Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  2:19:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hope that doesn't result in flooding. My last year in TN we had 20" of snow and ice that kept us in our mountain homes for a week or so (no driving on steep inclines in that), and when it melted my home was only half submersed. I was at the top of the mountain, so all my neighbors were completely under water for 2-3 days.

Nothing like the devastation of the flooding in the Midwest in later years that created what appeared to be a new Great Lake, but it certainly was frightening at the time.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  06:25:06 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
All of our snow is GONE! the temps were in the low 50's yesterday, with rising temps all night long. I was shocked to see at 530AM the lawn was mostly green, and thoroughly green my mid morning. Wonderful! Now it is snowing, with an expected 1-3". ONLY in WI.can you expect shorts one day, and winter gear the next. I don't know how this is going to work out as our ground isn't frozen yet.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  4:32:52 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hows this for warm weather? -4 degrees with the windchill of -24 below! Tomorrow is supposed to be much colder with windchill ranging from 30-40 below zero.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2015 :  12:51:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ours in Houston is rain, rain, cold, and more rain, and more cold. It is unusual for us to have this much cold weather.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2015 :  07:17:10 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I took my disabled son back to his home upnorth. The temps up there were -15 degrees with a windchill of -40 with high winds. I thought I was going to freeze to death unloading his things from my car and making trips into the house. Of course, he went home with more than he came with which is par for the course. I dreaded that trip with good reason. Spring cant come fast enough!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2015 :  4:57:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is unusually cold overnight right now, but up in the mid 30's during sunlight hours. However, the weather prediction is for "freezing precipitation" over the weekend, with even colder temps. While that is not horrid for most of the country, I worry for the folk without adequate insulation, heat, winter outerwear, etc. down here.

Most of the winter even wimps like me could survive outdoors with extra blankets, shivering, and whining--okay, I might require extra whining. But if real cold hits and stays, lower-income families and those who are without homes may not have adequate resources to survive very long. The south overall is just not prepared for unusually frigid temps, I'm afraid.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  07:10:38 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnane, since you mention many times about your involvement with your church, do you know if they take money donations to provide needed help to the low income and homeless? If so, I would highly recommend they look into purchasing inexpensive solar blankets that are used to keep people warm in case of being stranded in their cars during storms. I bought four of these for a little over a dollar each. Unfolded, they are approximately the size of a double bed, folded they are half as thin as a deck of cards, and about the same length. These blankets are ultra thin to wrap up in, and look like aluminum foil that uses ones body heat to stay warm. My x-husband was a semi driver and had the opportunity to use his while stranded on the interstate during bad weather, and was very happy with its ability to keep him warm when the truck wasnt running. Thinking about this, it seems a great investment that could help many, instead of a few, considering supplying fabric blankets or jackets cost more, and are bulky for someone to carry around. I purchased mine at an auto parts store, but Im sure if a search online was performed they could be found also. If it werent so darn cold out, Id run out to the garage and grab mine to get the name and manufacturer. I'll provide the info later in the day. The wind here is 13 mph, blowing snow. with -4 degrees temp and feels like -24 below.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  10:43:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to carry those back in the day--don't know when the disappeared out of my life. I'd forgotten all about them. We do a lot with some of the homeless shelters here. Hope House is actually run by the Episcopal Church--it's a day shelter, where folk can go to wash clothes, eat, get help with paperwork, bathe, etc., but not a place to sleep.

Our parish collects all kinds of things for the shelters, and since those are probably not big in the stores down here (real winter coats and boots aren't, that's for sure), I will look for them on-line. Thanks for the reminder!

All the Episcopal congregations in our convocation also share in the support of St. Luke's Mobile Medical Ministry. The van provides medical care for folk in the rural areas and in the poorer urban areas--everything from mammograms to blood sugar screenings. The folk on the van pass out vouchers for Goodwill, reading glasses, discount prescription cards, and several other items that were not intended to be part of their original ministry. Don't see why we can't add these blankets to the list!

The weather prediction of threats of complete nastiness this weekend are downgraded to complete yuckiness (not a direct quote)--a big improvement in my book.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  11:29:18 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I braved the wind, and ran to my car to get my blanket info. The maker is Ozark Trail, size is 52x84, is called emergency blanket. Its made of Aluminum with laminated polyethylene, reflects body heat and is windproof and waterproof. Mine is still in the original packaging. They sell today for $4.95 each on the Ozark Trail site. Still, thats a good price when one thinks about the warmth, and portability of it. When folded its about as long as a deck of cards and narrower which makes it something to carry in ones pocket, instead of lugging a blanket, or a heavy jacket.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  5:35:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We used to use them when we went camping. They were great to wrap between the sheet and the sleeping bag. And my dad always kept them in the car for kids to use. I never cared for the feel of them against my skin, but no doubt they do the job.

Thanks for the info. I will order some for distribution.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  05:15:37 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I have to tell you I mailed my solar blanket to my paraplegic son, to put in his 4-wheeler, just in case he ever got stranded. Well, two days after, he rode his wheeler to the mailbox 4 blocks from the house that is located on a dead end road, and his wheeler broke down. Living in the backwoods way out in the sticks with few cars going by, he was stranded. Unsuccessful at getting the wheeler running, and very cold, he used the blanket to warm up.Once warm, he proceeded to drag his body back to the house on the dirt road, stopping twice to warm up again in the blanket, before making it to the house. He said it took him over an hour to reach the house, and the blanket was a lifesaver.Id held onto that blanket for 20 years and never used it, and just two days after he received it, it may have saved his life.
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  2:42:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone in the blizzard area?
It missed us in Cleveland, thank goodness.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  3:59:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spring is here.. tra la tra la. I went for a walk in the woods yesterday...50's, sunny and breezy. Gorgeous spring weather.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  09:49:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some of you may have followed the news about the recent floods we have been having in Houston (and still under flash flood warnings).

500 cows got stuck on a patch of ground that was shrinking because of the water rising. Some cowboys had to do an old fashioned cattle drive to get them off into the water to swim and then herd them to dry ground. Some of the cows drowned, unfortunately, and some panicked and turned back. I think they managed to get 200 off the "island."

There was a cute picture in the paper showing the cows being herded up US-90 and being followed by the usual traffic that had to wait until the cows were off the road.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  06:46:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shreveport is separated from Bossier City by the Red River. Apparently BC is at a lower elevation, as they have been experiencing flooding for a while, now. The river is going to overflow the banks and top the levees this week. They are evacuating neighborhoods along the river on the Shreveport side, now.

I think we are at a high enough elevation that we should be fine, but I expect much of the community will be affected in some way. We've already lost a lot of big trees--weakened by the 3-year drought, this heavy rain has just allowed them to topple over in the sodden ground. They pull down power lines as they fall, crush cars and houses, etc.

Several tornadoes touched down a week or so ago, causing major damage to a few homes. As far as I know, there were no fatalities--just property damage. The government has declared this community a disaster area.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  10:41:01 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jananne, we hope you, and everyone else experiencing this are all safe, and not seeing major damage to your city,or homes. I didnt realize LA. has been experiencing drought that bad. We hear a LOT about the drought, and effects of it happening out west, but very little about problems in the south. Up north here, weve been getting rain at good intervals, along with 1-6" accumulations. Lots of thunder storms like never before with constant lightning, and high winds. Its been quite the light show.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  11:16:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, we miss you at the gardening thread but I hope you and your family are ok. I used to live in Thibodaux and Morgan City. My ex-husband worked on the flood wall project for the Mississippi river.

We have sunshine and humid weather here now. We had a rain storm earlier today. Now it is just hot and steamy humid.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  06:15:22 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We just got over a good weeks worth of hot (low 90's),high humidity (in the seventies) weather we arent used to. The weatherman reported our humid conditions as "tropical". I didnt leave the house even to go get groceries it was so miserably hot. Thank God, for air conditioning!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  5:38:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had a small amount of real rain yesterday. Today it was almost misty. I don't know if it was really heavy humidity or really light sprinkling. Whatever it was, the temp actually got down to 89! Mighty comfy outside today, especially with the cloud cover. Maybe more real rain tomorrow?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LuptonInVirginia
Contributor

Virginia
USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  05:53:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After a very wet first half of the summer it's been dry now for about a month. It was hot, REALLY hot but it's cooled off. Temps during the day are in the mid 80s while at night it gets down to about 60. Great weather to sleep with the windows open.

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums