Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  8:33:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The laundry room can be heated and the clothes will still freeze in the dryer. The cold air comes through the vent from the dryer. I have had that happen several times. If the laundry room was not heated the water pipes would freeze for the washer. We had another 6-8 inches of snow today. It is suppose to get up to 14 above tomorrow so hope they are right. Time to get out the shorts and tee-shirts when it gets that warm.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  8:57:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDQuiring

The laundry room can be heated and the clothes will still freeze in the dryer. The cold air comes through the vent from the dryer. I have had that happen several times. If the laundry room was not heated the water pipes would freeze for the washer. We had another 6-8 inches of snow today. It is suppose to get up to 14 above tomorrow so hope they are right. Time to get out the shorts and tee-shirts when it gets that warm.

Thanks, Darlene, I just can't imagine, but I am coming to see you guys someday--soon as I get some warm clothes money. Next question, how are your summers? Ours are like, well, you've heard of hell?

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  05:00:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellen, yes, our laundry room is heated and Darlene is right - the air comes from the outside, which is how they froze up.

I honestly do not have any boots right now either - I need to buy some. Course I'm about the only person I know that wears them. Most people in the Twin Cities just throw on a jacket and go about their business - but not me. I look like a huge football player, I'm wearing so many layers. It I fall down I just roll and roll!

Ellen, the summers here are just as hot as Florida. They don't last as long and without the bugs, but otherwise, it gets very hot here.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  05:20:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, we don't have the freakish bugs, but we have the mosquitoes...I live in Silver Lake, and yes we have a lake, meaning lots of 'skitos. It gets hot and humid. (we are the land of 10,000 lakes. That does not take into account all of the small bodies of water lying around every half mile!)
Once we thaw out in April, it's gorgeous until July, then it's hot July-August, and gorgeous again until October. Except this year, where it was cold and snowing.

We have to have some water running in our bathtub all the time, otherwise the standing water will freeze up in the pipes. If the pipes freeze, then they explode (as they expand).
I have an electric dryer and the vent is not hooked to the outside in the winter, so the vent blows the hot air in the basement (it has a nylon on the vent so the lint won't blow all over the place). It smells good, brings some humidity in the house and warms up the basement a bit.

Lisa, I was just thinking yesterday that whatever fashion sense had not be killed when I gave birth to my children was gone for good in the winter, with the boots, ski gloves, hats, scarf, etc.

Right now, it's -7'F, no wind and a projected high of 10 ABOVE. Yeah!

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  05:21:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
55 and dense fog.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  05:35:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Currently 15. Yesterday we had 5-6" of snow fall. I heard we're supposed to get bad weather so I turned on the "Weather Bug" that's on my PC. We're in a winter storm watch with "significant ice accumulation" starting tomorrow - Friday.
I am not looking forward to that because I have large trees near the house. Good thing all my work and errands are later today.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  1:31:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Right now it is 12'F and very sunny!
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  5:16:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is in the 70's again today and quite pleasant. Marie, Lisa and Servanne, I love you guys and hope you don't freeze--brrr.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  5:45:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, tonight it's 35%...I'm in Los Angeles, and it is cold. Snowing about 10 miles No. of me...hwy closed for the night. People in L.A. just can't drive in the rain and sleet. I love to stay in, and make big pot of soup, it does feel like winter for a change.

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  6:39:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today was really nice. We even had sunshine. It is suppose to start snowing tomorrow again and we are under another weather watch. I have a long run scheduled for Friday to SD so hope the weather is OK then. I have rescheduled that run once already. Good thing it is still early in the month.

Ellen you are welcome to come anytime. We could even plan a get-to-gether with all the MN MSers if you decide to come.

I have not owned a pair of boots or a hat since I was in grade school more then 50 years ago. I do have gloves. Just started wearing my winter coat this week.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  8:56:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Marie, Lisa and Servanne, I love you guys and hope you don't freeze--brrr
Thanks Ellen
I tell ya, when I'm out in our cold 0 weather or below, then I look at the map and see what MN is enduring, it's worse. International Falls seems to always be the topic with the weatherman. I've never been to MN, you must have heavy duty everything, from car batteries to windows on your houses.
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  10:24:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are on the opposite end of the state from International Falls so it does not get quite as cold here. We are on the Iowa border actually. We really do not find it that hard to stay warm. It sounds worse then it really is.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  05:03:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marie, I wear hats, gloves, boots - you name it, but only because I'm a wimp! Most of the people here in MN don't wear anything, except those ski masks, which coming from FL scared me the first year (every one looked like they were going to mug me!!).

I do not have a car starter - which I would love to have. We don't even put our cars in the garage. What I would really, really, really like is a toilet seat warmer, to be honest with you.

Ellen we love you too! Come visit any time.

You guys will have to remind me to tell you about my mystery shopping trip to International Falls sometime.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  05:08:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marie In Chicago
I've never been to MN, you must have heavy duty everything, from car batteries to windows on your houses.

When we moved to our house here 4 years ago, the windows were so bad upstairs, we spent the winter camping in the living room! (we moved around Thanksgiving and did not even bother bringing the beds upstairs!)
Darlene is about 100 and some odd miles south of me. So I guess in the grand scheme of things, I am closer to International Falls than she is. But, I am still over 300 miles from the Canadian border! LOL!
Ellen, I do not plan on freezing anytime soon! My kids are so oblivious to the cold, it's really strange. My husband works outside all night and I get worried about him, but he says he's fine. He does wear long underwear and two or three shirts, though.
Marie, you guys get the windy tail of all the bad storms, after they've accumulated speed and what not. So in a way, to me, it is worse.

Right now, we are a -6'F, no wind and expecting a high around 20'F.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  3:38:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hate to admit this but since the sun went down it has dropped to 62 and I have to find a sweater because it's a bit chilly to me.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  5:32:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I keep my house at 62!!!

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  5:42:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's 78 in my house right now. I guess because it was 80 today and I had all the windows open. It is now 61 outside.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  5:50:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

I guess because it was 80 today and I had all the windows open. It is now 61 outside.

I'm so happy for you Quinn, I'm dancing!

Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel is broadcasting from Chicago. Not a good sign.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  5:50:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We don't have AC in our house, so we have some summer days at over 90 in the house. I'd rather be hot and have my windows open than cold and no air circulating though. I come from a very mild climate, with no real hot days and no real cold days, just a lot of humidity. The really dry weather here in the winter is very different from what I grew up with.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  6:33:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today started out with very cold rain. By noon it was warm rain. Now it is just warm humidity. My kind of winter precipitation!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums