snow and more snow right now.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  04:50:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, you are correct. "Cold" to us northerners is a far cry from "cold" to southerners. I don't even put on a coat until it is below 45 degrees. It feels like spring. I am from Cincinnati and lived in Chicago for a while. Talk about cold, visit Chicago. It's the wind chill that will get you. You can get frostbite in only seconds.

Of course, "heat" is another story. People from up north do not know what hot is until they visit Houston.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  07:04:44 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a good 18" of NEW snow that fell overnight!!! Wind is blowing and huge snow drifts are forming. The temps arent that bad yet, but are to drop down into the single digits as the day goes on. I live right off one of the main highways that goes through our town, and generally there is a steady stream of travellers. NOT today. The snow plow has gone thru and only a few people brave enough to get out there, following it. Bet more than not,most couldnt get out of their driveway. I cant tell you how many times weve had weather warnings of expected huge amounts of snow predicted and, all we get is a light dusting to 3". This one is a total shock, and all in one drop.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  10:34:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
and more snow and more snow and some ice ............
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  4:58:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Stop!! You ladies are giving me nightmares of Christmas past.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  7:58:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
About 10 inches here of new snow between yesterday and this morning. Wind chills are at about 25 below zero right now and it is COLD! I had to shovel a path for the dog to go outside. She's a boxer, so not a short dog, but she could not walk through the snow drifts. Did I mention it was COLD? Brrr....

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  11:05:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
58 right now. Frost the last couple of nights...BRRRRR! At 9pm tue. night, it was 36. I think it went down to 28. Rain a couple of days ago, more coming tonight. We need it bad.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  8:01:47 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
We went to Prescott, Arizona for the week. Prescott is Arizona's Christmas city. Saw a parade, the courthouse lighting, a music fest (where all the stores in town stay open, but not for sales, each has live music and snacks), a ginger bread house contest, etc. It was great.

However, on Monday we got 5 inches of snow and lost power in the cabin. We were without power or heat till Friday night. Did not have to worry about the food in the fridge spoiling as it was 40 degrees in the cabin.

Yes, we could have left, but we had a great time regardless.

As for the question, I'm back in Tucson and it is in the high 60s.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  04:58:32 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
40 degrees would feel like a heat wave for us back here in MN/WI. When the temps hit that degree here, we wear just a light jacket or sweatshirt. Having been in warmer climate states such as AZ., I get a kick out of the locals all bundled up. Can always tell who is an out of state visitor, cant you? MORE snow and freezing rain predicted for today here. Theyre saying up to six more inches of this white stuff! No worry about not having a white Christmas this year.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  8:19:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
High today was 71. It was 26 overnight, though. My Christmas cactus--all outdoors down here--are going nuts. I have never seen so many blooms on any of these plants since Grandma was alive. She had them when my dad was a kid and she rotated how they were watered so at least one plant bloomed each month of the year.

I have six of them (there were dozens--divided among the cousins) and they sure like this weather!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MegRentrak
Valued Contributor

Portland, OR
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  12:10:50 PM  Visit MegRentrak's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rain, with a little drizzle thrown in, and a side of mist.

Meg Rodriguez
Rentrak Corporation
mco@rentrak.com
ms.rentrak.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  02:57:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
On our way to 15 inches of snow here in Northern VA.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

NancyG
Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  1:57:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sunshine with a touch of cold this afternoon ... enough to wear a sweater when outside. But it is to get really cold tonight -- freezing temperatures. For us Texans, that IS cold !
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  2:12:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday we had some sleet with a bit of snow on top of the sleet. Today the roads were just wet (will probably have ice tonight, but will be drivable during the day) and some of this sleet has already melted.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  6:36:49 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
So far, the big blizzard we were to get is a fizzle. We got about 3" of the white stuff last night, freezing rain today and tonight. I just got home from my daughters, and it is drizzling, but the roads werent too bad. Guess later on were to get more snow, but, will we get the 6-10" predicted---doubt it.Have to thank all those that had to give up time with their families, to keep us safe on the roads, theyve done a marvelous job.
Go to Top of Page

NancyG
Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  8:53:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In north Texas we are having fits with the weather! Snow, winds, and ice designated parts of our area as "Blizzard conditions." My daughter and son-in-law quit their drive and are now in a motel because the roads have closed. A normal six hour drive (includes restroom breaks) turned into an 11 hour trip except they still have 2 more hours tomorrow morning if the roads are okay. Jack-knifed semi's caused most of the problems. Needless to say, they are frustrated !
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:09:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
in South GA, last night 20 and a high of 47....in the south that is super cold, brrrr

Chell
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  5:31:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had 13 water mains break yesterday and schools are canceled tomorrow in all of Caddo Parish. After spending most of my life in IL, I don't find the weather right now to be the most horrible winter--but my friends and neighbors who have always lived in LA can't imagine anything worse. Teens overnight and 20-30s during the day for the next several days is making this the coldest winter since who knows when.

Much of the South is not prepared for this kind of cold. And I do admit, that for me personally, anything under 85 is colder than my ideal and once I get cold, I really don't care to hear about wind chill, etc. It just makes me feel worse. I understand that the below zero temps I endured in the North is MUCH colder than what we are experiencing here, but darn it. Cold is uncomfortable in a state that doesn't even sell winter coats.

Nope. We have decided we are not going to purchase this uninsulated home in which we currently live. The hunt is on!

Edited to add--according to the news last night the total number of broken water mains was up to 17. They are replacing the old iron ones with PVC, which should hold up better the next time this happens. A representative of the city was interviewed and he speculated that we will have much worse problems should the bitter cold actually last 72 hours or more.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LindaE
Valued Contributor

Billings, MT
USA
203 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  5:07:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Minus 28 all around the Billings area last night. School busses did not run today, as so many would not start. And yes, we are looking forward to the expected warmup to mid- to upper- 30's on the weekend! Mud will be come a blessing...

LindaE
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  07:45:09 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to add my chuckles also. When watching the evening news and noticing "winter coats, gloves and ear muffs" being worn in FLORIDA! Local friends home for Christmas, said they werent going back until they could do more than sit in the house, like the friends in Florida are doing. Oh yes, and then there are the states that dont get much snow, or none at all. They have no idea how to address driving on slick, snowy roads. That's hillarious!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums