Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  07:31:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do we have any members in Hawaii? Or Japan? The news I heard was sketchy, with an 8.9 quake in Japan that resulted in a tsunami--casualty count not available. The tsunami may be headed toward Hawaii, but too early to be sure.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  07:04:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the 40's today...I have all the windows open. It's very nice....spring is here...I hope!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  07:20:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
First day of spring. The sun is out and it will be in the 40's today!! I LOVE spring!!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  10:21:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thunderstorm last night ...it sounded wonderful!! I'm not a huge fan of spring...too messy...but this year I'm looking forward to it. We've ordered blueberry bushes and apple trees. Can't wait for our garden to start!!
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  8:45:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was in the mid 80's today and our low is 62. It's gonna start getting too hot real soon.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  06:52:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was such a gorgeous day yesterday that my daughter and I bagged over 20 big black garbage sacks of leaves out of the flower beds. We were both a bit sweaty and dirty, but the temps have not climbed up enough to make that kind of yard work uncomfortable. It got up to 80 most days last week. Gorgeous weather--but a bit of rain would be nice to knock the tree pollen down. My black truck is looking pretty yellow right now.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:18:04 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cloudy today, temps in the 40's! ANOTHER darn snowstorm with 5" expected tomorrow into wednesday! Isnt Spring here yet???
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  08:52:43 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today is TRULY a nasty one! We got hit with a real huffin puffin storm beginning yesterday, through the night last night, and its still not done. The snow/sleet was blowing so hard at the windows the noise sounded like some kind of an animal was trying to get in, or had made it in. My bed sits right under a double window, and believe me when I say, I crawled out of bed to check the noise, as it sounded so close and real. This morning, we could hardly open the door to get outside. The snow is packed, and loaded with water, making it very difficult to move. My son brought the snowblower up on the deck, after attempting to shovel it, and even then, the snowblower had a hard time moving this stuff.We have 5" with high winds and blowing, plus whatever lands today to add to the accumulation. Oh, and other news, our local television station is down, due to their 2,000 ft tower blowing down! Luckily this one isnt located near residences, so no one was injured, but we have lost all NBC programming, local news/weather/sports. I missed the last half hour of Biggest Loser when the screen went blank, changed back to satellite to hopefully see the ending,but to no avail. I was happy to go on the computer this morning to watch the whole show though. Spring cant come fast enough!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  12:14:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sunny and 74. I am working on my garden today..... staking up tomatoes and peppers. We may get some winds and heavy rain from Irene tomorrow and Monday.
Go to Top of Page

.KimSVision
Star Contributor

Orange County, CA
USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  12:57:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
95 and dreadfully hot in Orange County, CA. 20 degrees cooler in Laguna Beach, only 10 miles west. Wish I were there right now.
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  1:37:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I spend my summers in New York and right now I am sitting here wishing that Hurricane Irene would just go away. It has been an eery sight the past few days seeing the City being emptied with no way in or out at this moment. The weather is hot and muggy.

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  08:36:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, in Houston, it was 109. There has only been one other day in Houston's history that it got that hot.

Today is predicted to reach 108. It always feels a lot hotter than it actually is by about 5 degrees.

Folks! ... That's HOT!

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  09:17:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shreveport has been experiencing record-breaking highs all summer--most days for the last two months have been over 100 degrees, reaching as high as 112 one time (but usually 103-107). Coupled with the drought, this is not the sultry, lush landscape I moved to in 2007. We had a huge storm a couple of days ago with lots of broken limbs and a few downed trees. Unfortunately, the wind was greater than the actual rain, so our bayous are still almost dry and the water use ban is still in effect.

I hope New York and surrounding states don't experience much damage from Irene.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  1:41:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a severe weather alert in Houston. At 3:40 PM 8/28 it is 108 and feels like 115.

My A/C is running constantly and can't get below 81. I sure hope the electrical grids hold out. If many people would have to go without A/C I think a lot of people might die in this heat.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  2:30:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you lose electricity and the heat gets unbearable, sit in a cool bath to keep your body temp down.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  3:16:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No damage here from Irene. We have electric and all of my plants are ok. I went to work today too. AOK. Hurricane Andrew is one of the main reasons I left Fort Lauderdale, Fla.!!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  4:52:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne - Re: Cool Bath - That is what I would do or pour a bucket of water over my head and get my hair and clothes wet. That is what I used to do when we went camping. It is amazing how being wet from head to toe will keep you cooled down quite a bit.

Another thing I used to do was fill a little kid's swimming pool with water and sit in it and just splash myself.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  10:23:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JuanitaJ,

I used to live in Fort Lauderdale and the AC did not work at all. It was unbearable so I took 3 cold showers in 1 day. That helped.

We are getting rain and more rain from what is left from the storm Lee.. [big sigh]
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  3:23:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has finally cooled down quite a bit. The high today was 89. Almost felt like it was fall weather, that's such a big change from what we've been experiencing lately.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  06:07:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has cooled down here in Houston also. The mornings have been a crisp 60 and no hotter than about 90 in the afternoon. It is quite bearable compared to what we have been having. We still have no rain and the wildfires are out of control. Yesterday I could not get to my intended area because the roads leading in were closed.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums