Go to Top of Page

Kathy69
Contributor

AZ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  03:57:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has been under 100 degrees for the last 3 days. Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  10:01:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
36 degrees and rainning. Better than snow.
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  3:17:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Darlene,

I'm in Detroit. The rain you speak of is turning to snow. Probably on it's way to you in Ohio.

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  5:32:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Temperature in the upper 50's and wet, wet and more wet. I have to keep reminding myself that we have been in a severe drought and I prayed for this.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  8:16:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rain again today here on the shore. Seems like it has rained for the whole month of Nov. About mid afternoon it turned to heavy fog.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  8:31:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As I type this, it's snowing.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  05:14:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Chilly. In the 30's I guess. Snowed a little yesterday, but didn't last.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  06:48:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
15 degrees in this part of MN. It snowed a bit yesterday, but nothing significant. It turned to ice within hours!

Now, why did I move again? Ah yes, love...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

ShelliHoskins
Star Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  12:17:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's 31 degrees right now in Indianapolis, with a light snow falling.

Shelli ;)
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  7:20:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Actually it MIGHT be 15 degrees outside, but I wouldn't know. I don't go outside in the winter unless I am forced to and I wear at least two pairs of long johns (shirt and pants), socks, big boots, scarves and gloves (and that's just in the house). OR if my husband isn't home I just turn up the heat to 82'F and pretend I'm still in Miami!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  8:03:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Servanne, is that love of snow, ice & freezing temps?

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  8:05:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know you gals in Mn. aren't going to want to hear this but I love snow. Just don't like the cold that goes with it.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  8:32:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also love snow. That said, I have to admit that I've only seen it maybe a couple of dozen times in my life. All I really know about it is that you must buy milk and bread, school is cancelled as is work, that it comes in the night or early morning and is usually gone by early afternoon.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  02:27:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh Ellen! Silly Ellen! Nothing, I mean NOTHING gets cancelled here! I remember once I had to be somewhere and it snowed and I called and told the person I couldn't meet them because our cars were covered with snow. My husband laughed and said "ah, you know they are going to be okay with you being late, but people still expect you to go out in the snow. You just have to uncover your car".

When I was in second grade, in Tampa it snowed and school was cancelled. People were freaked out about it too - wearing socks as gloves, standing outside saying it was the end of the world, etc. Cars crashed into each other, people rushed home to be with their loved ones, etc.

All this for snow that didn't even cover the grass. But it was my first time so it was exciting.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  04:30:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lol, Lisa, here they cancel everything, too. And the milk and egg thing is true, too. We used to live in IL. When we moved here, we were laughing when everything was canceled because of a little dusting. If snow is in the forecast people rush to the store to stock up on milk, bread, and eggs, as if there would be a blizzard coming up.

I was amazed when school wasn't canceled today because last night we got a little dusting. They venture out at around three in the morning, test the roads of the bus route, if it's remotely slick, then school is canceled. Looks like the road department took care of the bus routes quite well this time.

Two years ago we had snow and they dared not to cancel school in a neighboring district because they got the roads cleared in time. Parents complained to no end that their precious kids had to step into the snow. The news on TV showed kids getting off the bus and out of cars...with improper footwear! One even had sandals on and complained about his wet feet! Back in Chicago they would have given an earful to the parents for sending the kids in like that. Here the school district gets an earful...

When I tell my kids that if the bus didn't come I had to walk to school no matter how much it snowed, they don't believe me. And yes, it was uphill both ways as the school was on one hill in town and we lived on another... No, I'm serious, that's true although people here cannot believe it..

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  04:40:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gayle and Ellen, snow really is not that cool. AT ALL. We don't have a garage, so every significant snow fall, we have to find the buried car and shovel around it to get it unstuck. Then we have to shovel a path so the car can move. Now, after you've been shoveling for 40 minutes the 6 feet of driveway, you're dripping wet in sweat and snow and it's 15 degrees outside (because it is WARM after a snow fall) and your eyebrows and eyelashes are frozen, your ears are so red and cold they're about to fall off (literally) and you can't feel your legs anymore. Good thing is by now, your car is warmed up so it's about 20 degrees in there... No need for a coat then... And of course, all this before you even hit the road, that all the morons have decided to share with you. Oh, but before you can drive, you have to shovel the sidewalk, so the kids going to school walking on your sidewalk don't slip and fall. That only adds about 30 minutes. OK, now you can hit the road. It can take up to 3 hours to drive 30 miles (it happened to me several times...), despite the snow plows having run all night. And God forbid you get stuck behind a plow...You can't pass them, way too dangerous with all the snow blowing around, and they go about 15 miles per hour. Well, I guess it's faster than most drivers. Anyways, roads are slippery and icy and that's if you can tell where the road is. Now add to the mix a little wind, and you have a white out. Around here, where there is nothing for miles but fields, white outs are very uncool. You can not tell the difference between the white sky, the snowed in road, the fields and the snow blowing around. It's very disorienting and unless it starts while you're already driving, you can forget about going anywhere.
So sure, the snow is fine and dandy from my living room, and most days I don't mind it because after a snow fall, it's just white all around and the roads are cleared up quite fast. But the actual snow falls and the day after are a nightmare.
Gotta love MN...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums