Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:11:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wel, no snow here, not a single flake. N.C. got it all. In a way I'm a little disappointed. I know some of you will offer to send me yours. But we don't get much snow around here & I love it. Just not all the time.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:23:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm also in NC and we had a little tiny dusting of snow this morning and it was totally melted and gone by noon.
Gayle, I'm also a little disappointed. I was hoping for some real snow, not the minor dusting that didn't even cover the grass. I love snow, just not for 4-5 months out of the year. The reason I moved south to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:40:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gretta, you're kidding. We have a place in Robeson County, also--at least until we can unload it on some unsuspecting person--and we are there this week. We had about two inches, maybe a little more. We are just a couple of miles from the SC border and this is the second time we've had any accumulation since we've owned this place. It is beautiful. It should be gone my mid day tomorrow but for now it is too cool. It started later north and down east. They were expecting more there than here but I haven't talked with anyone to find out.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:18:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellen, how was the storm? Not too bad I hope. I know you guys just don't have all the infrastructure we have around here to handle the harsh winter weather.
Tonight, it is yet again crazy cold. It is 5 below zero with wind chills at 26 below zero. It is supposed to be 15 below overnight with winds bringing it down to 35 to 40 below zero. You know, I have nothing against Canada, but they do not have to send us their arctic cold every other week...
OK, there is one cool thing about the cold: I went outside with wet hair to start up the car today, and my hair froze solid between the house and the car (about 10 feet...we do not have a garage). My kids got a kick out of it, so I went back out to freeze my hair again! That was quite fun!

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:25:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Servanne, you have to love the weather here. It is so unpredictable. It snowed in Eastern NC most of the day Tuesday which is rare. We got about 3 inches and all of it was gone by noon Wednesday. Today it was in the 60's.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:25:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband told me, I don't know if its true or some sick MN humor, but if you go outside when its 20 below or colder (I don't know if wind chill counts) with wet hair your hair can freeze and break off.

I loved the photo I saw on the news where a family put their wet clothes outside and it froze up to where it looked like they were waving. It takes 2 minutes for wet clothes to freeze up.

Well, you gotta have some kind of fun around here.
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:29:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Lisa, try the hair thing and let us know. Just wet the ends not your whole head because if it's true we don't want you walking around looking like you have the mange.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:30:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh not me!! I'm doing a hair market research deal - so I need all my hair. I'm turning into a red head on Monday.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:35:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

My husband told me, I don't know if its true or some sick MN humor, but if you go outside when its 20 below or colder (I don't know if wind chill counts) with wet hair your hair can freeze and break off.

Hmmm...Sounds to me like it could be true. Hey, I'm not doing the hair research thing (which I am really curious about, BTW!), so maybe I'll try that tomorrow!
Yep, gotta have all the fun you can!

Ellen, your weather is out of whack!!!

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:39:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, Servanne, it is which is why we have many children with constant snotty noses. Something just occurred to me though. I'll bet all the people there with garages put their cars in them. We don't do that. We park the cars in the driveway and stuff crap in the garages. Unless, of course, one has a boat or a Harley--they get garage space.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  8:47:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband put the car in the garage just once this winter. Otherwise, and he's from here, he believes that one should just "deal with" the cold.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  05:23:39 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
WHEN I was in high school, the last period of the day I had Phy.ED. That particular winter, swimming class was involved. There were many times right after class we had to wait for the bus to come, and our hair froze stiff as an ice cube. None of us girls experienced any problems with it breaking off though. We thought it was kind of neat.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  06:03:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
54 out this morning.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  07:43:05 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
-14 below here with a windchill of 35 below...summer in WI. lol
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  12:42:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
76 and drizzling...winter in L.A. as cold as it gets....

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  6:26:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was talking to someone today and said "its not too bad out, only about four below". Now that's pretty sad, when four below sounds good.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  05:35:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A little bit cooler this morning, it's 52 out.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  06:33:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
3 below and wind chills at 20 below. Could be worse...

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  10:23:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by LisaOV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I go out almost every morning with a wet head if my shop is an hour away. I have never had my hair break off. I don't like the frizz I get from drying my hair with a dryer so I just go out right after I wash my head. I have never been sick from a wet head at -20 either.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  06:11:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
4 below and no wind!
Today is pajama day at school and the kids are going ice skating on the lake in their jammies! That should be interesting! (of course, they are all wearing long johns and sweaters UNDER the pajamas AND they'll have their snow pants on too !!!)

Servanne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums