Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  1:11:41 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is SNOWING! YUK! According to the weatherman, were to get 1-3" starting tomorrow night. Its too warm right now for any accumulation to stick (35 degrees) but its coming down hard, and the grass is getting white.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  08:18:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had two days last week when it was in the upper 20's overnight. This week is is mild--in the 70's. However, the projected high temp thoughout the week is dropping daily and we may actually have a true stretch of colder weather for our area. It is expected to stay in the lower 40's for several days.

On the one hand it makes me cold to think about it, but on the other I am so pleased to have escaped the cold Illinois winters and know I am blessed with such a mild cold snap! Of course, enough cold to keep the insect population down would be good.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  2:22:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
cold.....
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  06:21:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks ago it was actually cold enough to freeze our water pipes for four days! Pretty unusual for our area. Now it is 30 overnight and 50 during the day. Still colder than usual this year, but certainly not bitter cold! And it hasn't stopped our yard from being full of flowers--which I find a bit weird.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  1:16:59 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is cold here, 14 degrees, with snow moving in tonight. Prediction is for 2-4" and hope this time that's all we get. Our weatherman predicted 2-4" and we got 10" of the white stuff just the other day. Id be very happy if our weather in WI was only 30 at night and in the 50's during the day. It would feel like summer to us.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  07:42:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--I saw in the news that you have more yuck coming. So sorry to read that. We are having an unusually cold winter for Louisiana, but even at its worst it is light years warmer than up north. Mostly I feel bad for the natives, as you really can't buy appropriate cold weather gear down here, unless you order it from the internet. I have wonderful winter coats that I brought with me from Illinois, but my child keeps growing and she is having to layer hoodies under her coat when the temp dips. Not even the Goodwill has really warm coats, since no one down here has any to give away! By next year maybe she'll be big enough to wear some of my coats. She's still swimming in them, but has her eye on all my motorcycle jackets from my younter, wilder, and skinnier days!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  2:00:40 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The weatherman actually had the 2-4" prediction right! Today, we woke to -15 degrees out with a windchill of -30!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  6:39:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was around 45 when I left for work at 7am, but about 35 when I picked my daughter up for a 10am dental appt. I overheard a couple in the school parking lot saying something along the lines of, "We have a different kind of cold down here. It is much colder than cold up north."

????? Really? Is anyone really that stupid? Who cares what the humidity is here! 35 is 35 and wind chill makes it seem colder, no matter where you live. And 35 here today was apparently -15 somewhere else. Tell me again how it is colder here...

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Barbara
Valued Contributor

New Jersey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  05:47:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Colder then I have seen it in many years. Also read some where that we may be due for another "little ice age."
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  09:53:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
bbbbrrrrr cold. It has been a cold winter. The tires on my rollator keeps getting stuck in the snow.

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  10:30:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love winter and I love snow, but even I've reached my limit.
It's too bitterly arctic cold this winter! -20 below Monday night. When it dips that cold the house/windows make sounds that I don't like. Thankful the furnace is only a year old, it's getting a workout.

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  10:55:47 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We received ANOTHER 5" of the white stuff overnight. Winds are expected later today to gust up to 50 mph with blowing snow. Monday night our temps are expected to reach -24 degrees with a windchill of -50 degrees. Jnanne, 35 degrees is 35 degrees unless you live in an area with high humidity. Then, 35 feels much colder, where as states without humidity conditions feels a lot warmer and people can enjoy the temps. I visited my sister in AZ a couple of weeks ago where the mornings were in the 35 range, yet it felt very comfortable in a long sleeved shirt for those of us from states with high humidity, while others wore heavy jackets. Summer in WI comes, and 85 feels like a 100 and a sweat shop. and were miserable. I loved AZ in the winter, but come spring, its the last place on earth I want to be.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  5:34:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Apparently the folk down here believe they have a corner on the humidity market. Illinois was a swampland before tiles were put beneath the topsoil to create drainage and make for some of the richest farmland around. The humidity in IL is pretty much the same as in Louisiana. And IL isn't the only northern state with high humidity.

I truly believe the natives down here feel colder at 35 because they are not used to it and they don't have adequate clothing for cold weather. Now, if someone could tell me how to decrease the humidity, especially in August, I'd make a lot of new friends!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  06:52:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is minus 17 below with -35 below windchill and parts of WI/MN and a couple of other states have been ordered to turn our thermostats down to 60 degrees due to an explosion of natural gas lines that took place just south of Winnepeg,Canada. We did as requested. Luckily, I have an electric fireplace I use primarily as just a decoration in the LR, so I turned that on low to heat the main part of the house. I also turned both my electric blanket, and heated mattress pad on overnight to stay cozy warm. Its doing a great job. Very comfortable wearing sweatshirt with a shirt underneath around the house. Our provider hopes to have all three gas lines up and running hopefully today.
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  6:29:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We've got a winter weather advisory from 7am tomorrow until sometime Wednesday afternoon. Right now it's just getting colder, it was in the 60s this afternoon, and tomorrow it's supposed to snow and be in the low 30s.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  06:12:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter was bemoaning the fact that although the news says many schools in Louisiana are closed today because of the coming storm, hers was not. The biggest danger on the roads here will be people who are not experienced with ice and snow. You get that up north with all new drivers, but even those folk are used to riding with more experienced folk--and have been given good instruction in drivers' ed classes, so they outgrow their inexperience in a year or two.

Temps certainly feel frigid--and I saw a lot of kids in skimpy jackets or no jackets when I dropped off at the school this morning.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  08:38:45 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't envy anyone having to drive when the roads are bad, especially ice covered. I hope, those of you in states expecting this snowstorm and ice are wise and stock up on the things youll know youll need,beforehand. Even though we in WI are used to getting snow, and freezing rain, it isn't any fun being out there in it. I can only imagine that especially when your state isn't one to get this kind of weather normally. I learned my lesson a few years ago, so now take advantage of the day, or two warning before a storm comes to get my errands done, so I can sit home, and not feel compelled to go out for milk. Drive safe and stay warm. By the way, we were notified we can turn out heat back up to normal settings. Today we woke up to -19 degrees and windchill of -39 below! We are VERY tired of the cold this year. Spring cant come fast enough.
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  10:02:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is below zero in Ohio and we are experiencing a phenomena called ice roll ups. flat sheets of ice and snow rolled into a jelly roll like configuration caused by the winds.The schools have been closed for the past two days.

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  09:09:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very unusual, Luci. I had never heard of such a thing and had to look it up. I hope you took pictures as these are very rare according to the information provided.
AGAIN, we are being bombarded with that white stuff! Today expecting 3-6" but forecasted on the high side of that in our area. At least the snow plows will go through today because it will be over the 3" requirement before the plows leave the barn. Saw the weather reports for down south. HOPE everyone is safe and sound that had to be on the roads.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2014 :  3:14:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is snowing!! Real snow!! And while I doubt it is going to stick around for any length of time at all, there are actually visible pockets of accumulation at the bases of trees and other sheltered spots. Mostly the ground is wet and slick, and as it gets colder tonight (supposed to be 20 degrees overnight) it will just get slicker. The road conditions themselves won't be nearly as scary as the drivers who won't expect it to be slicker than what we get when it rains.

I don't plan to leave the house before church on Sunday. Hopefully it will dry up tomorrow and not have any wet on the roads to freeze overnight to make Sunday morning treacherous.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums