Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  09:57:54 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
While I dont have any friends or relatives out east, I wonder how many are receiving the projected amounts of snow. It never fails, whether the news reports are from our area ,or elsewhere it seems they always photograph a section of a city block that shows the most accumulation, yet, we can see there may only be a few inches instead of feet. News reported last night one county out east got 20" plus. Anyone in the area that can verify your snowfall amounts?
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  01:22:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Up in New England especially in my home state of CT were I was born and raised they got clobbered. The storm was worse for those in central and Northwestern CT. The storm was not a coastal storm. Schools in some areas will be closed the whole week. They received 5 inches up to two feet in the northwester part of the state. I have friends and family who have been sitting in cold houses. The weight of all that snow over trees with leaves on them brought all those limbs and wires down.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  04:04:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our weather is perfect today. If I could have the same weather all the time, it would be what we have today ... 55 degrees with a light wind. I went out for the paper this morning and felt like just standing in the middle of the yard. It felt wonderful.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  04:35:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday was beautiful. Around 75 I am guessing. Most folk were running around in short sleeves with shirts not glued to them with sweat. However, a storm blew in last night and I heard the heat running every time I awoke. The predictions were for at least a 20 degree drop in temp, but I don't know how long that is supposed to last.

The storm was loud, but it could just as likely have been the wind blowing the acorns onto the roof and windows as it could have been rain I heard!

I haven't stepped out into the dark to see if the ground is damp. We've had such a drought that even if it rained I may not be able to see evidence of it. The ground just slurps up any water thrown toward it. You can almost see it lifting to meet the drops!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:00:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
sunny and 40's
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  12:50:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well--after suffering a drought all summer and fall, we've bought a house and it has rained almost every day since closing on December 16. However, most days it has been fairly warm--a few days in the fifties.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  04:10:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a dusting of snow-but were suppose to get a blizzard. It must be running late. That's okay because my daughter has to go back to college and I was hoping it would hold off until she gets there.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  05:22:50 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I think you might get your wish. According to the weather news here radar indicates the winter storm may miss you. Our radar is showing the storm tracking to the east in the far northern part of our state. Our high for the day is expected to be 15 with windchills at -10 with this blistery wind. Locally, we received 1.01" wet snow for New Years Day. We ARENT complaining. Personally, Im lovin just the dusting. IS Spring here yet?
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  10:06:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The last few days we have had mild temperatures (although heavy fog). I have not had to run my heat or A/C so I consider the weather to be perfect.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  06:15:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow--got into the 20's overnight and is still around freezing this morning. We have a hard frost (the first of the season, I believe). This is not fun moving weather, but I recognize that if I were still in IL it would be a lot colder and a lot less fun.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  1:18:25 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very unusual winter here, what little snow we did accumulate is gone, or spottie, due to higher than normal temps. Today its 50! Some residents are complaining that the trees are starting to bud.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  2:23:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was caught in a severe storm yesterday in Houston and barely escaped with my life. The streets flooded badly within minutes. The rain came in "sheets of water" and it was like driving blind. There were large hail stones and three tornadoes. There were 25,000 out of power. Flash floods everywhere. We don't have a drought anymore.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  4:36:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
55'F in St Paul today....no snow. People are wearing shorts and sadly tube tops....
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  6:34:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our drought appears to have ended, as well, but not as spectacularly as Houston. We do have lots of standing water in the yards, but nothing you would truly call flooding, as far as I know. The bayous were all pretty dry, so there was lots of room for the runoff to run off to.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:40:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are having a noreastern here. We have about 1/2" of slushy/icy snow and under that is ice. It should change to snow by tomorrow. I can hardly wait.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  11:12:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't think Chicago was going to have a winter this year but it's snowing! 6-8" expected. This past week it has been between 50-60
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  1:15:40 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spring is gone! Overnight, we received about 2", and its still snowing with strong winds. By noon we had an additional 2" when my son came home for lunch to plow our driveway. The city snowplows had been running steadily past the house all night, but must be sitting in their garage today, as I havent seen a one today go past. Its making travel on the local roads difficult, especially with the ice underneath. Nothing too unusual, after all it IS winter.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  10:09:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Houston has now recovered from the drought but now we are susceptible to flash flooding every time it rains. It is supposed to get up to about 85 today so I guess winter is over. I can't wait for those July to September electric bills again.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  10:51:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Weve been enjoying several days in a row with temps in the 40's. To us thats a heat wave here is WI. It is soooo nice to go outside with just a light weight jacket/sweatshirt on. With weather like this, who needs the warmer climate...lol
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  11:31:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JudyK

Weve been enjoying several days in a row with temps in the 40's. To us thats a heat wave here is WI. It is soooo nice to go outside with just a light weight jacket/sweatshirt on. With weather like this, who needs the warmer climate...lol

We "were" supposed to be in the 50's today but it all changed to a winter storm watch now. We're expecting 6"+ overnight. All this unusually warm weather woke up all the spring bulbs at the end of January already! My hyacinths are slowly 2" peeking through. As long as it doesn't get frigid, the snow will be a good protector. You'd think the crocus' would be the first sign, they're still sleeping. Very unusual winter here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums