Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  4:34:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat A
Our palm tree is looking for a sweater!

That made my day a little brighter! Thanks!

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  6:24:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
( PS my husband saw someone wearing shorts yesterday,)

That was maybe my son. Ha! He wears his shorts and t-shirts all winter. He actually put long pants and a sweatshirt on today but not a jacket. I was giving him a bad time that he had jeans on and it was only 20 below.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  9:09:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Currently -15 below with a windchill of -35 below
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  04:55:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know how cold it is anymore. I give up.
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  06:05:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Arkansas, 11 right now, excited, this morning we have power, none all night.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  06:32:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
23 below zero with wind chill at 36 below zero. Still arcticly cold.
They are announcing a heat wave with temps in the single digits above zero, but at least it will be positive temps!!!
Wind chills will still be at 10 to 25 below zero, but you can't have it all at once...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Morgan
Contributor

Pittsburgh, PA
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  7:00:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Servanne, it's bitter cold here right now (well, for Pittsburgh, for you guys, it's a balmy -7) and we ordered a pizza. The pizza delivery guy showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. I asked him if he was married and when he said yes, I told him to please put a coat on for his wife's sake!

I was thinking of you the whole time!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  7:38:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was 18'F ABOVE when I was out today and I saw several people in shorts, mostly younger men and a couple kids (what are their parents thinking, I wonder). I walked from the car into the stores without gloves on - which is huge for me.

I have two friends that live here that I grew up with so I'm not the only nutty Floridian here, and we've been checking on each other, making sure we are okay and getting through what to me has been one of the worst winters.
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  8:03:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was 11 yesterday and it was 50 today. Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  12:28:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Morgan

Servanne, it's bitter cold here right now (well, for Pittsburgh, for you guys, it's a balmy -7) and we ordered a pizza. The pizza delivery guy showed up in jeans and a t-shirt. I asked him if he was married and when he said yes, I told him to please put a coat on for his wife's sake!

I was thinking of you the whole time!

LOL! That's very nice of you to be thinking of us, poor delivery guys' wives!!! He probably wondered where you were going with the "Are you married" line though!

We are officially out of the artic cold snap. It's slowly making its way east so all of you east of the Mississippi know what to expect now! I'll be thinking about you in our beautiful 23 degree weather, with wind chills at 17 ABOVE (!).
And incredibly enough, it does feel warm.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Morgan
Contributor

Pittsburgh, PA
USA
94 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  08:43:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't have started with the are you married line if my own husband wasn't right there at the door with me, getting the pizza.

Good point, though. It was 27 this morning, a full 30 degrees higher than yesterday morning's temps.

We had my daughter's 7th birthday party at our house yesterday, I was worried about getting the ice melter to work so the girls didn't fall on the walk. That's another story altogether - 18 (yes, I'm insane) little girls at our house for 2 hours.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  09:35:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
61 and light rain.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  7:05:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay, yall listen up. I have BREAD and I have MILK. You know what that means? Yep apparently we are getting snow down south.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  7:41:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EllenNC

Okay, yall listen up. I have BREAD and I have MILK.

Seriously though, don't forget an extra blanket and a flashlight. I always have those handy, even in the cars. (and bottled water). Hey, you never know...
Ellen, I hope this storm will not be too bad. You have been having some bad weather for your area. Yuck.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  8:10:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey, Servanne, you won't believe this but when our house was broken into a few months back, they took even the flashlights. We lose power here if the clouds cover the sun, so I have kerosene lamps and matches in every room including the bathrooms. Other than public water we have two wells--one was originally for the house and that one is an artisian well and needs no power. We just open the faucet and there is water. Temps aren't supposed to get low enough to freeze the pipes.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  8:35:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had an unusually cold (for us) weekend. I am battling another cold so since I don't have a lot of work this week I decided to stay home today& take care of myself for a chage. Now they are callig for a winter storm overnight into tomorrow with cold temps, snow ice, the works. Great, if I had known that before I would have worked today. Oh well maybe it will fall thru. Most of the time it does. Rain out there right now. We had a dusting fo snow overnight last ight & the channels are freezing in some spots (I live in a coastal area & when the salt water freezes, baby it is cold)

Our power blinked all weekend & fially blew my computer. Now using my SIL's old laptop till I get another one. And it was plugged into a surge protector too.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  9:01:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Supposedly we're getting snow overnight or tomorrow or something. Anyway I'll believe it when I see it.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  10:26:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Warm up - 18'F today! Not too bad. Took the trash out to the side of the road without a jacket or gloves. On Saturday I went back to the stores I had been to the week before and finally found my hat I thought I had lost. Its a cool hat. Warm and fuzzy. Yippee!
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  2:25:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had SNOW!!! Absolutely nothing open. Pot of soup on the stove. We and the children are safe and warm. Life is good.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  3:13:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't hate...80%, sunny and crisp, needed a sweater...life is good here in the winter.

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums