Page: of 52

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  1:38:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
still cold....

but I do have new snow boarding pants this year. I have worn them every day, even inside. This Florida girl is cold.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  2:12:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, we don't have snow, but we do have ugliness falling from the sky. The ice on the hood of the car I parked half an hour ago has almost covered the black paint completely and the brick patio is no longer visible. Tufts of grass are sticking out of the shiny, if bumpy, yard. Sure glad I got home just as it started to fall.

There were icy patches on the highway overpasses as I drove home from work. I'm starting to worry about my husband coming home around 9 or 10pm tonight. The roads may be glassy by then--and too many folk down here just don't have a reason to know how to drive in this mess. (My theory is that the best way to drive is to stay home when the roads are like this, especially when there's no salt or plows available).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  12:51:52 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how you fared with this storm. This has been an unbelievable winter for all across the country. How long will it take for that ugly stuff to melt down there? I totally agree with your comment about the best way to drive..Stay home unless you absolutely have to travel to work, or an emergency. Are there quit a few without electricity? I was looking at the news that had pictures of hi-ways being deserted. Weve finally made it out of the minus degree temperatures, and now experiencing a heat wave with a temp of 19 above, with a windchill of 10 degrees. Guess Ill stay up north here.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
Star Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  09:46:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Moved from RI to Maine to Philadelphia and I can honestly say this is the most wretchedly wicked winter yet! I just don't want to deal with this sort of mess in an urban area! There's no place for the snow and the melt just makes big dirty icky puddles which then freeze. I have a tiny apartment because I can usually be outside but not this winter! ARGH! Two days of messy snow and now rain today and I have some serious cabin fever!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  06:11:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--the kids were out of school for two days, as the predictions were for the storm to arrive during school and the superintendant didn't want the kids going home in the mess. It all stuck around for less than 24 hours. Temps have been in the 60's and 70's since Saturday. Wild.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LuciCCham
Star Contributor

Shaker Heights, Ohio
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  10:06:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Another 6-8 inches here in Ohio. Winter please go away. My question is where is all this snow going to go when the weather warms up. To bad we can't ship it all to California, they need it.

Luci
MSPA Gold Certified
Consumer Services Evaluator
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  2:06:05 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Weve had two beautiful days in the 40's!!! Cant believe it. Only problem, were expecting MORE snow again here 6-10" tonight and tomorrow. I believe the weatherman reported weve gotten a total of 55" so far this winter. Sure hope we don't have flooding this spring, the farmers sure need the moisture.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  2:12:22 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spring has arrived!! We received another 10" of the white stuff today. Weve received over 77" of snow this winter with over 2' of snow on the ground here just days ago, even with some melting going on.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  07:30:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is snowing.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  4:04:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today was gorgeous--high around 80, so it is cooling a bit. Haven't heard whether we will have a real winter for a short time this year or if we are returning to the normal southern fall to spring with not much in between.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  1:29:00 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our local weatherman had high hopes with his prediction of 12-14" of snow arriving for this morning. He warned everyone to plan on a 30-40 minute commute to work. Locally, we got enough to cover the grass, and just enough to make the roads a little slick. The further west and north got the brunt of the storm today with measurements from 12-22". Hope we dont see what the weatherman is predicting for later tonight and tomorrow morning of 14".
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  8:07:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Looks like that cold front out of the Arctic is reaching down here finally. It was about 60 this morning when I went to work. By 10am it was much cooler. Into the 40s by evening and supposed to have a hard freeze overnight. Prediction is for this sub-freezing to last about a week--at least for the overnight lows. Not sure it is supposed to stay so cold throughout the daytime. Hope not. I'm still looking forward to a return to the good old southern non-winters.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  05:30:39 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
This mornings temp is 16 degrees but feels like 6 degrees with a light 7mph wind. For the next 7 days the weatherman predicts our daytime highs to be from 19 to highs of 25, with night time lows 4 degrees for 4 of the 7 days, and in the teens the remaining. Even for up here, this is cold for this time of year. I generally read the news from Minnesota, and saw pictures posted by viewers of vehicles sitting in parking lots that had 4-5' high snow buildup on their roofs. Luckily, we didnt get the amount of snow they did. I'll bet these cold mornings are even colder when you dont ordinarily get these cold temps where you live, and worse if you dont own winter coats. I wonder how McBarb is doing out east. Theyre getting some of this nasty too.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  08:20:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rather ironic, I mailed out the church newsletter yesterday--that I printed the previous day. I always do a story on the back page about the community garden, and this one was titled, As Long as the Weather Holds, talking about how lucky we are in the south that we have such a long growing season. As I was leaving the building to head for the bulk mail office I was looking at the sad piles of wilted plants and the large number of green tomatoes and small eggplants that had been frozen.

It got down into the 20's overnight and is predicted to do that for about a week. 40's during the day.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  08:15:56 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thats really too bad there were so many vegetables that were left to freeze. Surely, the weatherman forecasted the coming cold weather so that those veggies could have been rescued, and offered for free to the parishioners. If youve never had green tomato relish, it is DELICIOUS. There are many recipes online, with two favorite recipes of ours that include Tummeric, with, or without a container of mustard in the relish,along with other spices that are super good. Our friends, and family love both on hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, and venison weiners. Even frozen tomatoes can be used to make the relish, as Ive been caught in the same situation of not staying on top of the weather, and have used them. This bitter cold weather is hanging on, and the gusty wind is brutal.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  5:11:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Weather predictions had actually been for the cold to get below freezing over the weekend, and the garden committee had made plans to get together to strip the plants on Friday after work. The cold front arrived sooner than expected. However, they were able to salvage quite a bit and many folk have been eating fried green tomatoes the last few days.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  06:53:42 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL. Sounds like the weatherman in your area dont predict the weather any better than they do up here. A good many residents up here do their own weather forecasting by looking out the window. What they see, is what we get. Its another c-o-l-d morning, 8 degrees but feels like 5. Weatherman IS saying that next week we should return to more seasonable weather, in the 30's. Hopefully, decent temps will come your way also.
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  3:07:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cleveland is 15 degrees with light snow on the ground, and Lake Erie is steaming. But I heard that part of Buffalo got 50 inches of snow!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  7:03:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a headline that indicated all 48 contiguous states are experiencing sub-freezing weather right now. I think that's a first in my memory. Unseasonably cold for much of the country. Or is that unreasonably cold? Maybe both...

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  06:17:08 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its unbelievable how many states/cities got dumped on with huge amounts of snow, and brutally cold temps. The weatherman reported last night a small town north of us received 50" of snow the other day, and yesterday received another 23", which is a total far above their yearly average. With the possibility of seeing temps rise this weekend into the 40's(weatherman changed his forecast),at least locally, we should see a lot of melting, hopefully.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums