Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  05:56:50 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, did you receive a large amount of the freezing rain? On last nights Evening News With Brian Williams, there was a segment showing Atlanta city employee's with ice chippers in hand, breaking up what appeared to be 2-3" depth ice from their frozen streets. Also shown, were a number of vehicles going down hill streets, that were ice covered. I cant imagine myself being so brave as to even consider trying that, and would go the long way around to avoid those particular roadways. Locally, we had an accumulation of freezing rain also, with four roads leading into the downtown area, all down hills. Not one of them were open to traffic, all had barriers denying access. It might be fun to take a ride on a sled down them, but cant imagine how dangerous it would be in a car/truck sliding into one another, and other obstacles. It has to be a real challenge for the sand/salt truck drivers. For you in the south, it has to be even worse, because the majority of your cities dont own snow/ice removal equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  06:53:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thankfully Mother Nature spared us that. I don't know how cold it got overnight, but they were predicting 17 as the low yesterday--but I am betting that was pretty accurate. The computer tells me it is 23 degrees right now.

I do know that my kitchen hot water pipe is frozen. (I am so tired of dealing with water issues). I planned to run the dishwasher after breakfast this morning, but that will have to wait until I get home from my daughter's choir rehearsal this afternoon. I didn't even wake my husband to tell him.

And hopefully it hasn't/doesn't burst.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  08:14:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It'a 24 in Cleveland, we got 4 inches last night, and 6 more in this blizzard today. Hopefully tomorrow will be a snow day-
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  1:02:26 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, have you thought of putting heat tapes around your water pipes that are exposed? Those would keep the water lines from freezing up. Most hardware, or home improvement stores would carry,if not, you could order them online. They are economically priced. The electric/water companies up here advise us, even with basements, to let our water faucets trickle a light water stream at night to prevent freezing.The fee plumbers charge would make me think to do something to save money, and prevent the damages.
Go to Top of Page

RepSusan
Valued Contributor

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  3:09:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey DarleneH,
We're catching some of that lake effect stuff, too, just south of Erie. Isn't it funny that as adults we're still wishing for snow days?

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  06:55:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--I lived in Illinois most of my life, most recently from 1985 to 2007, and for the last 10 years owned a home that was over 100 years old. I do understand how to winterize. However, my landlord doesn't. And he doesn't want my advice or my maintenance assistance. We are looking for a house to buy and I plan to put all the knowledge gleaned as a previous home-owner to use.

I just don't understand how this house could exist for as long as it has without anyone ever protecting pipes, sealing doors and windows against drafts, etc.

As for current weather, the cold snap continues. On the news this morning they reported that at least four homeless individuals have died as a result of the unusual cold.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  08:55:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarleneH

It'a 24 in Cleveland, we got 4 inches last night, and 6 more in this blizzard today. Hopefully tomorrow will be a snow day-

We have about 36 inches and haven't had a snow day yet...
Go to Top of Page

RepSusan
Valued Contributor

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  09:21:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is that total inches for the week or so far this winter? We got about 36 inches in about a 4 day period in the second week in December. Two two hour delays and one day off for the kids. I would rather get snow days after Christmas than before.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  04:06:42 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
ANOTHER big snowstorm came in late Saturday night dumping 15" of the white stuff as of last night, with possibly of an additional 3 more inches expected today to finish the storm out. The snow plows havent been out yet. The noise from the plow scraping the road surface generally wakes the neighbors, as each truck goes up the on ramp to enter on the highway close by. Our residential streets dont get plowed until after 3" has accumulated, today we may see the plow late in the day in our neighborhood. If under 3" of accumulated snow, the trucks may pass through, dumping sand AFTER the snow has been compacted from vehicles. So far, locally our schools havent had to take any "snow days". Although, that may be a different story today, because of the number of teachers not available to teach, due to teachers protests taking place at the states capital.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  07:24:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lots and lots of snow...but of course no school today because it's a holiday. I talked to the teacher and she told me the only reason they ever close down the school here is if the heat goes out. Otherwise no matter what the temp outside or the snow fall they are always open.

I didn't know this but my husband said that in the cities (like in downtowns, etc) they close the schools more often because they don't have anywhere to put the snow. Where I live they have plenty of room to pile it up.

This winter we are going on like 50 something inches of snow...
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  07:26:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow--because Louisiana does not have snow removal equipment or the ability to put down sand or salt, we have actually used two snow days. We had an very unusual stretch of sub-freezing weather (that would have seemed very mild to all up north). With the lack of available winter wear and ice scrapers in the stores down here, not to mention the many drivers with no experience in driving on ice, it is just as well that schools were cancelled.

But now it is in the 70s and beautiful. People are getting ready to plant their spring gardens. Judy, I don't envy you that 15" at all.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  6:17:02 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The day has wound down with an additional 3". Our residential area was just plowed, otherwise not a single neighbor was able to get out to go to work this AM. Today was a day off for the kids as its a holiday "Presidents Day". My gosh, as kids we never got this type of day off. I just found out the kids even had Valentines Day off!! I took the chance to run into town tonight to get my weeks supply of Starbucks. Roads were still a mess,snow covered, icy, but passable.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  02:48:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are having light snow and we got about 2 inches in our part of Northern VA.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  11:43:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We got about 18 inches this weekend. My husband was out there every hour to plow (he seems to enjoy doing it and has a new snow plow thingy). School today of course, but that wasn't an issue...the streets are plowed and salted and the city even does our sidewalks.

My daughter didn't get Valentine's Day off....I've never heard of that. When I was a kid in Tampa we never had snow days of course but we did have "bomb scare days"....it seemed like every time we had a test or even a quiz someone would call in a bomb and we'd have to all go outside and stand around for three hours or go home. With caller ID and all that maybe that doesn't happen anymore but it was an every month type of thing when I was a kid.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  04:46:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, a city that takes care of the residents sidewalks?? How great is that. I thought it was great to hear a city picked up residents garbage, leaves and tree trimmings free. Well we all know FREE doesnt mean what we think it does, as it is included in the taxes they pay. But to not have to worry about getting out there to remove snow by a deadline has to be a good feeling.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  02:15:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It poured cats and dogs yesterday. It was warm but boy was it wet. Today will be mild in the 50's. Spring we are heading your way.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  06:53:46 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Light snow overnight, but ANOTHER big storm expected with ANOTHER 6-10" of the white stuff expected. This winter weve had a record snow accumulation of 59"! We are looking forward to spring, although weather reports so far say this season is going to be much cooler and wet! Another summer when it doesnt feel like we had one.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  6:57:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess we've had over 76 inches of snow this winter....I'm getting a bit sick of it. I want to take a trip....was thinking about Canada or Chicago....they both have snow, but at least it wouldn't be my own snow...I want something different.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  06:47:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa--come on down to Louisiana. We have springtime!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  7:37:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was 49 this morning in Cleveland-but 33 now with 6-10 inches of snow coming. The airport has had 60 in of snow so far this year, but our eastern snow belt has had alot more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums