Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  08:29:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My Facebook Florida friends (I grew up there) are all freaked out that it's cold and in the - oh my gosh - 20's. But you have to remember that houses and buildings are not built for the cold down there and no one has the clothes for stuff like that.
In Florida if its anything under 75'F its just plain chilly.

With that said I will say that its about 3 here in MN and I'm not going anywhere today (can take the Floridan out of Florida but you can't warm her up! LOL)
Go to Top of Page

MicheleinFLA
Star Contributor

FL
USA
334 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  11:51:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for defending us LisaOV. Truth is we're just chickens! It gets to 60 and the heavy coats are out. It has been in the 20's and 30's - and we're actually expecting snow flurries tonight. It is ALL anyone is talking about - we're all charging our cameras and ready to photograph that foreign white stuff.

If you haven't already seen it - check out the iguanas falling out of trees because of the cold!!! You'll get a good chuckle.

http://www.wesh.com/health/22166107/detail.html

Michele
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  1:09:43 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do homes in Florida have heat of any kind, other than from the sun??? It is hard to phantom temperatures getting so cold in an area used to beautiful weather. Ive never been to Florida, but have spent a lot of time in AZ. They too, have experienced much colder weather recently. At least the homes there are equiped with heat. My sister and hubby are presently there, and have had to put plastic on the windows, as it has been cold, and the wind crazy strong.
Go to Top of Page

MicheleinFLA
Star Contributor

FL
USA
334 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  2:39:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by JudyK

Do homes in Florida have heat of any kind, other than from the sun??? [quote]

Of course. Newer (and some older) homes have central heat and air - mostly electric. (cha-ching!!!) However, there are tons of mobile homes down here and many of those have nothing to go with their paper thin walls. They often use space heaters which unfortunately cause a lot of fires. We're lucky. We have central heat and a wood burning fireplace.

Michele
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

.KimSVision
Star Contributor

Orange County, CA
USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  4:53:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just heard that Nebraska has a 50 degree below zero wind-chill factor.

That's all I can say is......... Good thing we have Global Warming, or it would be closer to -100 below zero wind chill.

Brrrr!

Stay warm everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  3:25:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am pleased to report Shreveport is returning to it's normal balmy winter--and I hope that cold stuff stays in the northern regions for the rest of the season! My mother-in-law tells me the total number of broken water mains reported on the news was 60. The repair crews have logged over 1200 hours overtime so far this month. I am hoping the city has a contingency stash of funds to pay them, but I won't be surprised if they are taking comp or flex time instead of money.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

.KimSVision
Star Contributor

Orange County, CA
USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  6:03:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Be careful for what you wish for.......

Southern California, which is in the middle of a severe drought, is due for 6-7 days straight of rain. (At least on the Orange County coast where I live)

Looks like I may need to pull out some of my hobbies for the days that I'm not working.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  02:08:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
55 Balmy degrees yesterday. In the 50's today. January Thaw!!

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  02:47:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had upwards of 18-20 inches Friday- Saturday. Some areas around DC got 30 inches. We will be getting 5 more inches starting tomorrow!!!

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  03:39:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was 28 yesterday and very nice. Lightly falling snow. I saw at least 20 people out in shorts. And one person in shorts and snow boots (which looked a little odd).
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  11:42:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
With two inches of snow accumulation you would think there was a blizzard. My daughter made a snowman about her height before I even got out of bed this morning. (School was canceled for today before they even let out yesterday). Of course, the snow is melting already and the snowman is not likely to make it through the day, but she had a blast.

Sunday we are supposed to enjoy 50 degree weather for the last Mardi Gras parade.

Edited to add: 24 hours later the only snow in sight is what is left of the snowman, melted down to half his original size.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

RepSusan
Valued Contributor

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  6:41:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In NorthWestern Pennsylvania we have over 2 feet of snow, most of which has fallen in the past 36 hours.

Winter has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  03:08:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
West side of Cleveland (me) has 2 inches of snow, East side has over 12 inches, and it's 16 degrees in Columbus where my daughter at OSU does not have her long underwear.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  06:40:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Had to scrape the windshield today for the first time this season. There was just enough frost that when the sun hit it, I couldn't see through it, but it was very easy to scrape. The radio said it was 31 degrees as I drove to work with a high expected to be around 50.

Yesterday they predicted record-breaking lows overnight for the next couple of days, but I missed what that number was supposed to be. All in all, seems pretty darn mild to me. Colder than I want, but much better than if I still lived in IL.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  1:11:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's 48 degrees in Houston but feels colder due to the dampness. There is a heavy cloud cover and it is very dreary. Good nap weather.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  1:39:17 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its about 22 degrees out there right now, with some BIG weather changes to start late tonight. Theyre predicting upwards of a foot of that white stuff, possible blizzard conditions, and of course, nasty driving conditions. I believe it was also reported those to the south of us, towards the state capital are looking at worse conditions. Ive already prepared myself for hunkering down for the weekend, by picking up those items we may run out of, or need. Darn--wish I was in AZ instead of here!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  1:55:55 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Have we GOT snow!! 16" here since late last night, blizzard conditions, with temp in the low 20's. Snowplows have been taken off all roads, and yet, there are still people out there heading to who knows where, hopefully home, IF the Malls closed. My son has been out plowing our LONG driveway, plus, a few of the neighbors, whose snowblowers just take too long. By the time he's finished with ours its time to start all over again, the snow is coming down so heavy. LisaOV, how are you doing over there in MN.? Youre snowfall is expected to be 2'! Heard Mpls Airport has cancelled all flights. also.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  6:14:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
More then 20 inches over here, BUT I am recovering from eye surgery last week (my 8th eye surgery woohoo) and inside on pain meds....resting all weekend and cozy toasty warm!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Laura_In_Az
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
307 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  7:55:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

The reason why I NOW live in Tucson. It was supposed to be 80 today. I opened my windows and did some yard work...Since 80 is now cool for me-thin blood...I wore a long-sleeved shirt outside..!!..of course..come summer, I don't do yard work since it's over 100!
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  8:02:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today it was in the 50s, tomorrow in the low 40s and in the 30s for the rest of the week. Of course at night it's supposed to be in the 20s all week. Yesterday and today we had rain.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums