Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  2:24:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I heard on the radio that there are fires on our side of the border, now. Nowhere near as devastating as what Texas is experiencing, though. Just warnings that people in the NW corner of Louisiana need to be ready to leave home at a moment's notice.

Also heard that about 1000 homes in Texas have been destroyed. There is speculation that at least one fire here was started by a cigarette tossed out a car window on the interstate. Haven't heard what started the many fires in Texas.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  4:49:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Quite a time in VA the last two-three weeks or so. Earthquake, Hurricane Irene and now Lee has paid us a visit. The weather has been wet,wet,wet.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  2:33:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sunny and 70's all day. I worked outside in my garden.... transplantd 5 pots of gernaiums and brought them in the house. We had a few frosts so I cut all of the dead branches off my tomato plants and transplanted some marigolds. What a gorgeous day!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  2:47:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow--all the tomatoes down here died out in late June and early July, even if people were trying to keep them watered. It has just been too darn hot for their health. But it's been in the 90's the last few days and it feels wonderful.

There's been very little need to mow the lawn this summer.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

NancyG
Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  12:09:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not mowing the yard per se, but the easiest way to get rid of the leaves that fall from the trees with all this heat has been to mow them. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm the weird lady on the block .....
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  03:28:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
NancyG, you are right about mowing leaves. That is the easiest way. I used to do that a lot. I live in an area now where I mostly get pine needles. I love to rake needles.

We have had a break in the weather here in Houston. I think the fires are out and we are out of the 100-plus temps. We have had some rain but not enough to make a dent in the drought. We have some sad sights here ... dried up lakes ... cows getting stuck in the mud ... a lot of trees turning brown. We are hoping for more rain, naturally.

One good thing that has come of the dry lake beds is that it has exposed things like stolen cars and other trash that needs to be removed.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  07:29:43 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Having read the posts of those living in the south makes us up north feel very fortunate, yet,very sad for you. Somehow, reading your comments makes the situation very real. The news of course shows video of the extensive drought experienced by the farmers, but nothing about the many lakes or other damages caused.
Here in WI., we are experiencing fall like weather already. They say two weeks ahead of schedule, but it feels like the end of October, as jackets are needed most days and, definitely in the evening as the temps fall in to the low 40's. Weve had light frost, and some trees are turning colors early. Our spring started very late, growing times were short, and now, it feels like snow could fly sooner than we generally expect it. Its been so chilly Ive been thinking seriously of storing all the patio furniture early, just in case. It has been so darn cool out lately, one doesnt want to be outside for any length of time.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  06:32:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All the reports I have seen indicate we can expect an unusually warm and dry winter down here. We're in Louisiana, for goodness sakes! How much warmer can a winter get without it just being a continuation of summer? And I don't even want to imagine a dry winter. We desperately need rain. Much as I hate the cold, I think a little snow, ice, or sleet would even help.

Last I heard they were reporting we were sixteen inches behind the average rainfall this year. The bayous are dried up and the duck pond is a series of duck puddles, with the water level at last ten feet below normal. We went to the park the other day and all the ducks, geese, and swans were huddled into one puddle, with no room to stretch their wings. I saw no turtles or fish. (I imagine with the water almost completely gone any fish that remained have already been eaten by the birds).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  11:44:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are 15,000 dead trees here in Houston due to the drought. The city is asking for $4.5 million to cut them down. We had a little rain but not enough to make a difference.

We are supposed to get cooler weather this weekend.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

NancyG
Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  1:31:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's a tad chilly here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area -- 91 degrees at 3:30 PM on September 27 !! At least it isn't over 100 which has been the norm. But those sweaters in storage aren't even whispering my name. I'm thinking all the new houses can increase room sizes because we definitely don't need coat closets.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  6:51:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My mother-in-law was notified in the spring that the insurance inspector had been by the house and she needed to cut the branches back that were touching or close to her roof. She did so. The inspector returned and took pictures in early summer. The photos showed nothing touching or close to touching the roof. She was notified in late August that her homeowner's insurance will not be renewed on November 1 because she has tree branches overhanging her home. The only tree that fits that description is a crepe myrtle, which will never grow big enough to cause much damage from falling. Guess the insurance agencies are getting ready for a lot of trees that died this summer to start falling on top of houses and cars at people's homes.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  10:57:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is 39 now and it is supposed to snow tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  4:29:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Overnight lows have been in the upper 70's the last couple of nights, but the highs remain just under 100. Guess this is what we can expect for the fall this year.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  8:51:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was in the 70's today and will be upper 70's, lower 80's all week. It was really windy the other day so I have a ton of leaves in my yard already. My greyhounds love fall. They don't care for the hot summers.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  5:46:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Driving around Houston and looking at all the dead trees near the street and the power lines, it is easy to see why these trees need to be removed asap. Think what a danger it would be for the trees to start falling against those power lines.

There are many other trees dead on private property but not near the lines. I guess the city will allow those trees to remain until they just fall. It does not appear they will really hurt anything.

As for temperatures, we are having cool weather in the morning. It is hot in the afternoon but not the 100's we were having. I think fall might get here afterall. Can't wait.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  6:34:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's been in the upper 80's all week, very strange.
It snowed here this time last year. I'd rather it be in the 80's!!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  11:35:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are forecast to get snow this week but tonight will be 36 or so.
Today is very windy and cloudy/sunny.... 23 mph gusts
Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  3:42:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is it snowing for anyone?
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  4:00:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I woke up to large snowflakes in New York City and we have had thunder snow all day. It is being called a, “Freak storm.” The forecasters have changed the amount predicted from 1” to 6”- 8” inches of snow by morning. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be in the 60s. It is weird because the leaves are still on the trees.

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

KariK
Contributor

Minneapolis, MN
USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  4:32:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I heard 1 million+ without power. I have a lot of friends on the east coast and they are getting hammered :(
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums