Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  7:59:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in Valencia, a suburb of Los Angeles, CA. Now the weather is in the 60's, and cold. I love it, we have way too much sun and the brisk weather is a relief. Having been born in San Franciso, I feel at home.

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  9:09:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

I want to move in with Irene!
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  10:15:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The thermometer reads -7 but the wind chill is at -31. Yes, folks, we're talking 31 degrees below zero. For those of you who have not registered that, it is 63 degrees below freezing point.

It's a bit chilly, you see....

We have very high winds, coming directly from our Canadian neighbors, blowing snow at 40 miles per hour. Going out right now is asking for frost bite and falling limbs. Literally.
We've had freezing rain all late afternoon, after a balmy 38 degrees this morning, as LisaOV stated. So now, under the two inches of snow that just fell, there is one inch of sleek, slippery ice.

Schools in our area are being delayed by two hours, to allow for children to stay home until warmer temperature set in. We're expecting a high of 5 below tomorrow.

Hot chocolate sound good right about now...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  05:07:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
54 now but is supposed to be in the mid 70's all week.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  06:44:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Quinn, I hope you can handle this incredibly mild weather!

Well we still have winds at 40 mph but the wind chill is now at -32, so it's warming up.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  07:40:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We woke up to 19 this morning....wind chill was a minus 2 or 4 degrees! No moisture of any kind, tho!
Go to Top of Page

Hinton38606
Star Contributor

Batesville, MS
USA
303 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  09:12:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The high this morning was 56...yeah that was the high for today. It's now 36 and we are expecting freezing rain later this afternoon.

Angie H
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  10:32:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Man, I am so disappointed. We are having Illinois weather today! It needs to go back north where it belongs. I drove to work in mild sleet, but I believe it is up to about 45 degrees right now.

Okay--so this is mild Illinois winter weather. I know. I just want my years in the south to feel like southern balm all year round.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  10:38:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is 82'F inside my house right now - I'll keep it that way until my husband comes home and then pretend like its been on 67'F (what HE considers reasonable) all day.

I'm fine with the cold until we get below zero - then I'll rather just stay inside.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  3:28:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think we were in the 70's today. I know that we went into town and had to use the AC.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  4:26:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

It is 82'F inside my house right now - I'll keep it that way until my husband comes home and then pretend like its been on 67'F (what HE considers reasonable) all day.

That is really funny. Does he believe you?
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  6:07:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Only if he never sees the heating bill Quinn.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:57:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm fine with the cold until we get below zero - then I'll rather just stay inside.

OH Lisa, you do keep me on my toes. This reminds something that I was told many years ago. It's suggestive, so use your imagination. I was told that the reason women have so much trouble with measurement is because men convinced them what 6 inches was. I myself was amazed to learn that a dollar bill was only 6 inches long. I thought surely it was more. No wonder your husband thinks 67 degrees is reasonable. It feels like 82 to him.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  06:37:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last week I was speaking with another mother while waiting for choristers to end. She was complaining that the weather report predicted it would get down to 28 degrees overnight. She stated, "That's 2 degrees below zero." I must have looked confused, because she repeated it twice more. I tried to explain that in farenheit that is four degrees below the temp that water freezes and zero is a lot colder. She "couldn't follow my logic." (her words) Then she told me that the cold down here is colder than the cold in IL because of the humidity. I didn't even try to explain to her that when it gets down to 20 below zero in IL and is still only 28 overnight in Louisiana, it is a heck of a lot colder in IL.

Yeah--I know. It sounds like there may have been a language barrier or that she is used to centigrade. However, I happen to know she is a native of Shreveport. Her family has been here several generations.

While I may continue to whine about the sleet outside (today it is real sleet with 10 accidents reported on the radio on the way to work), I certainly realize that I have it whole lot better than I would have had I remained in the frozen tundra that calls itself the northern states.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  08:11:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My friends in FL have no understanding of the weather here. I try to explain what 1 degree is and they don't get it. Well that's okay.

It was 14 below this morning so I decided to stay home and not work today. Traffic was horrible and backed up and I didn't want to spent all that time in the car with the kids freezing.
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Cassada
Valued Contributor

Rio Grande, NJ
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  10:15:55 AM  Send Jennifer Cassada an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was 63 here yesterday and now it is snowing and 31. I have to drive to Baltimore tonight for a MS so I'm hoping it's going to clear up shortly.

Shopping the South Jersey Shore
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  10:32:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I left some clothes in the dryer over night (hey, I never said I was a perfect housekeeper) and they froze up! I wondered if something was wrong with the dryer and called my husband who said it was just that cold out...........yikes!
Go to Top of Page

Carrie711
Valued Contributor

Citrus County, Florida
USA
154 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  11:35:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I sure do remember the freezing weather up north in NY, that's why we moved down here.

Here in central Gulf Coast Florida (about 80 miles north of Tampa)it is 81* right now.

We have been having cold snaps, which is unusual for us this early, but should be warm and sunny for the next week!

Carrie

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  6:47:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:

I left some clothes in the dryer over night (hey, I never said I was a perfect housekeeper) and they froze up! I wondered if something was wrong with the dryer and called my husband who said it was just that cold out...........yikes!

Lisa, I can't comprehend clothes freezing in the dryer. I assume that your laundry room is unheated, but I am picturing you running the dryer to thaw the clothes so that you could dry them. Oh, I hate to add insult to injury but it was in the 70's here again today. I would say that I would like to visit there someday, but I don't have the clothes, seriously. I don't own boots, but I do have a heavy-ish coat somewhere in the closet but haven't dug it out yet. This is all beyond anything I can imagine.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  8:29:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My mom moved to Florida soon after my daughter's birth almost 8 years ago. She called me at least once weekly until I moved to Louisiana last year to tell me how much better the weather in Florida is than in Illinois. Most of the time the purpose of the phone call appeared to be just to rub it in that she was experiencing sunshine in paradise while I was shivering. Well, that and to tell me that if I didn't find a husband I would die an old maid. She doesn't call as much any more...

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums