Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  04:59:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you don't love MN. A crisp 34 here and sunny.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  05:23:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, that was poorly phrased, and before my morning coffee! I do like MN, people are nice for the most part (there are jerks everywhere!) and it is quite a beautiful state. I love living in the middle of nowhere, and I have always said that as long as I have my family with me, I could be happy anywhere.
With that being said, I did not grow up with snow, so the first few flakes of the season always remind me of how much more "user friendly" snowless winters are!

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  07:14:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I lived in St. Paul for 2 years. Yes, the folks are nice but you can keep the cold and snow.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:35:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Enjoy the mild GA winters for all of us still in MN, would you please?

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  4:27:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Lisa, I might be silly but when it snows I have milk and bread and don't have to work. Sounds like a plan to me. Seriously, though I know that the rest of the country laugh at us about the snow days but keep in mind that we don't have the road equipment to deal with it. We could borrow some from the mountain counties but if we have snow in the east they have even more and need to keep it. Chains, well most of us have a log chain in the shed and they come in handy when it snows to pull the yankees (who know how to drive in snow) out of the ditch. We generally find that it's best just to wait for it to finish melting, usually by early afternoon. And it was a bit nippy here today--peaked at about 59 degrees--brrrr.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  7:34:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What a life Ellen!! LOL! No, actually I don't mind the cold so much, after 20 years of living here I can say that, but I don't care at all for the snow. One reason why I do this work is so I can NOT go out when its snowing. Normally if its bad I just stay put.

I wouldn't last the winter without my Ex-Southerner's Group.
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  1:22:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love the snow and I live in MN. What I don't like is the ice. I also like the cold. I was born here so maybe that is the difference. I did not do my run today because it was a 300 mile trip and the wind has blown the snow across the roads and made them icy. Hoepfully I can go tomorrow. Today I can just sit inside and look at the beautiful white yard. I also have two big guys in the house to keep my driveway and car cleaned off so do not have to do any of that. I'm spoiled. Have not had to shovel or clean off a car for 20 years and my car even sits outside because with no garage. I sometimes think we are crazy in MN not to have a garage but I turned my garage into a store. My husband was not real happy about that but he got over it.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  3:17:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
72 and sunny right now. They are predicting lows in the 20's wed a.m.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  3:43:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is cold - I'm not sure how cold today to be honest, cause I haven't been outside. The guy next door comes over with his riding snow blower (I don't know what they are called) and does our driveway and walk way and almost scared me half to death today, as I was still in my PJ's and not expecting to see someone outside of my house.
We got three inches last night on top of the two I guess we already had.
I'll have to leave the house tomorrow ...........maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  3:57:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They were predicting 8"+ snow but it was mostly rain. It changed over to snow around 2 this afternoon. I'd say we have about 1" so far. The WI border is supposed to get the heavier accumulation. Mess for driving and slick roads.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  7:42:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's been warm and stormy looking all day. Hope tomorrow is nice as we have a bit of work to do.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  8:40:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is 1 below zero right now, with a wind chill at 8 below zero.
We got a bit of snow here overnight. I'd say about 6 to 8 inches, on top of the 4 inches already on the ground. Our city maintenance is super efficient, as is the county, so the roads were as clear as can be by 7 am. Which means school was not delayed (I was really hoping it would be, I wanted to go back to bed...). But it is very icy tonight, as they did not get to bare pavement.
My poor Hubby is working outside all night. Brrr...

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  8:42:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
12 inches of snow! Wow Servanne, that's a lot of milk and bread. The temp here is in the 70's and it is raining cats and dogs. It is supposed to cool down a bit later in the week.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  9:15:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love the snow, I just am not fond of cold weather and since moving to NC I've come to truly not like ice. We do not get just snow there is always a layer of ice either under or on top of the snow.

Right now it's just raining and has been all day. Also it's supposed to rain throughout most of the day tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Mimi
Star Contributor

USA
1691 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  01:56:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You guys are not going to believe this...I just looked out the window, and we have SNOW!!!!

Edited to add: I just went out to play in it, and it is colder than a witch's appendage out there! My doctor's appointment is going to have to be rescheduled because the garage door is frozen shut.

Mimi
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  05:52:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
56 and rainy.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  5:58:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EllenNC

12 inches of snow! Wow Servanne, that's a lot of milk and bread.

I ran out of bread this morning and thought about you!
It has been sunny and blue skies here today until late afternoon when we started getting a few flurries. Nothing bad though. It covers the dirty snow with a fresh white coat and makes it look pretty, so I don't mind that stuff!
Temperature is 11 degree above with a wind chill of 2 below.

Mimi, they talked about your snow storm on our news!

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  4:19:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has still been warm here but is now cooling down. Since Mimi's nasty weather and rain came here I am waiting to see if we get snow.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  6:54:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So this morning I'm getting my son dressed and I got out this super cute outfit (he's 22 months) - a little sweater and pants set, with a matching jacket. My husband says "No,no,no, let's wait with that. Let's wait until it gets cold out".

Ah, it was 1 below when we had this conversation. Just how cold does it have to get I wondered!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  11:09:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've lived in MN too long. Today I had to drive around to a couple stores - its about 38 outside and raining and I got so hot that I opened the car windows, took off my jacket and it almost seemed like summer.

I hear its going to freeze, get very icy and then snow. So I'm back at home and not leaving until Tuesday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums