Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  05:10:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellen, LOL, I'm cold if it gets below 80'F! I get teased all the time that I am the LAST person who would ever live in a cold place. But layers work wonders. Heaters too.

We are expecting three storms back to back today and this weekend. It has already started snowing here and I was told it could be 12 inches by Monday (of course different reports say different things).

I'll already contacted some of my companies to tell them that I might NOT be able to finish my work (mostly merchandising) due to the weather and only one was not so nice about it.
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  05:19:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The weather outside is frightful. It's 28 here, with sleet, freezing rain, snow, and lots of accidents.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey4Jancyn
Trainee

Daytona Beach, Florida
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  08:36:27 AM  Visit Stacey4Jancyn's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
This morning I was freezing, it was 60. Now it has warmed up to a delightful 80. I could almost go for a swim!

Stacey Hempfield
Stacey4Jancyn@gmail.com
Project Manager
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  09:28:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah, growing up we use to always go to Busch Gardens on Christmas and then to the beach on my birthday (Feb). I do miss Florida a lot. I'm hoping that a visit there might help my husband get a little interested. He's never been out East or down South, so he doesn't know what he is missing.

I've been in MN twenty years now and I love the Twin Cities, but I'm ready to move somewhere else and if it was just me I'd be living in NC or Boston or somewhere. I'm not really one to stay put for too long. It doesn't have to do with the cold, it has to do with me just getting bored being in one area.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  1:46:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Currently 29 with a deep blanket of snow. It's very pretty.

Monday it's supposed to go into the deep freeze with a high of 8, of all days. Don't even want to know what the wind chill will be.

If you watch Monday Night football, I'll be one of those crazy frozen bodies in the stands at Soldier Field.
I am so excited to see them play Green Bay *woof**woof*
I'll
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  5:14:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Upper 70's again and supposed to hold through the weekend. I would like for it to drop--just a little--because I have this great sweater I want to wear Christmas.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  3:45:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How are you guys in Oregon holding up? How about you, Marie, lots of snow yet? And Darlene, did the sleet ease up a bit?
Around here, it just stopped snowing about one hour ago. I have been shoveling ever since (among other modern gadgets we don't own, a snow blower...). We got about 10 inches, but the wind blew some drifts well over 18-20 inches. The temperature just dropped too. It had been right about 15 all day, now it's -3, with a windchill of 25 below, winds at 32 mph. We're supposed to get some really cold artic air tomorrow.
Oddly enough, I am getting used to this tough end of fall we're having. Can't wait to see what winter has in store for us...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  3:56:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
How about you, Marie, lots of snow yet?
We had about 6-8 inches, more deep north. I'm glad we didn't get the ice, that stayed south of us. We're in for really cold temps the next few days with wind. It's quit pretty though. We'll definitely have a white Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  4:06:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is still snowing on my side of town.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  5:02:57 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here in NW Wisconsin we have alot of that white stuff coming down, presently, about 4", and blowing. Roads are treacherous, and just plain wild to be on near the malls. I cant believe that so many people decided to head out shopping of all days. WalMart had every one of their 34 checkouts open and long lines at each, the mall was wall to wall customers also. At least, I reside in the part of the state that wont be receiving the predicted 7-12", really feel for you up north in Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  5:11:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Snowing and windy. It looks like we have received about 7-9 inches and have 40 mile and hour winds. No one is on the road. If they are they are NUTS. It is suppose to last until about noon tomorrow. I just stocked up on groceries and am ready to stay in.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50246 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  6:52:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
66 and a clear night.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  9:32:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rainy and in the 60's. That's homemade soup and electric blanket weather around here.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  07:23:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
-7 right now, -31 wind chill. There is a No Travel Advisory until 12 noon today. Darlene is affected by this too. Weather is so bad, even the snow plows can't be out. The news were broadcasting from my little town last night! I guess that's not a good sign...
Anyway, the warning talked about white out conditions (which I have only seen once in my 9 years in the US) due to the bad blizzard. That combined with the cold, the word was to only travel if absolutely necessary and bring your survival kit, ie blanket, flashlight and phone.
Somehow,not worth going out shopping...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  08:00:01 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I heard on the news last night that no one in MN. should drive unless absolutely necessary. I think it said something in particular about those that do not have four wheel drive due to jumping trees.

Here it is sunny, but cold. 48 degrees.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  08:08:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband, who grew up in MN, says they are just making too big a deal about it and has gone out shopping both today and yesterday. He doesn't really let the snow or ice or cold bother him.

However we both agreed not to let the kids go anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  08:14:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PamInCa

I heard on the news last night that no one in MN. should drive unless absolutely necessary. I think it said something in particular about those that do not have four wheel drive due to jumping trees.

Here it is sunny, but cold. 48 degrees.

Well, that was funny, Pam....

Now I have to explain that on Thursday morning, I hit a patch of ice and lost control of my vehicle. I rammed into a tree, drag it with me and lost a good portion of the front and under of my car. A cop arrived at the scene, and he told me to leave right now. Mind you, I was not on the actual roadway at this point, since I was near the tree I hit. And I was a bit shaken and crying. Anyway, he told me to get out of there but I was stuck in a foot of snow. So I proceeded to back up, go forward, back up, etc. Then he reaches inside my car and over my wheel and tells me to engage my 4-wheel drive. I told him I did not have 4-wheel drive and he told me that of course I did. At this point, I was quite annoyed and I said "Look, when I bought this thing, I was cheap and I got the 2-wheel drive, OK?" He threw his arms up in the air and walked away, leaving me to my fate. When I finally got my car free from the snow bank, he walked back toward me and said "Huh, I guess you only had front wheel drive after all..." No kidding...
So there it is, folks. That's my story. In my defense, there were skid marks of at least three other vehicles that had been very close to hitting the tree. Guess they were luckier than me that day...

Did they really talk about MN on the CA news? Cool...

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  08:32:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Servanne, I have a SUV without 4 wheel drive and some people are in disbelief. The insurance was outrageous with 4 wheel drive so I opted not to have it. I would have liked it when I got stuck in the foot of snow we had Friday. Here comes another foot with blizzard!! Thanks for sending it our way to Michigan. lol
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  08:40:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shel, you're welcome. I kinda got tired of the snow, so I thought I'd send it east.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  10:10:17 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, they were really talking about the snow storm and blowing winds in MN. Servanne, I know it didn't seem funny to you, but listening to you tell the story during the heat of the moment was funny. After I found out you were ok, of course.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums