Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  2:27:23 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Finally, the sun! Weve had a solid week of fall weather, cold, lots of rain and blustery winds. Now, we get to enjoy some hot, humid weather for this coming whole week, starting tomorrow. Not looking forward to having the A/C on, and no windows open.I feel sorry for kids having to return to school on the 1st, no A/C in the schools.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  7:19:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We enjoyed a nice week or so of fall weather (well, as fall as it gets down here). The temps were high 70's to low 80's during the day. However, that didn't last long. We are back to highs in the mid to upper 90's. Wonder if we'll see any more fall before the week of winter before spring?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  2:11:39 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I dont know much of anything about the state you live in and wonder, do you experience high humidity, or dry heat? Ive thought being the state is close to the ocean it would be a humid state. I turned the furnace on for an hour this morning just to take the chill out. Temp got down to 29 degrees last night with a lot of frost. Our growing season is officially over now.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  8:48:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Louisiana is generally very humid with lots of bayous and wetlands. However, at the northern end of the state most of the bayous are all dried up at the moment. The wetlands are farther south, along the coast. And the sultry air of a typical Louisiana summer is a distant memory in our parish, at least--even down by the Red River. It is so odd to see the river up because of flooding north of us while our ground is turning to sand and dust and the edges of the river are being eroded more quickly than usual.

The turtles and alligators and other wetland animals are crowding together onto smaller pieces of real estate. I'm seeing a lot more lizards--geckos and chameleons, I think, up around the house this year than in the previous two years on this property. Many fewer humming birds, but lots of hornets and wasps, especially red wasps. The flies are huge this year and very prolific, too. But the mosquitoes are definitely reduced in number! And I have seen fewer dead armadillos at the side of the road and heard fewer people complaining about them ruining flower beds and lawns (could be because the lack of rain has already ruined the flower beds and lawns so any damage the critters do is not noted).

As of last week there is a burn ban in our area and a watch for grass and other wild fires. I'm surprised those calls weren't made much sooner, but what do I know? I certainly don't have long-term experience with the conditions down here and don't have intimate knowledge of the water tables, etc.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  09:55:08 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The humidity is a killer down there, especially when youve mentioned having high temps. Thank you for reporting the dire conditions, and reptile activity, I found it VERY informative and interesting.NOT too sure Id want to contend with crocodiles though! We also experience humidity here, but worse on extremely hot days its horrible! 97% humidity yuk! Its like taking a shower without water needed. We had lots of rain this summer, with high humidity at times, yet my x-hubby is saying this year the moisture levels were low in his soy beans, and ideal for combining earlier than in past years. He had his crop cut and to the mill before anyone around, according to the mill operator. Some of the farmers saw him hauling to the mill, and asked him about the early combining, and they went back to their farms and began combining once they checked the moisture level in their crops.. A very strange occurrence for here.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  2:52:08 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, how are you doing down there? Heard on the news heavy rain and flooding occurring there, and electricity is out. Hope everyone is fine.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  09:14:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
we had steady rain in our area for three days straight--almost non-stop, mostly from the fall-out as hurricane Patricia (?) passed over Mexico and was downgraded to a tropical storm--then met up with the weather system that was drowning the midwestern states. I drove north from Lake Charles area on Saturday in some pretty heavy downpour that kept traffic crawling--saw a large pick-up hydroplane, but no accidents.

Our ground was able to soak up the rain without flooding because it was so gentle and steady for the most part in Caddo Parish. There's a green tint to the grass that we haven't seen for a while, but the trees and shrubbery still look mighty thirsty.

Some areas suffered electrical shortages. We had some flickering at my house, but nothing more bothersome than making us reset a few clocks. The gardeners at the church took advantage of the softer ground to rip out the summer plants and put in fall crops. Hopefully they will be as productive as the summer planting was. We were able to give away an awful lot of veggies this summer and would love to continue to do so year-round.

Temps are down to something more reasonable for fall, now. It's in the 70's to low 80's during the day. Down into the 6's overnight. To me that is great winter weather, too!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  1:27:14 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Happy to hear something good came out of having a lot of rain, and you didnt receive any flooding.
Will continue my post in "frugal living".
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  4:31:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The rain continues. It has been a drizzly, misty kind of day. Not hard enough to discourage the dogs from going out to do their business, but not something you'd be comfortable walking around in without a raincoat or umbrella for very long.

It is funny to walk on the grass and have it still feel crunchy under your feet (even though it is soaked), but see that it is turning green again. Trees and shrubs still trying to get caught up. We may have lost several of our azaleas this summer. They were already having trouble recovering from the last two years of drought. Year 3 may have been the killer. We'll see in the spring.

Temps continue in the 70s and 80s in the daytime and go into the 60s overnight. Seems the rain brought cooling winds.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  12:59:09 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
After having a beautiful weekend in the 60's rain is coming in out of the south. Were located on the furthest northern edge of it, consequently, we wont be in any danger of the severe T-storms, flooding, or tornadoes experienced in Texas,or Louisiana. My daughter lives in Prescott, AZ and sent a picture this morning of the snow they received overnight. Hope youre not drowning in water again Jnanne.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  08:01:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not drowning yet, but there have been heavy thunderstorms for several hours. Just let up a bit ago, but is drizzling. Severe weather predicted for the next 24 hours, with flash-flood warnings, then sunshine for a day or two. Haven't heard anything beyond that. Temps in the 70's, so it really doesn't feel bad--just wet.

Driving on the interstate to work today we were moving between 35 and 50 and I never felt a need to go faster than traffic around me. That pace seemed about right for the conditions. A bit late for work--but better that than involved in an accident. All the other drivers seemed to be of the same mind (for once).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  09:11:35 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Weve mainly had drizzle, with intermittent rain with less than a half inch accumulated in the last 24 hours. The weather lady just changed our forecast. Now were going to experience drizzle for a couple of days, until a new storm comes in from the west which has been dumping snow on its way. Our highs for the weekend are to only be in the 20's, with possibly snow. It doesnt sound like it will be accumulative though... sad for opening deer hunting weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  1:42:38 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Tornado siren went off this morning at about 3:45am. Thankfully no tornado for the eastern half of DFW but North of Fort Worth got a small F0 tornado.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  08:05:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The rain has ended and it is very sunny and beautiful, but the warmth seems to have seeped away. High in the low 60s for the next couple of days. Overnight in the 40s.

I heard on the news that some of the houses that were flooded earlier this year flooded again this week, but at least it was not for an extended period of time. I hope they were able to get it dried out quickly. The unusual thing is that while in many cities it is the poor neighborhoods who are stuck in the flood plains, here it is the expensive homes built on the wrong side of the levy that are having problems. Don't know why folk would build between the river and the levy--seems like a bad idea to me. On the other hand, I can understand people who have not experienced flooding not comprehending the danger until it is too late.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2015 :  6:42:05 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Woke up to temp of 30 degrees and feel like temp of 10. The rest of the day wasnt much better. We had snow flurries at one point with the sun shining which was very pretty, but all that sun sure was deceiving when you stepped outside to biting, cut to the bone type cold.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  11:23:37 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
42 degrees today, with highs for all of next week in the 40's also. Feels like spring! Lovin it!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2015 :  11:48:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--79 degrees today, with highs for all of next week in the 70's also. Feels like spring! Lovin it!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  07:30:09 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now that feels more like summer to me, and would have me definitely into gardening. I envy you!
Its been very cloudy, with drizzle now and again with those temps in the 40's. Were in for some heavy rain this weekend with possibly 1.5 inches.The weatherman said the conversion for that amount would be 10" of snow. This is the remnant of the storms our southern folks had last week.Still no snow here, and sure arent complaining. Sounds like this next week that may change though with predictions of every day. JUst hope roads are clear by Thursday or friday, when I head north to pick up my son to come visit for a week or two.
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  6:45:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are having great weather in Cleveland OH. 1/2" of snow in November, none yet in December, and 60 degree days this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  10:07:24 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You gotta love those 60 degree temps! We had a few days to enjoy those temps ourselves, it definitely helps to shorten up the winter.Weve also been very lucky to not get much of anything for snow. Each storm has either passed to the northwest, or further to the east. the last snow we had was only enough to notice a few flakes on the grass.Weve been too dry for anything to hit us the weatherman says,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums