Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  06:01:53 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Latest Weather Service reports state my city got 20"!! This morning it is super COLD! My son has a plow on his truck, so he had plowed a trail down the length of our street for the neighbors to get in/out, just in case of an emergency ,or those having to go to work, keeping it clear for most of the storm. The city plows went through last night late. We had one neighbor complain they left a humungus pile of snow across their driveway, and made the city plows come back to clear it!! Then, she called the cops to report my son plowed the street blaming his efforts to contributing. Thankfully, the city and law enforcement felt quite the opposite.
LISAOV, check your vent post for more.
Go to Top of Page

Jody B
Valued Contributor

Mankato, MN
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  10:57:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
More snow coming here, 2"-5" more, on top of the 12" we got on Saturday. The children are happy!

Jody
Shopper in Southern Minnesota-the Little Twin Cities-A Lot Minnesota (Mankato) and beyond
Now Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  06:51:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
While I thoroughly enjoyed it, it just seemed wrong that I was comfortable while outside around midnight last night in a tank top (taking out the trash and inspecting a fallen tree in the back yard). It was 67 degrees as I drove into work last night and is expected to drop to 35 overnight, with a high of 50 tomorrow. The weather down here has just been weird the last couple of weeks.

Hope all ya'll in the frozen north can keep warm. I certainly don't miss those winter days (or nights) in IL.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  10:35:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The work to clean up the latest 22" of that white stuff is still ongoing. A lot of the cities streets still havent been plowed, and people are whining and complaining. It is 20 degrees today and cloudy. There is another storm that just missed us by about 30 miles, oh that makes us happy! My neighbor across the street called the cops, and city officials on my son sunday night! We have no where to plow snow except across the street in a vacant wooded lot. The cop came over and talked to us, and said she has nothing better to do than complain about every little thing. We had to laugh, when I asked him what could we do to stop it, he replied that anything hed suggest wouldnt be legal. Guess she called every department at city hall trying to locate the right person, and resorted to the cops. Wait til the next storm, plowing will change, and shell find out she should have shut her yap when the city plow goes through and dumps a ton of snow in her driveway, that doesnt make it that far after my son plows. Bet some of you have neighbors you just gotta love for the same reasons.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  1:33:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
a HUGE warm up...it's 21'F right now...that's 21 above zero..Yippee..
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  5:03:48 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bikini weather, right?
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  01:45:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Compared to some we had a mini storm with just a couple of inches of snow down here. It does look pretty. Its in the 20's here.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  12:00:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember about 15 or 20 years ago I spent New Year's with a friend in Arkansas. When I returned to IL the plow had been by and there was over six foot of snow near my front door, with a path my co-worker had made that was just big enough for him to make it to the door and open the door enough to squeeze through. My garage door had drifts about my shoulder height. And it was all crusted over.

I had to shovel from the inside of the garage outward to get the car in. And I have never been so thankful for my co-worker having made it so I could get into the house.

No, I don't miss northern winters. But I do have happy memories of making snow creatures with my daughter. We had an awesome dragon that wound around the side of the house one year. About 12 feet long and five feet tall--started with what the plow left behind.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  3:58:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got some really great huge big monster boots that I love wearing and stomping around the snow in....so far the cold has not effected me too much.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  4:28:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Currently 14 with 70% chance of snow coming in tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  05:08:14 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its 10 degrees and we are looking at MORE snow starting around noon today. Theyre saying ANOTHER 5-7". Plus, freezing rain later on. More snow is predicted just in time for Xmas ,making it very difficult for those that will travel. With this much snow, we can definitely look at flooding in the spring. LisaOV, you should really enjoy tronsing around in the white stuff now. In ALL my years, I have NEVER seen this much white stuff!YUK! I hate winter. Im heading for AZ the end of January for 3-4 months, and can hardly wait!
Go to Top of Page

Jody B
Valued Contributor

Mankato, MN
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  08:40:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Snowing here, with 5-8" predicted. School called off early again. Lucky for us, since daughter is sick and missed only 1/2 day of school.

School has been called off a total of 2 full days in the past two weeks with late starts, early closings, and canceled day of school.

Jody
Shopper in Southern Minnesota-the Little Twin Cities-A Lot Minnesota (Mankato) and beyond
Now Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  10:09:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Snowing here too... but it seems my daughter's school never closes. She had school all last week even when St Paul schools were closed. Wish today had been cancelled - she has a doctors appointment later today and it would have been nice to not have to rush from school to that. Oh well...
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  6:34:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We actually have some snow. Not much, but a little bit. Of course it shows up the day after Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  06:51:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mighty cold for Louisiana today. There's a hard frost on the ground that does not appear to be going away very quickly. The sun is brightly glinting off the ice crystals on the grass.

My daughter is not at all happy with me that we are sending her to camp this week. I assured her most of the day will be spent indoors and the kids will not be expected to go swimming in the lake or the pool!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  06:29:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It actually snowed yesterday! We still have less than an inch visible on the ground, and since it rained for several hours first, we have a nasty amount of ice covering everything and no equipment to salt the roads or scrape the surface. Schools are cancelled.

I'm home today, anyway, waiting for a plumber to finish the job of replacing a broken hot water pipe. I wonder if he will show up today, since the pool of water we had noticed and that he needs to work in is now frozen? Of course he was supposed to return with a jackhammer to get through the concrete, so maybe he could use that on the ice?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  8:24:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Would crappy be an inappropiate word to use?? Cold and freezing rain. I don't like it. I live in the South because I don't like cold weather. Brr...Brr...Grr...Grr.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  06:39:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Seems like an excellent word to me. I-49 was still closed this morning and it took a lot longer to get to work than usual. Lots of slow-moving traffic. The roads seemed clear, but maybe there was still ice on the bridges. They are predicting a hard freeze from 9p to 9a, with the daytime high at 37. Maybe I should have moved farther south?

But that would be hurricane country.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  07:52:10 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The news we are getting upnorth regarding the situation you in the south are experiencing with freezing is that is will be DAYS before it clears up for you. This winter has been a memorable one for all of us. Massive flooding out west, extreme snowfall to us in the midwest and east coast, and those that generally enjoy fall like temperatures, receiving freezing rain and snow. Its been a challenging winter for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  09:19:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--what disappointing news. Oh well, I still recognize that while the cold is unusual for the area, it is nothing compared to the cold in the northern states. Hope everyone stays safe.

Once the plumber left yesterday, telling me we should have hot water in about 45 minutes, I gleefully anticipated the jacuzzi. However, just as the time ran out a rep from the water company knocked on the door to tell me he was notifying everyone for several blocks that the water was being shut off for several hours so they could repair a broken main. I didn't know there were any left to break after so many last winter!

Water came back on around 11pm--too late for my child to sit in a bath. Poor dear will be so disappointed to have to take a bath this afternoon! And I plan to wash her hair!! Double whammy.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums