Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  7:14:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's in the upper 20's and supposed to get worse. Still camping out at Heart Center but good news, no new bypass needed. He can be treated with medications. Going home tomorrow, God willing.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  7:16:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not too bad here. At least no snow, ice or below 0 temps. It is supposed to turn cold starting tomorrow for the next few day but for here that means lows around 30 during the day.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  7:28:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellen, glad to hear your hubby will be OK.

For the second day in a row, school will be delayed two hours tomorrow due to the cold, after being closed early on Monday due to the snow. Actually, most if not all schools around us are closing for the entire day, so I would not be surprised if the kiddos stayed home all day tomorrow.

My husband is working outside all night tonight in -22 temp, wind chill at 41 below zero. Poor guy. He told me he's fine, but I'm still worried. In my neck of the woods (he works far far away! LOL!) we have predicted wind chills of 45 to 50 below zero by 5 AM. Just north of me, they're talking -60.
Honestly, I don't even remember how cold that is. They were saying this is the coldest it's been in 5 years.

Right about now, I'd take some of that global warming they keep telling us about...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  8:22:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
My husband is working outside all night tonight in
If you don't mind me asking, what does your husband do that he works overnight outside? Poor guy is right.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  8:37:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sure, you can ask! He delivers pizzas. So he's in and out constantly. Now he tells me that he's in more than out, but I've done ride-alongs with him, and I can tell you that he's out more than in (if that makes any sense!). Since he is in and out of the car so much, that crazy man does not wear a jacket and he steps right outside in the frigid cold...This may be TMI but I bought him some thermal long johns and I checked that he had them on before he left the house!
They were saying on TV that irreversible damage to exposed skin due to frost bite can happen in 7 minutes. 7 MINUTES!!!!

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  02:35:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's 3 here, -14 with wind. Sitting here waiting for TV to show our schools closing!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  04:56:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We were up half the night because I have this fear that something is going to happen with the kids when its this cold. I kept checking on them, checking the doors (we have way up high locks and my son doesn't get out of his crib yet - BUT I just can't help but worry about them), checking the water pipes, checking the cats, the dog, etc. My husband went out and ran both cars in the middle of the night, just to make sure he could get to work this morning. Ran the dryer a few times last night so it doesn't get too cold, etc.

Before he left this morning my husband said to keep the house warm today, so the pipes don't freeze up.

What a hassle! I remember when I was growing up in Tampa, if it got to the 30's we'd all sleep in the kitchen next to this huge space heater we had hooked up.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  05:25:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A crisp 32 degrees this morning but it is supposed to be a bit cooler tonight.
Go to Top of Page

ShelliHoskins
Star Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  06:45:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's -6 here..not sure what it is with the wind chill, but it's VERY cold...

Shelli ;)
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  07:04:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Arkansas is cold, it is 17, not use to this type of weather, I don't even own a winter coat. Burrrrrrrrrrrr Suppose to be even colder tomorrow. It was 57 yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:40:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maralyn, this type of weather is worse when you're not prepared for it. Without a need for a winter coat most of the time, why own one? And then next thing you know, you have way below freezing weather...Hope you can stay warm.

The schools are closed here all day, due to the cold. My husband gave me temps last night in Minneapolis, and they were right about 10 degrees warmer than we were here all night. So I guess it made me feel a little better about him being outside. But he slid on ice last night and twisted his ankle. He says he's fine, but I think he's just trying to be tuffff...

Wind chill is at 37 below right now, thermometer shows 17 below.
Earlier this morning, right about 7AM, it was 35 below with wind chills at 48 below. Insane.
Looking out the window, it could be 80 degrees out, the sun is out and the sky is blue, not a cloud in sight!

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:57:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Servanne,

My girls have been on the phone today, knowing that I won't wear a coat, they are worried......I have alot of light jackets, but they are not for this type of weather.....I will stay in....suppose to be high 40's by Saturday, we will think that is a heat wave. LOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:03:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter is going on a field trip today. The teacher advised all the kids yesterday they have to wear the school uniform, but to choose the pants option and wear long socks, hats, mittens, and a heavy coat. I layered the poor child (in fewer layers than an outdoor IL field trip would have required in January). She's wearing cable knit tights and footies under her khaki cotton twill pants and tennis shoes--and a mock turtleneck shirt under the uniform polo and uniform sweater and fleece coat. With her warm IL mittens, scarf, and hat she should be fine.

Oh--the weather is a very windy 33, but dry and sunny.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Morgan
Contributor

Pittsburgh, PA
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:07:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Servanne, how about some hand or foot warmers for your hubby's boots. They're not that expensive, and they might help him stay warmer overall. My husband had 2 in each boot and hand warmers in his gloves when he was out for the Steeler game last Sunday, and he said he was comfortable (of course, it was low 20's, not negative).

but then, you guys have probably already thought of this since you live in Minnesota!
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:21:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I smiled when I read your post, because that's what I do to: I put wool tights under my kiddo's pants if I know she'll be outside a lot! For recess and Phy Ed (yes, outdoors Phy Ed: they go sledding, or hiking through town once in a while), they have their snow pants, the overall kind is required for school, as it keeps your chest warm too. Then the waterproof mittens, the wool hat, the scarf, the winter coat, the warm boots...For some reason, kids like this stuff, they don't mind the cold and snow as much as adults do!

Sandy, the long johns were already a small victory. As a true Minnesotan, Ted says he's used to this and doesn't mind it. He's been doing the same job for 22 years, and swears up and down this is nothing compared to the blizzard of 1991! Everybody in MN remembers the Halloween night blizzard of 1991, and for some reason, and even though it was not cold that day, this is still the point of reference for many people. Go figure! Anyway, maybe if I put them in his shoes without him knowing beforehand...

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:30:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandy, I was laughing too because as someone NOT from MN I have a drawer full of those handwarmer things - the kind that work just one night or so, but my husband, like Servanne's, is from here and wouldn't DREAM of using something like that.

I remember where I was during the Halloween blizzard of 1991! I was at a bar on Grand Ave called Dixie's wearing a 1920's Flapper outift and on a date with a guy I didn't like very much. He refused to drive me home, I couldn't get a cab and everyone else was drinking so much that I didn't want to ride with any of them. So I was there the entire night.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:43:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
PS my husband saw someone wearing shorts yesterday,
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  11:01:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

PS my husband saw someone wearing shorts yesterday,

With all that talk about frostbite, that's insane!!!

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  11:36:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter found my handwarmers in the pockets of one of motorcycle jackets (that I haven't worn since before she was born) just a couple of days ago. They sure came in handy when I drove the school bus--since the driver sits next to the door I never did feel warm in the winter, so I kept them tucked into my gloves. Wish I had remembered them when I dressed her this morning. Of course, being 7 she would likely have lost them, and I doubt I can replace them at the local Wal-Mart this far south.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Pat A
Star Contributor

Gulf Breeze, Florida
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  1:06:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
High of 56 today and 22 tonight, normal for this time of year is mid to high 60s in the day and 50s at night. Our palm tree is looking for a sweater!

Happily shopping the Pensacola, Destin area and all of the beautiful Emerald Coast of Florida.
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums